Vinyl on your walls

Pim

13 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Noticing the Vertigo poster on the right, have you ever found Bernard Herrmann's soundtrack LP, the original one on the Mercury label?  The cover was a close-up of Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak.  The late-70s Netherlands reissue unfortunately had hideous cover art.

R-2149845-1344091198-6395.jpeg.jpg

I don't have the actual soundtrack from the film, like the one pictured above.

But I do have a recording of the complete score -- by Joel McNeely and the Scottish RNO:

81DXckMeXVL._SX566_.jpg

Fantastic music (and film), of course.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how some of those older covers can spur memories associated with them.
Alkebu-Lan, for me, has the most impact. In '72, I had a blackboard on a wall that
was adjacent to my music practice room and that opening four-minute invocation
from that album was something that I not only had memorized, but had written in
full on that attached blackboard for many months - much to the chagrin of family.
I think I have, at least, three copies of that. A passion for Black Unity Trio as well.

2 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Funny how some of those older covers can spur memories associated with them.
Alkebu-Lan, for me, has the most impact. In '72, I had a blackboard on a wall that
was adjacent to my music practice room and that opening four-minute invocation
from that album was something that I not only had memorized, but had written in
full on that attached blackboard for many months - much to the chagrin of family.
I think I have, at least, three copies of that. A passion for Black Unity Trio as well.

:o

for what it is worth I know a little more about the Alkebulan reissue. It's a slow process but afaik it is still happening!

1 minute ago, clifford_thornton said:

for what it is worth I know a little more about the Alkebulan reissue. It's a slow process but afaik it is still happening!

It seems to be the time for it, what with "spiritual jazz" and Strata-East both being hot property.

I'd be interested to know what they do with the sound. The original had quite a raw and earthy mix, to be polite about it.

Edited by Rabshakeh

29 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm always interested to see how many other people have vinyl dens / man caves.

My "man cave" is internal, meaning I always have it with me. That's pretty convenient, and at times essential. Hell is not necessarily other people, but it is definitely not being able to block them out.

As for the records/etc. They're all over the house, in several rooms, on all kinds of shelves, some sorted nicely, some just put together because that's when they got there. There's a central city of items, but a lot of sprawling outgrowths that are not really interested in being incorporated into the city right now.

My wife is...understanding. not always "happy", but understanding. What peeves her, to the point of verbal expression is when there are too many piles on top of too many shelves. So I try to be conscious of that, or at least of not letting it get too much. She lets me know when it's time to trim the skyline...

There will be more regimented organization once the collection stops growing. When that will be, hell if I know, but there's a lot of shit I look at and think that I don't really want this, never really liked it anyway, or...heard it a few times, know what it is, never going to want to hear it again, that type of thing. So at some point, clarity of space will take care of itself as the marginal citizens are parsed. Out with the old, in with the new. There's a project!

But "man cave"....never understood the concept myself, seriously. Between roommates (early on), girlfriends, wife, kids...I long ago made my piece with having my "personal space" be inside me head. A physical room...it's not big enough!. Closest I get is when I stay up later than anybody else, and the older I get, the less that happens. But when I retire, I imagine it will be every night!

3 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Is it being done by "people who do not look like me"?

My 'man cave' is my entire flat. One advantage of living alone. The collection sprawls through most of the rooms which isn't difficult in a small London flat.

My partner, a regular visitor of course, can't abide Jazz so the non-Jazz section and Spotify gets well-used too

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My ‘man cave’ occupies just about every room (toilets excluded) :unsure:

Including the attic..

Cunning plan saving the toilets. Always good to have some room for expansion.

I've yet to move into the basement. Too damp.

My apartment in Brooklyn had 11' ceilings and I was able to do shelves much like TTK's setup. All custom birch ply shelving, floor to ceiling.

Now as I'm in the Hudson Valley and living in a house, the LPs are in a couple of rooms to spread out the load and not put undue stress on the floors. It's not as impressive at first glance (and I'm still working on the feng shui) but the contents are what matters. It's a modest size collection of about 6,000 LPs and 2,500 CDs.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Good to hear that. I hope a good job is done with the original tapes.
The albums were those kinds where you could "hear" the music before it actually played. :D

I remember too that some of the references in Kiswahili were hard to understand, so I set out to learn the language.
The hope was extended to learning the nomenclature so I could "translate" the language of the era that I was experiencing
more and more often - especially in music (often on albums from, for instance, Bartz' NTU Troop).

