Previously unreleased Sheila Jordan. 1960 (!!)

Mark Stryker

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Really interested in hearing this. 

Sloan and Kenslow bought Tom's collection and store stock (Jazz Record Revival) earlier in the year, so I'd assume that's when it was unearthed. I can understand wanting to move quickly while Jordan is still alive, but it would be nice to know who else is on the date. 

What other acetates might be in there?

6 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Thanks for finding the clips!

A first listen does not rule out the possibility that it is Nichols. There is no smoking gun one way or the other.

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

This Chatam label, that's what's piquing my curiosity above all else.

This looks like a kind of nexus that Jordan could have been in in 1960...only there's not record of the label being around then, so...what's the deal there?

I searched a little bit yesterday... found almost nothing about the label... but Nancy Steele and Sheila Jordan did work together a bit later on (they were "heading the show at the Robber's Roost, 68th St and Madison Ave" for about two weeks in May 1963)

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'd suggest talking to Steve Swallow...he almost dunked the spill on the origins of The Real Book, and it "seems" like he might have at least been around the parties at the time?

Yes, he should have been given this to listen to since it could be him.

Edited by bertrand

35 minutes is cool, totally standard LP length, maybe even longer.

Temptation is stronger now...

Our dog is named Fiona also. She's a rescue dog of many possible origins, and has just (as of yesterday) developed this weird maternal attachment to her new chew toy. Brenda bought it at Costco, some Peanut Butter Flavored stuffed beef bone, god only know what it really is. But she's clinging to it like a puppy, square business. Country of origin is Brazil, who knows what's really in it.

The Sheila sounds like a very real possibility with that playing time. I was worried that as a demo it might be, like 15-20 minutes or something in htat neighborhood.

But this raises the question - if it's LP length, was it really a demo? Just because it was found as an acetate doesn't mean that it was a demo. This mysterious label...I bet there's more to the story!

I edited the post because the disc ended and i had to get up and change discs. It's 35 minutes. . . which could put it in as a long demo, most likely it was the result of one studio session, seems that way.

My Fiona, who was rescued from a puppy mill, has a beanie baby dachshund that she cherishes. In the evening she brings it up to the couch and cleans it and snuggles it and sometimes falls asleep with it in her mouth. She has had it over three years and it looks pristine. . . but so much slobber has been applied and dried it can't be. I guess it's her maternal instinct's object of affection.

35 minutes, yeah, could be a long demo or a typical LP of the time also...17 minutes a side, not a typical at all....how many songs are there?

I think i should just order the damn thing and see myself! Sounds tasty, so nothing to lose!

What I do like about our Fiona is that she will go after the squirrels trying to eat out of the bird feeder. Damn squirrels...I have eaten their ancestors, but they don't respect that. They don't respect anything.

There are 11 songs and they're good ones. Her voice is brighter than it was even 3 years later, a shade brighter and her phrasing and interpretations are nearly there. It's an interesting release, the unknown trio does a nice suportive job. 

Out here in my little home across from the state wildlife preserve there are many squirrels, the black squirrels came into the area about 3 years ago and account for about one third f them in the immediate acres. The real ones with no respect out here are the coyotes. Just a few seen but they have taken their toll on the pet population. Fiona doesn't bother with the squirrels. There are so many, she saves her strength like a good old broad does.

1. I’m the Girl
  2. It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing
  3. Ballad of the Sad Young Men
  4. Comes Love
  5. Don’t Explain
  6. Sleeping Bee
  7. When the World Was Young
  8. I’ll Take Romance
  9. These Foolish Things
  10. Glad to Be Unhappy
  11. They Can’t Take That Away From Me

Edited by jazzbo

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

There are 11 songs and they're good ones. Her voice is brighter than it was even 3 years later, a shade brighter and her phrasing and interpretations are nearly there. It's an interesting release, the unknown trio does a nice suportive job. 

1. I’m the Girl
  2. It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing
  3. Ballad of the Sad Young Men
  4. Comes Love
  5. Don’t Explain
  6. Sleeping Bee
  7. When the World Was Young
  8. I’ll Take Romance
  9. These Foolish Things
  10. Glad to Be Unhappy
  11. They Can’t Take That Away From Me

Yeah, that's a good set. I'm in.

I'm not the biggest Jordan fan ever, but...props aplenty, all deserved.

I do hope the research into the origins of this session continues. I don't know that Capri really has a handle on how interesting this could get...

On 8/11/2021 at 8:53 AM, JSngry said:

Ah, that's interesting! Add Barry Gailbriath to Nancy Steele...keep finding overlapping connections, sooner or later a picture will form. A fuzzy one, maybe, but...

That Nancy Steele is pure corn, corn vibrato, corn arrangements, corn rhythmic approach. Even Galbraith couldn't save that LP. BG did a lot of commercial dates, too. This is one of them.No relation to Russell's crew.

There's another Nancy Steele album, but she's a brunette singing 'sophisticated songs' presumably written by her. The 'sophisticated' aspect is in reference to the 'risque' lyrics, but musically just a bunch of rubato non-songs with only triadic piano accompaniment. Painful stuff.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, jazzbo said:

The label is shipping this now, not in September.

Ok, the label, directly, correct?

The usual suspects are still showing a future release date.

https://www.caprirecords.com/html_index.cfm?page=item_page&itemoid=110733&itemname=%20Sheila%20Jordan%20Comes%20Love%20-%20Lost%20Session%201960

Currently $5 less than the Azamaton pre-order price!

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Yes I ordered directly from that page. Another 5 dollars for postage, and I had it within a week.

Ronnie Ball is a good guess as pianist. . . it doesn't sound like Nichols to me, at least not first listen.

I will get this, but definitely keep us posted on your guesses!