Universal Japan Fall 2021 Reissue Series

Late

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

There was a Japanese CD reissue in 2013.

I was not able to grab that one in time, and it is prohibitively expensive now :angry:.

11 hours ago, Late said:

The Mainieri is new to me ...

UCCU8277.jpg

Insight

Me too.  The samples sounded interesting enough, and I love that era, so I went ahead and ordered it.  Not like Japanese reissues of obscure jazz titles lose their value or anything...

16 hours ago, Late said:

Nice to see some Adderley Capitol titles reissued again. The Live! date with Charles Lloyd is very good; this will be only the second time it's been out on compact disc (as far as I know). The previous Japanese reissue was around for about 11 minutes.

R-2471055-1552617518-2115.jpeg.jpg

First time for this Hamilton album on compact disc? I've never heard it.

R-6452601-1419608894-4603.jpeg.jpg

The Hamilton's are interesting.  Very non-commercial use of "commercial elements".  They don't sound like anything else.  But certainly an acquired taste (I was horrified by them when I got cutouts back in the 70's).  Check out samples and see what you think.  I went ahead and ordered them, they sound intriguing to my ears now, 45 years later .  Ordered 19 CD's total, including four of the Cannonball titles, the Maneiri, these two, and other various BN's for various reasons (in the case of Turrentine and Reece, allows me to complete the single CD's and sell the Mosaics.  Quick $220 spent there, but not like these opportunities come along very often.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mainieri is...interesting. A snapshot of a time, place, and portion of the scene. Not really my thing musically, but as a document, if you want it, get it. Mainieri was an interesting guy, actually, and always had his own path, which was largely of his own doing.

7 hours ago, RiRiIII said:

cdjapan listing.

Nice! Thanks for that.

13 hours ago, Late said:

The Mainieri can be heard in full by clicking on that link (directly above). Better than I would have expected. I think a pre-order might be in store for that one. Also will order some DeFranco's with Sonny Clark that I don't have. Plus the Marmarosa which I only have on CDR.

I wonder if 200 titles (which is a lot) will be the total amount, or if this series will continue. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 100 more were added later.

Just noticed that when you click on a certain title on CD Japan, the description gives you the year of the remaster. 

Well, speaking broadly of all the Verves, certainly these with Clark are excellent:

Jazz Tones 

In A Mellow Tone

Odalisque

Autumn Leaves

Cooking The Blues

Sweet and Lovely

I have the Mosaic set in each format (have tried to sell the LP but I guess I'm fated to keep it) and this is great music, and the individual Japanese cds I have heard sound equally good if a bit different than the Mosaic mastering.

I do like the others, each has its charm, but I would say those above may have just a shade more interest as Clark plays very very well on them.

Edited by jazzbo

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Are any of the Buddy DeFrancos especially good?

If I had to choose just three, these would be my picks:

1. Autumn Leaves (alternately titled "The Artistry of Buddy DeFranco") • Sonny Clark is really good on this one; DeFranco gives him a fair amount of space.
2. In A Mellow Tone • A tasty version of "A Foggy Day" on this one; simple and swinging.
3. Jazz Tones • You can sample the whole album on YouTube.

Clark plays organ for some tracks on Cooking The Blues and Sweet And Lovely, so if organ isn't your thing, sample first. I've never heard Odalisque. There are some other DeFranco albums from this period that have Kenny Drew on them. Sometimes, I admit, I forget who's on what album (Clark/Drew).

1 hour ago, Late said:

I've never heard Odalisque. There are some other DeFranco albums from this period that have Kenny Drew on them. Sometimes, I admit, I forget who's on what album (Clark/Drew).

Odalisque was originally called The Progressive Mr DeFranco when it was first released on the Norgran label then it was subsequently rereleased (on the same label) as the former title then released again under the Verve banner as Odalisque

I bought the Japanese CD reissues mentioned above a few years back but still have the Mosaic LP set - keeping it for the previously unreleased version of Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea

Edited by romualdo

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

That's also one that never made it to CD ... or?

As far as I know, it's on CD only as part of the Mosaic.

Discussion of DeFranco (on this thread) had me get out my what I have by him on compact disc. It turns out that I have far less than I thought — that is, if I don't count CDRs (vinyl rips, downloads etc.). One disc that I really like is Gone With The Wind, which is a collection of four sessions, all from 1952, on one compact disc, reissued in 1998 through the Japanese market. It has Kenny Drew throughout, and adds Jimmy Raney on quite a few tracks. Bassists are either Curly Russell or Teddy Kotick; drummers are Art Taylor or Art Blakey. The sessions were originally out on MGM. This is the disc in question:

R-14928208-1584233264-3960.jpeg.jpg

Superlative bebop-inflected playing by DeFranco here. Highly recommended.

15 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

YouTube's algorithm has been pushing this one on me heavily for a few months now. I haven't jumped yet.

Have you listened to the album on YouTube? It's better than I thought it was going to be. I've bookmarked the upcoming CD reissue on CD Japan ...

Regarding the Buddy DeFranco "Odalisque" date-I understand that only the 4 tunes on the B side of the LP are with Sonny Clark.  These were recorded during the "Jazz Tones" session.  The A side of the Odalisque LP is a Big Band.  Those 4 tunes were included in a Fresh Sounds 2 cd set that compiled the Buddy DeFranco with Sonny Clark quartet cuts.  Therefore, this Fresh Sound set did not include 4 quintet tunes from "Sweet and Lovely" and all of Cooking the Books. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These are coming soon. Will titles like Third Season and the Herbie Nichols have the bonus tracks?

Also, no one noticed my comment about Young Men From Memphis? The take of Things Ain't... from the mono version of the L.P. is different from the stereo. I asked Michael Cuscuna about this yesterday. He said it is possible the mono reel survives, but it would be in Iron Mountain in West Hollywood. What source will this Japanese version be using?

21 minutes ago, bertrand said:

These are coming soon. Will titles like Third Season and the Herbie Nichols have the bonus tracks?

Don’t know about the Herbie Nichols, but Third Season looks like it does/will…

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/992282

I’ve got the 2012 CD issue of this, btw, which also has this bonus track.

A Slice of the Top and Third Season are my two favorite Hank leader-dates, so I bit on getting the bonus track.  Here’s the details of the 2012 CD issue I have…

https://www.discogs.com/release/8646582-Hank-Mobley-Third-Season

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 weeks later...