In the early 70s, The Chicago Tribune used to have a service where you could, with a subscription,
have a package arrive every month with a 10" language-learning record inside.
My choice was Kiswahili and they spurred an interest in actually finding proper dictionaries in this language
(and increased my black studies library by quite a bit as well).

Edited by rostasi

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Pim, 

Those framed album covers look NICE. :tup

Rather than framing a few favorites, I made a ledge-like shelf -- like the bottom lip of an old-fashioned chalkboard -- where I can set LPs.  That way, I can easily change what's on display.  Often, when I bring home new (or, more likely, "new-to-me") LPs, I'll display them for a while, so they get some regular spins.  I'm always tinkering with what's up there, moving stuff around.  It's fun.

When friends who aren't jazzheads come to visit, they usually don't recognize many (any!?!) of the musicians.  I'm sharing these pics with you guys because you'll likely recognize them all!  :g

Pic01.png

My "man cave/music room" is narrow, long rectangle -- in the basement.  This above pic is the short wall, one end of the rectangle

Pic02.png

This is the long wall.  My CD shelf is opposite this wall, and there's more LPs on shelves to the left of the Miles poster.

That looks great HutchFan. I like the thing you’ve done with the shelfs. Only artist unknown to me is Claudio Roditi.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm always interested to see how many other people have vinyl dens / man caves. I have always had my collection in a main room (currently in a glass backed cocktail bar in our dining room / kitchen that my wife designed for the records on a whim without telling me). It means that the number of records has to be kept down, and the records have to be sociable (although I have a "dark corner"), so it has never been a serious long term solution to anything, but at least that helps reign in my worst instincts.

I put on Interstellar Space, Albert Ayler and then the JCO and my wife immediately insisted I got my man cave :)

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Since I have many boxes full of vinyl, almost all purchased between 1970- 2010, I could never put all my vinyl on a wall. There are thousands of vinyl records. 

Also, my significant other does not like literally any of my music. She does not want to ever hear it, and definitely does not ever want to see it!

You don’t have to expose them all on the wall ;):P

Really? That would be so great. The sound of my bootleg version suck. Who make me really curious. Who is going the reissue it? Is it Pure Pleasure? 

My apartment in Brooklyn had 11' ceilings and I was able to do shelves much like TTK's setup. All custom birch ply shelving, floor to ceiling.

Now as I'm in the Hudson Valley and living in a house, the LPs are in a couple of rooms to spread out the load and not put undue stress on the floors. It's not as impressive at first glance (and I'm still working on the feng shui) but the contents are what matters. It's a modest size collection of about 6,000 LPs and 2,500 CDs.

Forgive me my voyeurism but I would really want to see some pictures of that collection!

not Pure Pleasure. Very high quality reissue, and the label is working with the man himself on getting it out again.

I'm traveling for work but will try to post up some good shots when I get back in a couple weeks. We moved three months ago and I can safely say everything is out of boxes and into some sort of shelving situation.

Edited by clifford_thornton

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

not Pure Pleasure. Very high quality reissue, working with the man himself on getting it out. 

I'm traveling for work but will try to post up some good shots when I get back in a couple weeks. We moved three months ago and I can safely say everything is out of boxes and into some sort of shelving situation.

Thanks Clifford looking forward to it. Both the release as the pictures :)

1 hour ago, Pim said:

That looks great HutchFan. I like the thing you’ve done with the shelfs. Only artist unknown to me is Claudio Roditi.

I put on Interstellar Space, Albert Ayler and then the JCO and my wife immediately insisted I got my man cave :)

You don’t have to expose them all on the wall ;):P

Oh, my significant other is a wonderful woman but she never wants to see a single album. She often says, "why don't you just listen to music on a smartphone like a normal person?"

3 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

Oh, my significant other is a wonderful woman but she never wants to see a single album. She often says, "why don't you just listen to music on a smartphone like a normal person?"

Yeah, I'd have to tell her why don't you stay glued to YOUR smartphone screen like a "normal person" and that way you don't have to see any of my records.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I'd have to tell her why don't you stay glued to YOUR smartphone screen like a "normal person" and that way you don't have to see any of my records.

I like that. She is far too fierce to actually approach that way!

26 minutes ago, rostasi said:

About 20% of my vinyl wall...

Ra83aXX.jpg

Now that is more like my collection, only it is currently in a climate controlled underground limestone cave storage unit.