The Mastery of John Coltrane Series & The CD Era

colinmce

Below are the content of these sets with my notes tracing their appearance on CD. It took me a minute to untangle all this, hoping it could be of help to anyone looking to complete their Impulse-era Coltrane collection down to the track, as I am!

--------------------------------------

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. I Feelin' Good
Feelin' Good    6:20
My Favorite Things    14:44
Living Space    10:20
Untitled 90320    10:44
Untitled 90314    14:40
Dusk-Dawn    10:45
Nature Boy    6:52
Joy    12:10
["Living Space > "Dusk-Dawn" released on Living Space. "Joy" from Infinity, released here without string overdubs, as well as on First Meditations For Quartet. "My Favorite Things" was from Newport 1965, hence released on the New Thing At Newport CD and My Favorite Things: Coltrane At Newport. "Feelin' Good" and "Nature Boy" released on the Coltrane Quartet Plays CD]

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. II To The Beat Of A Different Drum
Impressions    15:52
I Want To Talk About You    8:17
My Favorite Things    17:31
After The Rain    4:07
Dear Old Stockholm    10:35
After The Crescent    13:34
One Down, One Up    15:25
Dear Lord    5:34
["Impressions" > "My Favorite Things" released on Newport '63. "After The Rain" > "Dear Lord" released variously on Transition and Dear Old Stockholm] 

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. III "Jupiter Variation"
Number One    11:56
Peace On Earth    7:08
Jupiter (Variation)    6:45
Leo    11:00
["Jupiter Variation" and "Leo released on Interstellar Space CD editions. "Peace On Earth" from Infinity, released only here without string overdubs. "Number One" released on the Expression CD]

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. IV "Trane's Modes" 
Impressions (Take One)    8:50
Miles' Mode    10:00
Chasin' Another Trane    15:34
Greensleeves (Take Two)    4:50
Impressions (Take Two)    10:55
Naima    7:39
Africa (First Version)    14:06
The Damned Don't Cry    7:38
["Impressions > "Naima" released on The Complete Village Vanguard box set. "Africa" and "Damned" released on The Complete Africa/Brass]

The conclusion I would draw, then, is that the original "Peace On Earth" is the only track from these albums that was never reissued elsewhere, aside from the Japanese CD of this compilation. 

59 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Below are the content of these sets with my notes tracing their appearance on CD. It took me a minute to untangle all this, hoping it could be of help to anyone looking to complete their Impulse-era Coltrane collection down to the track, as I am!

--------------------------------------

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. I Feelin' Good
Feelin' Good    6:20
My Favorite Things    14:44
Living Space    10:20
Untitled 90320    10:44
Untitled 90314    14:40
Dusk-Dawn    10:45
Nature Boy    6:52
Joy    12:10
["Living Space > "Dusk-Dawn" released on Living Space. "Joy" from Infinity, released here without string overdubs, as well as on First Meditations For Quartet. "My Favorite Things" was from Newport 1965, hence released on the New Thing At Newport CD and My Favorite Things: Coltrane At Newport. "Feelin' Good" and "Nature Boy" released on the Coltrane Quartet Plays CD]

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. II To The Beat Of A Different Drum
Impressions    15:52
I Want To Talk About You    8:17
My Favorite Things    17:31
After The Rain    4:07
Dear Old Stockholm    10:35
After The Crescent    13:34
One Down, One Up    15:25
Dear Lord    5:34
["Impressions" > "My Favorite Things" released on Newport '63. "After The Rain" > "Dear Lord" released variously on Transition and Dear Old Stockholm] 

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. III "Jupiter Variation"
Number One    11:56
Peace On Earth    7:08
Jupiter (Variation)    6:45
Leo    11:00
["Jupiter Variation" and "Leo released on Interstellar Space CD editions. "Peace On Earth" from Infinity, released only here without string overdubs. "Number One" released on the Expression CD]

The Mastery Of John Coltrane / Vol. IV "Trane's Modes" 
Impressions (Take One)    8:50
Miles' Mode    10:00
Chasin' Another Trane    15:34
Greensleeves (Take Two)    4:50
Impressions (Take Two)    10:55
Naima    7:39
Africa (First Version)    14:06
The Damned Don't Cry    7:38
["Impressions > "Naima" released on The Complete Village Vanguard box set. "Africa" and "Damned" released on The Complete Africa/Brass]

The conclusion I would draw, then, is that the original "Peace On Earth" is the only track from these albums that was never reissued elsewhere, aside from the Japanese CD of this compilation. 

In addition to the individual CDs you mention, it should be noted that the following also appear on the box set "The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings":

Feelin' Good, Living Space, Untitled 90320, Untitled 90314, Dusk-Dawn, Nature Boy (first version), Joy (Second Version), Dear Old Stockholm, After The Crescent, One Down, One Up, Dear Lord.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvinyl.com.ua%2Ffiles%2F

27 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I love that Mastery Of John Coltrane V. 2: To The Beat Of A Different Drum.  Thanks for this sorting of discographical information.

Yes, that Newport '63 "My Favorite Things" is the Coltrane track I listen to the most.