unreleased Transition acetate

romualdo

I presume most followers of the Transition label (Boston based mid 50s run by Tom Wilson) know of the existence of sides III & IV of a (likely) double LP acetate set - the second volume has been found (not the first AFAIK). It contains outtakes (unreleased as of now) from Sun Ra's Transition recordings, A Dave Coleman track plus two versions of Bags' Groove (longer one with flubbed ending then a short one which is actually a redo of the ending) by the Joe Gordon/Roy Haynes Quintet (sounds like a quintet but no idea of who is on ts/p/dm). Some prominent tenor throughout the two tracks - love to know who it is. A fellow board member & friend has sent me the two tracks on a CDr - currently listening. These tracks were originally put up on YouTube but i havn't been able to find them - possibly removed?

https://musicpriceguide.com/12572/SUN-RA-outtakes-1957-ACETATE-LP-UNRELEASED-TRANSITION-unknown-recordings-HEAR.html

Transition acetate.jpeg

Unreleased Transition label music sometimes surfaces. I am looking for Transition TRLP-18 (Jay Migliori- title "Jazz Down Beat") which was close enough to release that it was included in the Lord Discography and one song (Something's Gotta Give") is on TRLP-30 Transition Sampler. That booklet has a complete listing for TRLP-18. Hopefully the tape or acetate is floating around some where and will eventually surface. Fresh Sound Records has released several rare Transition LPs as CDs and would probably be interested in TRLP-18.

Edited by Stonewall15
additional information

• 1 month later...

The tenor player on the Sun Ra tracks is John Gilmore. This July 12, 1956 session is listed in the Gilmore solography I co-wrote with Jan Evensmo (available at jazzarcheology.com).

Delilah, which was unissued at the time of the eBay auction, was included on “Kosmos In Blue” (John Gilmore Anthology Vol. 1).

Edited by James Accardi
added additional information

9 hours ago, James Accardi said:

The tenor player on the Sun Ra tracks is John Gilmore. This July 12, 1956 session is listed in the Gilmore solography I co-wrote with Jan Evensmo (available at jazzarcheology.com).

Delilah, which was unissued at the time of the eBay auction, was included on “Kosmos In Blue” (John Gilmore Anthology Vol. 1).

Thanks James, BTW anything new on Wardell G?

I was at Delmark at the time of their Sun Ra purchase. Bob had earlier bought a Donald Byrd master and I found the list of available masters and encouraged Bob to buy the Ras. I have a memory of an acetate of Joe Gordon - probably not the disc mentioned 'cause I'm pretty sure I would have remembered the Ra titles. Red and white label like the one pictured. It might still be at Delmark. Another possibility is my memory if faulty and that is the disc from Delmark - Wolfgang's Vault bought the contents of the Jazz Record Mart a few years ago and the acetate could have been there.

Edited by Chuck Nessa