Some previously unreleased Lennie Tristano *IS* in the works!! (Now, from StaMford)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

For whatever reason(s), I seem to vaguely remember they didn’t do preorders for the last 2-3 or even 4 sets they released. I’m half sure that the Joe Henderson and Hank Mobley 60’s sets dropped as live orders, with no presale period.

This is in contrast with whatever earlier sets in the recent (but not as recent) past, where they tried to get so many pre-orders as they could in order to bring the set to final fruition — I’m thinking the most recent Woody Herman set was maybe like that?

I forget all the specifics, but all that’s what’s rattling around in my head, if anyone happened to also remember any of that.

7 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

For whatever reason(s), I seem to vaguely remember they didn’t do preorders for the last 2-3 or even 4 sets they released. I’m half sure that the Joe Henderson and Hank Mobley 60’s sets dropped as live orders, with no presale period.

This is in contrast with whatever earlier sets in the recent (but not as recent) past, where they tried to get so many pre-orders as they could in order to bring the set to final fruition — I’m thinking the most recent Woody Herman set was maybe like that?

I forget all the specifics, but all that’s what’s rattling around in my head, if anyone happened to also remember any of that.

Doubtful about the Mobley 60s...I more than vaguely (albeit with some uncertainty ;)) recall kicking myself for preordering that one via Paypal and thereby having my card charged long before shipping.

36 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Doubtful about the Mobley 60s...I more than vaguely (albeit with some uncertainty ;)) recall kicking myself for preordering that one via Paypal and thereby having my card charged long before shipping.

Maybe it was just the Joe Henderson then. Seems like it dropped out of nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

“Carol Tristano -- Co-Producer Note” (essay) from the liners is now posted in full on the Mosaic page for the new Tristano box — right under the 5 audio samples (when the discography isn’t displayed).

Dec 20 is still the “expected” release date (or did it perhaps say “estimated” before?).  In any case, the date — however it’s termed — is still Dec 20.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not sure when it was added, but I just noticed the introductory explanation of the set on the Mosaic page is now 2-3 times longer.  Wouldn't say it has lots of new info or details, but it's very nicely written and sure whet the appetite to hear all this new material.

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/lennie-tristano/

One phrase in particular...

• "While to some ears Tristano sounds remote or mechanical in his long runs of even eighth notes, a more careful listening reveals the playfulness and passion in his approach on piano."

...instantly made me think of Gary Thomas (of all people) -- who plays hard, and ALSO strings together long, long runs of non-swinging, 'even'  notes (eighth notes, sixteenth, or whatever they are).  I'm not suggesting Tristano is necessarily a direct influence (though I'll have to ask Gary the next time I hear him around DC eventually), but I can say that this common metrical aspect of Lennie's and Gary's playing tickles the same part of my brain.  (Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!  Right there.  THAT's the spot.  Ahhhhhh...:P)

Trane's "sheets-of-sound" stuff during his Prestige years does the same thing to me too, though it's flying by so fast I'm not sure if I could say it's truly "even" or not -- but it sure doesn't "swing" (in terms of the conventional meaning of that word).

Some of Dave Holland's 80's and 90's ECM output also does that to me a bit -- ALTHOUGH, I know that stuff swings like mad.  But there's something about it that also seems to get me in that same particular spot.  That one Steve Coleman/Dave Holland duo album especially -- Phase Space (1991, DIW) -- REALLY pushes those same buttons for me.

(Are any of my oblique connections here making any sense?)

I'm trying to think of "why?"  Maybe is it a similar sense of what I might call "relentlessness forward momentum", particularly on faster tunes?  Whatever it is, I love mainlining that stuff, and it can instantly take me into another world.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I hope this isn't one of those things of, well, we had 50 people preorder but our first shipment was only for 25, so hang in there, ok?

6 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Absent anything new to post in this thread (and still hoping someone will consider my prior post right above this one)…

…here’s some ‘shredding’ on “Wow” :P

Not that it matters, but I really did not like that.

3 minutes ago, John L said:

Mosaic seems to have changed their website.  Instead of receiving a notification that my order has been placed, I got a message that my order "is being reviewed."  What is that all about?   Will they decide after review against letting me have one?

okay, that is bizarre... I didn't get a notification after ordering but when I look at my account the order says "processing." Got nothing for ya. Sorry. I do have a feeling this one is going to go faster than other sets. 

1 hour ago, John L said:

Mosaic seems to have changed their website.  Instead of receiving a notification that my order has been placed, I got a message that my order "is being reviewed."  What is that all about?   Will they decide after review against letting me have one?

I have kept that page open, and after refreshing every so often, I see that it has gone from "received and being reviewed" to simply "has been received". No idea what that means.

I also had to create a new account with a new password with a 12 character minimum.

A 12 character minimum? Seriously?