Brubeck's "Time Out"

When I started getting interested in jazz and buying my first Dave Brubeck records in the late 70s, there was not a lot of Fantasy stuff in print.  In fact, I think there was a two-LP compilation available, and that was it.  It had a tan cover IIRC.

Similarly, most of Brubeck's pre-Time Out Columbia albums had gone out print.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

That twofer was on Atlantic, and same here, it was all there was for a while.

Hell, most of the Columbia's were OOP, period. Carnegie Hall was always there, as was Greatest Hits...past that, you had to go to a "real" record store to try your luck. The Atlantic records were still all there, as were the Concords. But at that point,  Columbia was like, oh, we got a classic live 2LP, we got Time Out, and we got A greatest Hits. We done.

I found this one in a TG&Y discount rack and this cut took immediately and forever. The rest of the record is actually quite nice, but this one cut seems sublimer than usual, especially by this late date:

Oh, speaking of Columbia, they still owe us a Live box to go with the Studio set. I don't care how cheap it is, but somethings are just right to do because they're right to do. There's a lot there, actually.

51 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

When I started getting interested in jazz and buying my first Dave Brubeck records in the late 70s, there was not a lot of Fantasy stuff in print.  In fact, I think there was a two-LP compilation available, and that was it.  It had a tan cover IIRC.

Similarly, most of Brubeck's pre-Time Out Columbia albums had gone out print.  

I remember when the Fantasys were on coloured transparent vinyl. 

For reasons that I can't even or care to explain, I totally ignored Brubeck for a very long time.  One of the things I did early in my pandemic, work from home lock-down, was to dive into some Brubeck - including the For All Time set mentioned above.  I also grabbed a couple of 8 LPs on 4 CD sets and what I found was a world of really good shit that I was stupid for having ignored.  A pandemic lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 8:16 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I recently bought one of the live Fantasys whilst away on a seaside jaunt to Sussex. My wife was in hysterics on the drive home at the idea of me having bought a Dave Brubeck album, and was mockingly humming Blue Rondo. 

I waited two days and then put it on over supper, and quietly went back to feeding the infant. Midway through Desmond's solo on the second track, she said "What is this? It's incredible."

No lie. She just did this again.