Our beloved dog Scout

5 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I wanted to post two pics of my dog. I reduced the file size to under 100 KB, but they do not appear. How is this done?

My files are JPG. Does the site object to those?

Don't bother trying to attach them from here; it's just not worth the grief, and you'll probably be unsuccessful.  Instead, go to a free photo hosting site.  There are many of them; the last time I did it, I used Postimages (https://postimages.org).  Upload the photos to there (doesn't matter the photo size), then post the link here.

15 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I don't seem to have any trouble uploading images from my computer. I've quite a few albums that aren't on the web so I do it frequently.

I don't drop & drag them; just use the choose files option.

MG

As a moderator, you might have added capabilities. I cannot upload another photo here unless I delete one I uploaded earlier.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, bresna said:

As a moderator, you might have added capabilities. I cannot upload another photo here unless I delete one I uploaded earlier.

I've never needed to delete a prior upload. Each post has a max upload size that is so small - 100KB, and effectively its actually less, because I've had snips that say 90KB and it refuses to upload. But isn't that a per-post not per-thread limit?

28 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I've never needed to delete a prior upload. Each post has a max upload size that is so small - 100KB, and effectively its actually less, because I've had snips that say 90KB and it refuses to upload. But isn't that a per-post not per-thread limit?

I have no idea what the parameters are with the latest board software. I just go with a URL of a JPG/JPEG, that almost always works.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have no idea what the parameters are with the latest board software. I just go with a URL of a JPG/JPEG, that almost always works.

Yeah that works great for album covers but if you don't keep personal photos online harder to do for sharing pics for a thread like this.

Dan,

I use an image hosting site -- https://postimages.org/ -- to upload "family/personal" pics that I want to share on this forum.  (Formerly, I used PhotoBucket, but they started charging for the service, so I moved on.)

I don't use social media and otherwise don't post photos online, so an image hosting site comes in handy.  Plus, you don't need to worry about image size limits.

Just another option.

Edited by HutchFan

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dan,

I use an image hosting site to upload "family/personal" pics that I want to share on this forum on https://postimages.org/  (Formerly, I used PhotoBucket, but they started charging for the service, so I moved on.)

I don't use social media and otherwise don't post photos online, so an image hosting site comes in handy.  Plus, you don't need to worry about image size limits.

Just another option.

Thank you I didn't know there was a free option anymore. I will surely keep in mind.

58 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I use Facebook but they do something weird with picture URLs. They must do it to discourage people from linking to them. I have posted many pictures here from my Facebook account and a few weeks later, it disappears. The picture is still in the same place on Facebook, but Facebook somehow rotates the URL.

I haven't tried in many years, but there was a time when I went to upload a picture and I got an error saying that I had reached my max limit for uploads. I had to go delete an old post with a picture so that I could upload a new one. After a few times having to do that, I stopped trying. I'll have to see if I can do it again now.

I just tried uploading a 66 kB picture of my dog and it blocked me, saying "You are only allowed to upload 102.4kb". As I said, I stopped trying to upload pictures here a long time ago.

I got my dog pictures onto here by using MG's suggestion of using the "choose files" option. I had already reduced the file sizes to well under the 100 KB limit (with absolutely no reduction in quality that I could detect). 

I uploaded one picture, but the site squawked when I tried to upload the second one, so I put it into a second post. Then, it merged the two, making my text inaccurate. I didn't dare to try to edit the text.

To improve this would cost Jim a lot of money, so I'm not going to complain. The dog is lovely.

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, bresna said:

This past Summer I took our 10 year Golden Retreiver, Auggie, to see & hear some live music. He was smiling for me.

Auggie small.jpg

We had to put Auggie down on Friday. Liver failure brought on by liver cancer. He had a rough last couple of nights but he's not in pain any more.

6 hours ago, bresna said:

We had to put Auggie down on Friday. Liver failure brought on by liver cancer. He had a rough last couple of nights but he's not in pain any more.

Sorry to hear of your loss.  Our Golden died of cancer when she was 10.  It seems endemic to the breed.  But they're always happy.