Rainbow Theatre in London

Hardbopjazz

Ah yes, the Rainbow...aka the Finsbury Park Astoria, was mainly a rock oriented ballroom, kind of a wannabe Fillmore... Opened by 3 shows by the Who, followed by Alice Cooper if I recall correctly. I remember seeing Poco,Little Feat, Steve Miller, a John Cale/Nico/Kevin Ayers thing which I think was recorded and so on...It closed after a few years when the Punk thing cleared the air. I do not recall ever seeing any jazz shows there.

The date was July 10, 1973. Here's the info.

Rainbow Theatre, London

Band recording

Miles Davis Septet

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Dave Liebman (ss, ts, fl); Pete Cosey (g, perc); Reggie Lucas (g); Michael Henderson (el-B); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Foreman (cga, perc)

First set

Turnaroundphrase (M. Davis) 11:55

Tune in 5 (M. Davis) 10:24

Unknown title 730620 (M. Davis) (with applause, announcement) 21:27

Second set

Right Off (M. Davis) 13:38

Ife (M. Davis) 20:50

Calypso Frelimo (M. Davis) (incomplete) 12:18

Cut off at 12:18.

Commentary by Peter Losin:

This recording was probably made by one of the band members, since musicians' voices are audible at several points (9:20, 10:38, 16:50 of "Unknown 730620" and 9:59 of "Right Off"); and Davis can be heard tapping out the tempo for "Ife" at 0:03-0:08.

I remember it well, especially as the Astoria Finsbury Park. Saw some great concerts there, my first Duke Ellington concert (absolutely electrifying), Art Blakey and more. As the Rainbow I think I only saw Miles (offensively loud) and the electric Return to Forever.

As a cinema it was magnificent with a Moorish interior. I believe it was listed as a historic building. Unfortunately it was deteriorating badly last time I was there.

I presume this was recorded at the same place??

d1446002w5q.jpg

The AMG review says: "The Who's Pete Townshend enticed Clapton out for another one-off concert appearance (in fact, there were two shows) at the Rainbow Theatre in London on January 13, 1973, and organized an all-star band to back him."

EDIT: forgot to say "bump". :ph34r:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I went to the Rainbow a couple of times. I saw King Crimson there in late 1973; and I was at the Kevin Ayers/John Cale/Eno/Nico concert in 1974 that eventually became a quite well known LP.

june11974.jpg

Snap! I was at the concert as well. The most memorable moment (for me) was Nico playing alone with her harmonium (assuming she was playing that). I saw quite a few things there, living in London and being a rock fan at the time. Which ones, however, have largely disappeared into the mists of time.

The last time I went past it, maybe 10 years ago, it looked pretty derelict.

Simon Weil

I saw some craking shows there when I lived in London in the mid-late '70s. Actually, more than I can remember, as they were all seen/heard through a haze of hash (man). Little Feat (lousy gig, great album - that's me you can hear clapping on Waiting For Columbus), Spirit and Dickie Betts among them. I always had a good time there.

Yes, I was also at the Spirit gig, or perhaps it was a Kapt Kopter gig in reality. Funny, I had sublimated the fabulous Moorish decorations. I am pretty sure I saw Weather report there as well, but I could be wrong, (yeah I know that I said that I did not see any Jazz there!) Also Little Feat played there at least twice, and I liked them both times! The first was best though...Steely Dan, however,were crap.

looks like all the surviving members of the audience at the John Cale et al show are on this board!

Now does anybody remember the Sundown in Edmonton?