Any love for Lou Rawls?

Hardbopjazz

Plenty of love here too, going back to the days with Sam Cooke.

Not sure if he recorded with the Highway Q.C.s or not, but he did sing with them and they made some records...I know I have some with Johnny Taylor, but not sure about Rawls.

He can be heard here, though:

CHD414.jpg

He had really deep roots, all the way to the end. Maybe the records were, uh....slick. But if you knew what was in that voice, you could still hear it down in there. And if you didn't know, you could certainly not hear it, But if you did...

His gigs hosting the UNCF telethons were usually good for a nice tune or two.

So yeah, plenty love here.

The dude was hip to jazz. There were a bunch of tenor players I knew that passed his touring gig around to each other. One guy who I was working with at the time told me about the first time he met Lou. The band was having breakfast with Lou early in the morning. The manager says to Lou, "Lou, here's our new tenor player!'

Lou, seated in front of his breakfast extends his hand to my friend, and says "Hi welcome aboard"...and then falls asleep, with his face falling into his eggs!

Edited by sgcim

Well, I just checked, and we have 7 Lou Rawls LPs in the jazz/pop vocals section and 4 more LPs in the Now Sound section, for a total of at least 11.  (There could be others in the massive to-be-cleaned and to-be-filed sections.). The LPs span from Lou's first Capitol LP to the Philadelphia International album with "You'll Never Find."  

Oh, make that 12, because we have his Christmas album, which includes the worst-ever version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."  

I like the Capitol album in the Now Sound section where he is wearing the black leather suit.  

8 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

One of the commentators says this was taped in Dallas but broadcast on a Nashville show. Apparently 1966. Jim -- do you recognized any of the cats?

That is the set, and the patch on the jacket, of THE !!!! BEAT. I knew Gatemouth Brown was the leader of the house band but according to this:

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beat

that might be Fathead?  That article mentions the replacement of Gatemouth with someone from Nashville who brought his own horn section with him.

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

You don't have any for in the Gospel section? Or is the Space Age Bachelor Tomb where those go?

The space-age bachelor pad section is almost all instrumental, except for albums with wordless vocals.  

We don't have a gospel section.  We may have one Mahalia Jackson LP that we've never spun, probably in the to-be-cleaned or to-be-filed stacks.  That's it.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The space-age bachelor pad section is almost all instrumental, except for albums with wordless vocals.  

We don't have a gospel section.  We may have one Mahalia Jackson LP that we've never spun, probably in the to-be-cleaned or to-be-filed stacks.  That's it.

Which four Rawls LP's are in the Now Sounds section?  All Axelrod productions?

1 hour ago, felser said:

Which four Rawls LP's are in the Now Sounds section?  All Axelrod productions?

That would certainly make sense, but five of the seven albums currently filed with Jazz/Pop vocals are produced by Axelrod.  The latest of these is T-2713 Too Much, from 1967.  Maybe I need to rethink my filing strategy.

The four albums currently filed under Now Sound include two Axelrod albums:  You've Made Me So Very Happy and The Way it Was, the Way It Is. These are circa 1969-70.  Then there is an MGM album called A Man of Value, and the aforementioned PI album with "You'll Never Find," titled All Things in Time.

The MGM album came from a fantastic LP haul in the 1990s.  A guy with a bunch of 70s soul/R&B/funk and groovy jazz - basically, Dusty Groove's inventory.  He was moving across country, and all LPs were priced to sell, like a buck or two a throw.

Edited by Teasing the Korean