Sinatra’s reel to reel deck

Hardbopjazz

On 8/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, sonnymax said:

Damn he had one heck of a system. 

12 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Is that really a bowl full of packs of cigarettes on the table?  Maybe it was Halloween and Ol' Blue Eyes was waiting for the trick-or-treaters to start showing up.

I didn’t notice.  Those are pack of cigarettes.  

19 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Damn he had one heck of a system.  

His entire Palm Springs digs were pretty impressive.  

https://www.naturalretreats.com/palm-springs-luxury-vacation-rentals/accommodation/frank-sinatra-twin-palms-estate

You can rent it out if you like.  It's only $2,500 a night.  

5 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Yep, and the Buddah

Absolutely, and the Buddha statues eliminate bad resonances and vibrations, both aurally and spiritually.

Eh, I don't know. You read enough about this guy and he really comes across as a dirtbag. Of course, in Thailand the Buddhist monks will tell you that if your statue doesn't come on loan from the monastery then it's bad mojo all around, esp if it's just the head.   

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Eh, I don't know. You read enough about this guy and he really comes across as a dirtbag. Of course, in Thailand the Buddhist monks will tell you that if your statue doesn't come on loan from the monastery then it's bad mojo all around, esp if it's just the head.   

I think the guy was a mixed bag.

14 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I think the guy was a mixed bag.

My favorite Sinatra story, by way of comedian Shecky Greene:

"Frank Sinatra, wonderful man, saved my life. Three guys were beating the crap out of me in the parking lot of the Sands Hotel, and Frank said, 'That's enough.'

8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

My favorite Sinatra story, by way of comedian Shecky Greene:

"Frank Sinatra, wonderful man, saved my life. Three guys were beating the crap out of me in the parking lot of the Sands Hotel, and Frank said, 'That's enough.'

AFIK Sinatra spent his influence promoting equal rights for afro american artists in show business, being The Voice, had some success too, in Las Vegas for sure.

3-4 years ago I somehow stumbled on an episode of Magnum P.I. on one of the nostalgia channels on our cable box (Antenna maybe) — and who’s the special guest star but Old Blue Eyes. So I hit record on the DVR to skim thru it later and catch a little Frank on the little screen (in what I later discovered was maybe his very last acting appearance). And if memory serves, it was a two-part episode, so I DVR’d the next night too.

Anyway, not that it was anything great, but I seem to remember it being good enough that I actually watched both episodes in full (had only planned to sample 10 minutes total) — and all in all, it was “a lot less insubstantial” than I was expecting (to damn it with faint praise).

I remember Frank getting/being angry a bunch in it, and convincingly so.

everyone sells them for well over $100 most well over that and three quarters of them are untested, even out in the sticks they think theyre sitting on Sinatra's exact machine.   Its still a luxury item almost.  i dont need the best but i dont want a prehistoric sony.  I have these 7 1/2 ips tapes i woud like to experience.  

COLEMAN HAWKINS'S CROWN RELEASE (w. thad jones et al)

JIMI- ARE YOU EXP

JANIS & BIG BRO/CHEAP THRILLS

SPIRIT- SPIRIT

were commerical reel to reels always a stereo only format or did they make mono ones too

12 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

were commerical reel to reels always a stereo only format or did they make mono ones too

In the US, there were some early releases that were mono, but stereo was the norm.  In fact, reel-to-reel was the only way to hear music in stereo for a few years, so the tapes were geared toward the stereo market.