Marc Myers on jazz geniuses

BillF

15 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Love this somewhat ignored edition of the Ellington Band. Three CDs, handsome booklet, thorough annotations by Patrica Willard. A must for "Happy Go Lucky Local Parts 1 and 2."

91-yyldb1dL._SY450_.jpg

👍 Great set, and one of the first Ellington collections I ever picked up, believe it or not.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yeah, early jazz is where guys like Stravinsky and Milhaud went for inspiration.

I've always felt that there was a definite resemblance between the stoptime passage  in Joplin's "Stoptime Rag" (its resolution in particular) and the final phrases of Stravinsky's Octet. As we know FWIW (I think this is so ) Stravinsky's experience of ragtime was through sheet music, not recordings or live performances.

2 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I've always felt that there was a definite resemblance between the stoptime passage  in Joplin's "Stoptime Rag" (its resolution in particular) and the final phrases of Stravinsky's Octet. As we know FWIW (I think this is so ) Stravinsky's experience of ragtime was through sheet music, not recordings or live performances.

One of the advantages with Scott Joplin is that the music was written, so we have hi-fi options to experience this music.

2 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

As we know FWIW (I think this is so ) Stravinsky's experience of ragtime was through sheet music, not recordings or live performances.

Did Stravinsky keep out of clubs or cafes or wherever it was where people went to hang out and get a taste of the new? I mean, if there was sheet music, somebody could play it anywhere 

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Is that Duke the Musicraft stuff? If so, Prestige had it in a 24000 series release that was a subject of endless fascination afaic...

Not Musicraft - transcription discs. I first had these on a series of 5 Hindsight lps.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Did Stravinsky keep out of clubs or cafes or wherever it was where people went to hang out and get a taste of the new? I mean, if there was sheet music, somebody could play it anywhere 

He did have the sheet music, so the story goes, and the chances of hearing Joplin's rags in French clubs or cafes in the teens or twenties would've been slim I believe.