John Coltrane - Love Supreme: Live in Seattle

Pim

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The music is inteeeeeeense!!!! Only the bass interludes bring some release.

The disc gives you a really good glimpse of what experiencing this group live must have been at the time. And Elvin Jones is a f*****g monster. Only "minus" is that Coltrane's sax is quite low in the mix.

"Four stars plus" for me.

Edited by EKE BBB

Yeah, Amazon is showing Shipped + arrived at a carrier facility. But not "out for delivery", and that's the best indicator imo. I recently had an order where they said an item had shipped and was at Location X, and then all tracking went dead. Amazon sent me a not that this item might be lost, come get your refund! So I did, and  ordered another of the same thing from another Amazon seller, and then both it and the allegedly lost item got here on the same day, thus necessitating a return via a trip to Whole Foods (the specified that it had to be Whole Foods!).

So until one or both of them get here, I'm still keeping the scoreboard open. Amazon is still the favorite, but sometimes the underdog has a late innings rally.

4 minutes ago, Pim said:

EBF8-F5-D5-DF88-4054-A90-C-B419-E83-AA63

Coltrane is indeed a little far out in the mix. But the music is…. sensational. Wow….. just wow…

Yes, listening to that Australian broadcast, sensational was the word. Might even prefer it to the original !

How is the vinyl? Optimal pressing, presumably ?

Edited by sidewinder

40 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, listening to that Australian broadcast, sensational was the word. Might even prefer it to the original !

How is the vinyl? Optimal pressing, presumably ?

It’s good but also a little hard to say as I think the original tapes weren’t exactly best in sound.  But it is that sound that really makes you feel like you’re attending a live Coltrane gig.

I can’t believe they still put these expansive releases in paper inner sleeves…. Part from that: great packaging. 

9 minutes ago, Pim said:

It’s good but also a little hard to say as I think the original tapes weren’t exactly best in sound.  But it is that sound that really makes you feel like you’re attending a live Coltrane gig.

I can’t believe they still put these expansive releases in paper inner sleeves…. Part from that: great packaging. 

Thanks !  Will be happy with the CD.

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, Pim said:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with paper inner sleeves? Is there an alternative.  (This really is just being curious-- I don't have a turntable. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with paper inner sleeves? Is there an alternative.  (This really is just being curious-- I don't have a turntable. 

It leaves small pieces of paper on the vinyl which causes pops and could damage the record but worse: taking it out en putting it back in makes tiny scratches on the surface. A lot of my Blue Note 75th anniversary releases have those scratches. 

Best alternative are rice paper anti static sleeves. Nothing fancy or expensive so I really don’t understand they still put them in paper sleeves. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, my Amazon is at a carrier facility in McKinney, which is just up the road apiece, about a 20 minute drive so it ought to be getting here today, as scheduled.

Still, it ain't over until the tenor player starts to sing...

Ok, it's a wrap. Amazon FTW!