Uptown Jazz Records

Chuck Nessa

The post about Dupree Bolton (thanks to my friend Steve Siegel) caused me to see what was still available from the label. I did a shitload of production work for Bob and we had a nasty divorce but there are a ton of wonderful recordings in the catalog.

Anyway, it seems his son is just selling off inventory and not repressing. Over half the catalog is unavailable on Amazon and Dusty, so I suggest grabbing anything you desire. I slept on the Jeri Southern disc and regret it.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

Discogs has several listed but not some of the more recent ones. I wasn’t aware they had done a Billie Holiday one. 

interestingly, the Chubby Jackson release is not listed in discogs (or I can't find it) - have even searched the complete Uptown Jazz list on Discogs without luck

https://www.discogs.com/label/162238-Uptown-Records-2?sort=year&sort_order=asc

I am not optimistic that the son will release any of the projects the father never got around to, e.g. the rest of the Duke Pearson Left Bank dates and the Grant Green Left Bank with John Patton (1966). I wish he would at least give the tapes back...

Edited by bertrand

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Anyway, it seems his son is just selling off inventory and not repressing. Over half the catalog is unavailable on Amazon and Dusty, so I suggest grabbing anything you desire. 

Where is he selling the inventory? Google doesn't seem to help and the discogs link tries to send me somewhere dangerous. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Where is he selling the inventory? Google doesn't seem to help and the discogs link tries to send me somewhere dangerous. 

Thanks 

I meant he seems to be filling orders from distributors, exporters, retail accounts, etc and as inventories dwindle titles are disappearing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 7:12 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I slept on the Jeri Southern disc and regret it.

Hey Chuck! PM me your snail mail address so I know where to have this sent.

I don't have your new address (not that I have your old one anymore either), or maybe you're summering on Martha's Vineyard or something. Just wherever you want this to get to you in about a week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284416472052  :cool: