Some previously unreleased Lennie Tristano *IS* in the works!! (Now, from StaMford)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A genuine question…

Why am I so often reminded of Hindemith when listening to the interwoven melody lines (emphasis on “lines”) of 2 or 3 Tristanoites playing off each other?

Not every track — but one or two (even three) tracks per hour inevitably tickle that same spot in my brain that Hindemith’s numerous sonatas do (for practically every orchestral instrument plus piano).

…while we’re waiting for more details on this new bevy of riches from Mosaic.

On 03/08/2021 at 8:21 PM, russes01 said:

Have posted before - but seems worth it to post here: Tristano with accordion - request access when you link - there are several good sides (trio and solo too) happy to share. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHUB_Lk_dF1-ciCbkAhjxk_McV_0Mn6_/view?usp=drivesdk from acetate - not pristine. 

Thanks for making this available. It's well-known that Charlie Christian was one Tristano's favourite soloists, but it's nice to hear such a heavy Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian sextet vibe. The first line on the guitar solo on Found a New Baby is a direct lift from CC's solo on same track. And the intro to Honeysuckle Rose and then the ensemble towards the end are from Gone with What Draft.

F

On 9/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

May be the first Mosaic I’ve ever actually pre-ordered.

I did (but all separately) order the Woody Shaw Muse set, and the Sam Rivers Select, and one of the Charles Tolliver Selects — immediate upon their release. But in each case, I ordered a few days after the pre-order period closed, so I could add a few other sets to my same order.

So, yeah, this might be my first actual PRE-order.

So what does the pre-order really do? I would guess to reserve a set in case it sells-out early. But do you need to pay at time of pre-order or once it is shipped?

Agreed that this is the first Mosaic set that has me excited in a long time. Likely first purchase since the Savory set. Hoping that timing would work that it could be a Christmas or Birthday gift (both late December).

LWayne

44 minutes ago, LWayne said:

So what does the pre-order really do? I would guess to reserve a set in case it sells-out early. But do you need to pay at time of pre-order or once it is shipped?

Agreed that this is the first Mosaic set that has me excited in a long time. Likely first purchase since the Savory set. Hoping that timing would work that it could be a Christmas or Birthday gift (both late December).

LWayne

I think that if you preorder with credit card number you are charged when the order ships.

But I know from experience that if you preorder via PayPal you are charged immediately.

The Bastards have had this on their upcoming releases list for about a week now.  They originally had it listed as being "About November 12th" -- but I see it now says "About November 19th"

Grain of salt, and all that -- lord knows Dusty Groove's estimated dates for new titles isn't anything to bet the farm on.

I'm just hoping to have a copy in my hot little hands sometime before Christmas.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

So what’s the story on Dot Time?

I was about to say I’d only heard of them before, but I see I do have this one release of theirs — an album by Phil Markowitz (piano) and Zach Brock (violin, very much out of the Jean-Luc Ponty school, and very favorably so imho) — which I quite like…

https://www.dottimerecords.com/product/perpetuity/

Dot Time also put out a CD "Lennie Tristano - The Duo Sessions" a year or so ago - previously unreleased tracks of Lennie with Lennie Popkin, Connie Crothers and Roger Mancuso. Carol Tristano wrote the liners and Lennie Popkin was also involved in the production. So there's a connection ...

On 10/15/2021 at 11:44 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Rereading just the new details we have so far, I have to say this set looks incredibly good on paper, and a real treasure trove.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

33 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Have been listening a lot to "Intuition" recently (among other) - the Marsh session. Very intetesting and "refreshing".

I had either “Intuition” or “Digression” come up randomly on Pandora the other day (with my earbuds on, out walking) — and “refreshing” is *PRECISELY* the right word to describe the experience of hearing it out of blue like that — meaning NOT having it preceded by an hour of other Tristano and Marsh material (as it’s programmed on the 76 minute long Intuition CD).

On 9/24/2021 at 0:00 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

A genuine question…

Why am I so often reminded of Hindemith when listening to the interwoven melody lines (emphasis on “lines”) of 2 or 3 Tristanoites playing off each other?

Re: my prior observation, I was listening closely to both “Intuition” and “Digression” a few times each yesterday walking home from work — and I was struck how Hindemithian (Hindeminty?) “Digression” seemed to me especially.

I don’t know enough to argue why (in a music theory sense) — all I know is I’m left with the very same feeling I get listening to any number of the numerous sonatas for solo instrument + piano that Hindemith wrote.

Both of them crackle with moment after moment after moment — that, *if* it was all through-composed, would nearly all be fascinating ‘ideas’ (by which I mean premeditated compositional decisions) — but of course, that wasn’t what was going on. Also, neither track relies on the nervous energy one usually associates with free-playing.

“Digression” feels like a relatively calm, self-assured (collective) tightrope walk.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 10/18/2021 at 7:05 PM, tranemonk said:

I'm looking foward to this set but I find it odd that Mosaic put up a set that's not even available for preorder. They could have at least told us when the preorders would start.... 

Weren’t a couple of the most recent sets that way? I can’t remember for sure, but the Joe Henderson and/or Hank Mobley 60’s sets were like that, iirc. Maybe someone else remembers.