Some previously unreleased Lennie Tristano *IS* in the works!! (Now, from StaMford)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

My order has now progressed to being "on hold"?

Is there a FAQ somewhere to explain what this means?

I’d bet their new web-store has a slightly different terminology for handling “pre-orders”.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they’re having to put these pre-orders into an “on hold” status for now, since they don’t want your credit card to be processed until right close to the actual shipment date.

The software might have been configured a little better to handle pre-orders — but that just as easily could have required a software customization Mosaic (rightfully) didn’t want to pay for.

My guess is the Tristano release is currently set to require manual approval on each order, and then “putting them on hold” is the best or easiest (or only) way they have to collect pre-orders (addresses, and credit-card info, etc) — even if the status language doesn’t entirely match our expectations.

(Honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

A brief explanation would have been nice...and not difficult to provide.

The email confirmation I got had what I imagine is boilerplate language from the software, for an order that hasn’t been charged yet…

Thanks for your order. It’s on-hold until we confirm that payment has been received. In the meantime, here’s a reminder of what you ordered:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think the fact that it’s a pre-order is the difference. Plus this is the first time they’ve ever done a pre-order under this new system too, and Scott and Michael are kind of still learning some of the ropes (or at least the parts of the system that take orders without running the credit card, but still capturing the cc and shippjng info).

31 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think the fact that it’s a pre-order is the difference. Plus this is the first time they’ve ever done a pre-order under this new system too, and Scott and Michael are kind of still learning some of the ropes (or at least the parts of the system that take orders without running the credit card, but still capturing the cc and shippjng info).

Aren't you supposed to learn stuff like that before going live with it? For a business that does kinda leans into the Pre-Order model, wouldn't there be a basic Beta testing before turning it loose into the wild, where people like me can wonder "WTF?" out loud in public?

I mean, let it do what it do. Just don't make consumers have to guess and speculate and shit about what that "it" is. That ain't right, becuase y'all don't really answer the phone much, and who wants to fuck with email about this.

I get the frustration but I'm cool with waiting to see what happens with the shipping starts. I had kinda gave up hope a few years ago that Mosaic was going to put out anything other than Blue Note and Armstrong stuff. I've been thrilled with the Desmond and am looking forward to this Tristano release. Personally I'm just grateful they're still around turning out some good stuff. 

Now can someone get them to find and release some unreleased Betty Carter live please....

:wub::wub:

40 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Aren't you supposed to learn stuff like that before going live with it? For a business that does kinda leans into the Pre-Order model, wouldn't there be a basic Beta testing before turning it loose into the wild, where people like me can wonder "WTF?" out loud in public?

I mean, let it do what it do. Just don't make consumers have to guess and speculate and shit about what that "it" is. That ain't right, becuase y'all don't really answer the phone much, and who wants to fuck with email about this.

The Museum I work for — and I’ve been working in the Museum Shop now since we reopened to the public back in April — just got a new point-of-sale system in October. And I can tell you that the training doesn’t cover everything, and the more “out of the box” the system is that you’ve bought into, the less “beta-testing” there’s probably going to be.

You might have LIKED to have a lot more specific training, and user-acceptance testing — but it can be a lot more learn-as-you-go (and more than a bit of trial-an-error) that anyone would like.

That’s the reality of how a lot of these things go.

Ok...you do not have a choice. Mosaic is what, a 2-3 person shop? Somebody did what, bought it out of the box, loaded it onto the site, and never even ran a dummy order just to make the stuff worked?

Sounds like they hired a kid who told them yeah, it's on there, and then all went for a nap.

Not that I blame them, naps are awesome, but just how much of an absentee- landlord business is this gonna turn into?

I don’t know what else to say. Real-world implementation of stuff doesn’t always result in an ideal system.  And even decent systems might still not handle everything equally well.

“Preorders” might by this system’s Achilles’ heel — and even then, maybe only in the language (boilerplate) communicated to users used to the cues generated by the former system. 

And resources (money and/or time, where time=money) aren’t always in enough abundance to test and or train for every circumstance. Also, there are often two or more ways within a system to handle the same function — but often with different pros and cons — and they may be trying a couple different ways to process “preorders”.

Or a prior configuration decision made before go-live, may have had unintended consequences, and they might be needing to having to handle preorders differently now.

Yes, yes, yes — a ton of conjecture on my part — guilty as charged.  Back circa 1994-2003, I used to work doing software implementation for a company of several thousand (with a dozen factory and engineering locations throughout the country).

I at least used to know a thing or two about this stuff.

This is not a big business with a lot of employees and a multi-tiered decisioning structure.

Small business, limited descioning, and starting to sound more and more like an absentee landlord scenario.

Who decided to redesign the site, who decided who was going to do it, and who signed off on it going live. It's not like there was a committee or a board, right? 

Unintended consequences, I get. Untested outcomes, though, are unforced errors. Michael, place an order, see how it goes. Scott, place a preorder, see how it goes. Fred, take their money. Any surprises, call the kid back in for an explanation, take a nap and then try again. 

They can write a sort of apology for needing to register for the new site, and that's cool. 15 digit PW seems insane to me, but ok. That may or may not be configurable, but ok. I accept your apology.

So just explain how the new ordering system is gonna work. If you had tried it, once or twice, you would know. And Fred would have your money!

I'm not cancelling my order or anything, but, as is seemingly the new normal, this is more complicated than it needs to be.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Really? So, if i ordered something else from the same website using the exact same process, it would be different than this?

Possibly. I haven't tried it. I buy these as they come out one at a time. I have dealt with DOT before--they are different. I bought a 4 release annual subscription that took over 3 years to be completed.

I use PayPal with Mosaic and always at least have the record of purchase that way.