Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gheorghe

Sonny Stitt. Why didn´t he become as famous as Dexter?

104 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The New Apartment Lounge on 75th if it was on the South Side.

That was it. Plus he must have soloed for 15 plus minutes and it kept getting better. No paucity of ideas. And what a sound especially so up close. 

About "keep getting better," it was characteristic of Von that he would begin by soloing at length, and then toward the end of the piece, after others had soloed, return for a long "summing up" solo in which he would build upon on every motif that he had stated in his first solo. This not only would have bordered on the incredible merely as a feat of memory, but it also was, so it seemed, wholly spontaneous. 

8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

About "keep getting better," it was characteristic of Von that he would begin by soloing at length, and then toward the end of the piece, after others had soloed, return for a long "summing up" solo in which he would build upon on every motif that he had stated in his first solo. This not only would have bordered on the incredible merely as a feat of memory, but it also was, so it seemed, wholly spontaneous. 

I was MUCH less experienced as a listener 25 years ago and I don’t remember if he took a second solo on the tune. It did all seem spontaneous and I think the pianist was John Young who was also great. Another aside. I’m SO grateful for my 3 trips to Chicago in the late 90’s (work trips) when I was also able to see Gary Bartz at the Green Mill, 8 Bold Souls at Hot House - the best of the best in my memory) and 2 visits to Velvet Lounge at 2128 1/2 South Indiana Ave where I met Fred Anderson & on my second visit attended as a guest with the late *great* Ulrich and so Fred play the tenor saxophone for the first time.

20 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I was MUCH less experienced as a listener 25 years ago and I don’t remember if he took a second solo on the tune. It did all seem spontaneous and I think the pianist was John Young who was also great. Another aside. I’m SO grateful for my 3 trips to Chicago in the late 90’s (work trips) when I was also able to see Gary Bartz at the Green Mill, 8 Bold Souls at Hot House - the best of the best in my memory) and 2 visits to Velvet Lounge at 2128 1/2 South Indiana Ave where I met Fred Anderson & on my second visit attended as a guest with the late *great* Ulrich and so Fred play the tenor saxophone for the first time.

In the late 90's, I traveled to Chicago on business many times as well. Unlike you, I was pretty unlucky when it comes to live Jazz. It seemed like every time I went, The Jazz Showcase and The Green Mill had acts playing there that I'd either just seen in Boston or the band was playing Boston when I got back - and I usually already had tickets. Fred Anderson was never playing at the Velvet Lounge during any of my visits either. I never did get a chance to see him or Von Freeman live.

I did get to visit the Jazz Record Mart and Dusty Groove every visit though. :)