Some previously unreleased Lennie Tristano *IS* in the works!! (Now, from StaMford)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Ok, I’ve spun discs 6 and 3 (in that order). Wanted to get right to both the ‘free’ material, which is also the bulk of the wire recordings too — figured I’d start at the bottom rung of the sound-quality ladder, and work my way up.

The first half of disc 6 — the 1948 ‘free’ session (from wire) — is lovely, if sonically a bit limiting — but the sound is very acceptable, even if it reminds me of the quality of the Charles Ives solo piano recordings (which may have also been recorded on wire).  

This! Listening to disc 6 for the first time right now and surprised that the 1948 session hasn’t been talked about more.  I should go back and listen again to “Intuition”’and “Digression” (both from 1949) by way of comparison. Certainly a notable addition to the early Tristano discography.

• 1 month later...

Gave Disc 1 a spin today. SQ issues be damned, there is some really fine music on these very earliest trio recordings with Billy Bauer. You sort of have to sonically fill in (imagine) what can’t quite be heard, but there’s plenty enough ‘signal’ to do so, imho.

And I’m not otherwise used to hearing lots of historic recordings from this era or earlier (those of you who know my biases for jazz from the 60’s and later, and not much before the mid-50’s). But there is so much going on in the interplay of Tristano and Bauer, at least on some cuts.

Anyone else revisiting this set again, and any further thoughts?

On 3.8.2021 at 3:33 PM, JSngry said:

Tristano  + Black & White would both be solid gets for me

Tristano might be qualified, depending on contents/associated players/etc. But unless it's all solo or trio or like that, yes, a very solid get for me.

First I heard Tristano on the "Bands for Bonds" from 1947 and was very impressed. As for trio, I liked the 1946/47 thing with Billy Bauer, but some of his later studio recordings have a quite metronomic beat and I don´t like at all the things that were overdubbed.....

On 2022/3/18 at 9:33 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Gave Disc 1 a spin today. SQ issues be damned, there is some really fine music on these very earliest trio recordings with Billy Bauer. You sort of have to sonically fill in (imagine) what can’t quite be heard, but there’s plenty enough ‘signal’ to do so, imho.

And I’m not otherwise used to hearing lots of historic recordings from this era or earlier (those of you who know my biases for jazz from the 60’s and later, and not much before the mid-50’s). But there is so much going on in the interplay of Tristano and Bauer, at least on some cuts.

Anyone else revisiting this set again, and any further thoughts?

I agree with you.  Also I am kinda surprised that the audience in some jazz joint actually seems to appreciate their music.  They had really good ears!

• 1 month later...

This release would be of interest to Tristano fans and collectors: it contains 11 tracks that are on "acetate" and seem to be privately recorded (no label affiliation) in Chicago before the Keynote sides were recorded, "test sides" for the Emmett Carles Sextet in May '45 and privately recorded piano solos from June '46:

Lennie Tristano "Volume 1--1945-1946" Masters of Jazz France cd

NzEtMzI4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

1    Emmett Carls Sextet–    Tea For Two    3:22
2    Emmett Carls Sextet–    Tea For Two    2:59
3    Emmett Carls Sextet–    Blue Lou    2:55
4    Emmett Carls Sextet–    These Foolish Things    2:36
5    Emmett Carls Sextet–    These Foolish Things    2:39
6    Emmett Carls Sextet–    It's The Talk Of The Town    2:15
7    Emmett Carls Sextet–    It's The Talk Of The Town    3:20
8    Lennie Tristano–    Yesterdays    3:10
9    Lennie Tristano–    What Is This Thing Called Love?    2:53
10    Lennie Tristano–    Don't Blame Me    2:54
11    Lennie Tristano–    I Found A New Baby    2:51

Bass – Chubby Jackson (tracks: 1 to 7)
Drums – Don Lamond (tracks: 1 to 7)
Piano – Lennie Tristano
Tenor Saxophone – Emmett Carls (tracks: 1 to 7)
Trombone – Earl Swope (tracks: 1 to 7)
Trumpet – Marky Markowitz (tracks: 1 to 7)

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

This release would be of interest to Tristano fans and collectors: it contains 11 tracks that are on "acetate" and seem to be privately recorded (no label affiliation) in Chicago before the Keynote sides were recorded, "test sides" for the Emmett Carles Sextet in May '45 and privately recorded piano solos from June '46:

NzEtMzI4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Piano – Lennie Tristano

Those tracks also show up on the Tristano Proper set from 2003.  I *think* the four solo piano sides might have also popped up on one of the Tristano estate's Jazz Records releases, but don't have the CD at hand to check.  Didn't realize that Masters of Jazz had done Tristano titles... what a great series that was!  

1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

Those tracks also show up on the Tristano Proper set from 2003.  I *think* the four solo piano sides might have also popped up on one of the Tristano estate's Jazz Records releases, but don't have the CD at hand to check.  Didn't realize that Masters of Jazz had done Tristano titles... what a great series that was!  

Didn't know about the Proper set... usually not much use to collectors. There was only this one volume of Tristano on Masters of Jazz--I am sure they intended to have more but  the label folded not too long afterwards.

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

NzEtMzI4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Piano – Lennie Tristano

All of this music was lifted from this Jazz Guild lp.

Ny00NDAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I'm going to have to give Mosaic some props for my second consecutive excellent ordering experience.  My last one was the Armstrong set back in August.

I saw that the Tristano set is back in stock at Mosaic.  So around 11 PM on Tuesday, October 4th, I ordered it.  So for all intents and purposes, it was a Wednesday the 5th order.  I got acknowledgement of the order on Wednesday the 5th.  On Friday, the 7th, I got the "note added to my order" that included the shipping notice and tracking number.  I had chosen US Mail.  The projected delivery was Tuesday the 11th before 9 PM.  I checked the tracking today and to my surprise, the changed the delivery to today, the 9th, by 6 PM

I walked outside around 11 AM and voila! there it sat in my garage.

Of course this was a domestic order and I realize that unfortunately, international orders don't do so well in comparison.

Looking forward to diving into the set later this evening after the completion of the Buffalo Bills game.  Go Bills!

• 1 year later...