Jazz box set sale to "celebrate" forced early retirement

Please IM or emal john.felser@verizon.net if interested

$5 flat rate shipping for any size order

Miles Davis – Complete On The Corner (6 CD) $170  slight dent on back of metal case, otherwise mint.

Charles Mingus – Complete Debut Recordings (12 CD) $95

Woody Shaw – Complete Muse Sessions (Mosaic) (7CD) $190

Gerald Wilson – Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings (Mosaic) (5 CD) $95

Vandermark 5 – Alchemia (12 CD) $150

Dexter Gordon – Mosaic Select $60

Randy Weston – Mosaic Select  $45  *On Hold*

Akiyoshi-Tabackan Big Band – Mosaic Select $90

Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select $40  *On Hold*

Miles Davis & Gil Evans – Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (Metal Spine) (6 CD) $40

Steve Lacy and Mal Waldron – Live at Dreher Paris 1981 (4 CD) (promo) $45  *On Hold*

Wayne Shorter – Complete Columbia Albums Collection (6 CD) $25 *On Hold*

Erroll Garner – Telarc Archive (6 CD)  $25

Stan Kenton – Retrospective (4 CD) $10 *On Hold*

Buck Clayton – Complete Legendary Jam Session Master Takes (3 CD) $10

Debut Records Story (4 CD) $18

Chet Baker – Riverside and Jazzland Albums (7 CD) (Universal box set) $30

Edited by felser

35 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Sorry to see you have to sell so much stuff because of your forced early retirement. All the best!

Thanks Ken, we'll be OK, just shuts down some options such as changing housing to make more room for my daughter and grandson.   Have been meaning to eventually sell off a lot of this once I stopped working.  This is barely the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I'll be listing to sell.

My retirement wasn't forced but bribed. Those of us who took the university's offer of 6 months pay to retire by June 30 were amply rewarded. They also paid me for two months of unused annual leave, plus I had a total of 9 months of other annual leave and accumulated sick leave that added 9 months credit to calculating my pension. I've been retired for six years and love it!

Edited by Ken Dryden

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

My retirement wasn't forced but bribed. Those of us who took the university's offer of 6 months pay to retire by June 30 wer amply rewarded. They also paid me for two months of unused annual leave, plus I had a total of 9 months of other annual leave and accumulated sick leave that added 9 months credit to calculating my pension. I've been retired for six years and love it!

I didn't make out quite so well, but I did ok and I'm glad I took the offer.  My condolences to felser, it's nice to have a choice in such a big life decision.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I got a surprisingly good package even though the separation was involuntary, for which I am thankful.   And my wife and I are both Medicare eligible, so I've been able to get us enrolled for Medicare B and D with great help from a kind and knowledgeable board member here.  Just happened 3 years earlier than I had planned/wanted.

Mine wasn’t forced per se but I would have lost money on my pension plan had I stayed on so I opted for retirement.  About a year and a half later, they started “reducing headcount,” as they call it, so I probably would have had no choice at that point. 

Shame to have to think of selling off this good stuff just when you are able to enjoy. To me, half the appeal of retiring is to actually have the time to listen to these sets. In fact, it is starting to sound damn appealing..;)

Those Debut boxes are particularly good !

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Shame to have to think of selling off this good stuff just when you are able to enjoy. To me, half the appeal of retiring is to actually have the time to listen to these sets. In fact, it is starting to sound damn appealing..;)

Those Debut boxes are particularly good !

I actually was planning to sell most of this eventually anyways.  Just happen to have more time and motivation now.  

On 7/25/2021 at 6:25 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

All I've ever wanted from my profession is to retire from it.

Same here. And I'm very glad that at 58 I'm already pensioned. But I have witnessed other people who think the other way round. Like "what are you without a profession"? And how do you spend your friggin time? That's a question I've had to encounter very often.

54 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

"what are you without a profession"? And how do you spend your friggin time? .

Neither is a concern for me.  My profession paid the bills, it didn't define me.  And anyone who wants ideas on how to spend time, there's a whole world of worthy opportunities.  Help teach kids to read, for one.  I want to look into that at some point.  

40 minutes ago, felser said:

Neither is a concern for me.  My profession paid the bills, it didn't define me.  And anyone who wants ideas on how to spend time, there's a whole world of worthy opportunities.  Help teach kids to read, for one.  I want to look into that at some point.  

a very Prussian attitude btw, remember my mother telling me "when we just do our job, it has to be at least as good as what others do when they're putting their heart and soul into it" (and this line of thought comes from the Prussian roots of the family she explained)... she recently retired and felt so misunderstood when people said that she'd been passionate about what they'd been doing there