John Coltrane - Love Supreme: Live in Seattle

Pim

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this really was a new live Coltrane Love Supreme, you would think that there would be more buzz about it.   

Maybe they are calling the 30-minute "Untitled Original" that has been circulating from the Penthouse broadcast "A Love Supreme."   That would be a huge stretch. :)

47 minutes ago, felser said:

Listed as being on Impulse, and being a 2LP set (no CD?).  Color me skeptical, as no place else mentions it, even the Impulse web site.

Nah cd as well. I don’t see Dusty Groove as a shop that lists a recording that does not exist.

This seems to be the recording Ravi was talking about. I think, especially without the A in the title, that this is probably just a name, albeit a misleading one. Impulse has released all this archival stuff on CD and LP so I would assume that would be the case here. Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

That nonsense has been floating around for years. How do you prove such a claim? The Antibes is just the only documented one (so far).

If this release is a live version of Love Supreme at the Penthouse, then Zev Feldman is involved in some way and there will be a press release forthcoming. If he knew it was announced by The Bastards before his press release, that would ruin his day.

In fact, there are fairly long tapes of "Resolution" made at Pep's in Philadelphia in October, 1964 a few months before the studio recording was made.  

Edited by John L

22 minutes ago, John L said:

In fact, there are fairly long tapes of "Resolution" made at Pep's in Philadelphia in October, 1964 a few months before the studio recording was made.  

Yeah, and in a different key, iirc. What I remember of them is quite stimulating.

3 hours ago, John L said:

Maybe they are calling the 30-minute "Untitled Original" that has been circulating from the Penthouse broadcast "A Love Supreme."   That would be a huge stretch. :)

There is this, but to get a valid 2LP set our of it is going to require a boost. I've pre-ordered the CD from DG, just because, boots don't last past legit time. And if this impulse! is something else altogether, iHEY!

51dub94EkyL.jpg

81gkqv0gy5L._SL1252_.jpg

14 minutes ago, John L said:

...and if it includes material already released as "Live in Seattle" on Impulse!, that is also not an entirely bad thing given that the existing CD remaster leaves a lot to be desired and sounds much worse than the LP.   

My sentiments exactly. In 2011, the Japanese market released a new transfer of the Live In Seattle material that is supposed to have superior sound. I missed out on that 2-disc set, and nowadays it's extremely hard to find.

seattle.jpg

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, but...if they use part of the old record to flesh out the new, that still leaves the rest of the old record unimproved...is that how desperate they think we are, I hope not?

If they put all of the already released "Live in Seattle" on 2 CDs, that would leave them with less than 20 minutes for any new music.   It is all very mysterious. 

Edited by John L

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, and in a different key, iirc. What I remember of them is quite stimulating.

There is this, but to get a valid 2LP set our of it is going to require a boost. I've pre-ordered the CD from DG, just because, boots don't last past legit time. And if this impulse! is something else altogether, iHEY!

51dub94EkyL.jpg

81gkqv0gy5L._SL1252_.jpg

Ok, if this is all there is going to be...they could split Untitled Original into two LP sides. That gives you a double LP.

But...really hoping that this is going to be something that nobody is seeing coming.

Hoping...

19 hours ago, Pim said:

Oh boy what’s this?

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/992329?cat=jazz&incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date

completely new record or was this released as a bootleg before?

Has been circulating as a bootleg for 15-20 years.

if you have Live in Seattle you know what to expect in terms of the music.  Coltrane is great but I have mixed feelings about the rest of the ensemble

5 hours ago, Late said:

In 2011, the Japanese market released a new transfer of the Live In Seattle material that is supposed to have superior sound.

seattle.jpg

Here is the one review on Amazon of this 2-disc set:

Right off, for anyone considering whether or not to purchase this disc, consider how much sound means to you. As far as the music goes, I've posted an extensive review of this here:  Live in Seattle , which is tied to the 1994 and 2012 American editions. What I wanted to post here, though, is why, if you want to get this album, you should get this version. The reason is two-fold, but equally important. The first has to do with the music: the 2012 American edition, which has good sound, has returned the album to its "original running order". In some of the studio albums, especially those from Coltrane's lifetime, this has a certain appeal (though all of Coltrane's songs are worth owning). But in the case of this album, the extreme length of "Body and Soul" and "Afro Blue" forced Impulse to leave the songs off in the 71 double album edition. Why would anyone not want these tracks, ESPECIALLY "Body and Soul", which may be Coltrane's finest version of the jazz warhorse? It simply doesn't make sense that people have been waiting around to get the original edition again - and thankfully Universal Japan seems to get this. Here the Coltrane listener gets it all. Of course, the 1994 edition is easy enough to get, and that would get a person all the tracks at half the price. Why get this one?

The answer is simple: the SOUND. Whether the SHM format really makes that much more difference than MLPS, gold MFSL discs, blue specs, SACDs, or any other physically different format is beyond me. I've heard them all and own a few of each and really, they all sound good. What I can say about the sound engineers in Japan is that they haven't lost their hearing - this record is mixed WONDERFULLY. The bass, finally, is fully forward and the distinction between the horns at the beginning of "Evolution" is jaw-dropping. Really, the SHM series from late 2011 is the first opportunity to hear many of these great, late period Coltrane's in premier sound for the first time since the initial releases, and these, really, sound BETTER than the original vinyl. The expense, of course, means that the Coltrane listener will likely have to choose a few favorites, but I'd urge this to be one of them - great sound, the full program, everything a Coltrane collector could ask for. Except for one obvious thing: why can't Verve make an issue this good at a more affordable price for Americans?

27 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Coltrane is great but I have mixed feelings about the rest of the ensemble ...

As long as Pharaoh keeps the piccolo away from his mouth, I'm in. I don't even mind Donald Garrett's bass clarinet.

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Coltrane is great but I have mixed feelings about the rest of the ensemble

Agreed.   Tyner sounds like he has already checked out on that record (Alice was a much better fit by then) and Sanders' work with Coltrane (except for 'Meditations') has always been totally lost on me.  And I fast forward through any bass or drums solos.  Never have really "gotten" Ali, but Elvin Jones also was not right anymore for where Trane was heading.  Can't imagine that Tyner or Jones particularly cared for what Sanders was doing there, given what their own records of the next few years were like.  But Coltrane himself is brilliant and challenging during that time.  

"Om" has always struck me as a bad acid trip which should have stayed in the can.

Edited by felser