This or That?

HutchFan

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's only ever been one cut on YouTube, but it's pretty reprsentaive of the arrangements, if not songs.

As the saying goes, it's not going to be for everybody. But I have no shame. Standards, yes.. Shame, no! :g

I see what you mean. Almost wish I didn't, but I do.

Dickie Wells or J.C. Higginbotham

Maybe tops on the insoluble list: Johnny Hodges or Benny Carter

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but there's plenty great Ray Brown records where Peterson is nowhere in sight.

On any given "artistic" day, sure, Pettiford. But on any given go to the shelves day, I'll never turn down Ray Brown.

Now, as bandleader, Pettiford. But you didn't specify grounds for consideration. and I'm not good at thinking that deep, not where an opportunity to avoid Oscar Peterson is an issue.

So. for whoever wants it, Ferguson Maiden or Kenton Maiden?

Let me refine the question -

pre-Cameo/Mainstream Ferguson Maiden or Kenton Maiden?

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

I've always enjoyed Carter, and I recognize his importance in the scheme of things.  But I have to admit this one's easy for me.  It's a win for Hodges

I love the way that Hodges shapes every note, every phrase, so beautifully and effortlessly.  He makes a SUBLIME sound. 

I feel like it's almost unfair to compare others to that! 

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So. for whoever wants it, Ferguson Maiden or Kenton Maiden?

Let me refine the question -

pre-Cameo/Mainstream Ferguson Maiden or Kenton Maiden?

Don't know enough of the music to make a meaningful reply.  I'm familiar with the Kenton Maiden but not the Ferguson Maiden. 

Time to bone up on it, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Bill Coleman or Buck Clayton

Buck Clayton.  

Buddy Tate or Don Byas?

17 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Don't know enough of the music to make a meaningful reply.  I'm familiar with the Kenton Maiden but not the Ferguson Maiden. 

There's a bit of an evolution...I think that Kenton Maiden sort of began with Maynard, but later on, after the Mercury Roulette period. that's why I refined the question.

From this (which I like, but more to the point would be something like "Jazzberries" for which I can find no clip).):

But then, and not all at once, really, but eventually, this:

and then, of course, to this:

The guy never stopped evolving, really. Never "changed", just evolved.

Edited to remove a Don Sebesky chart...getting old, sorry.

I LOVE that version of Bill Watrous doing "Aquarius!"  That's the kind of music Ms. TTK and I like to listen to when we are cooking dinner and drinking wine on a Saturday or Sunday.  I love the cover art, too.  It looks like an ad that would be in Playboy circa 1970.  

Mr. Watrous is accompanied by the Walter Raim Concept.  I have two albums by him, and they are also on the MTA label:

• Endless Possiblities
  • Brave New Concepts Century 21 Orchestra.  

The first of these consists of mostly originals, but also a couple of Bacharach covers.  The second seems to be groovy versions of classics.  I need to spin both of these.  

Does anyone know anything about Walter Raim?  He is sporting a Montenegro-like goatee on the album covers.   And aspiring to be Hugo Montenegro is a very worthy calling.  

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Don't love Abercrombie, but for me Frisell is a black hole.

Al Cohn or Zoot Sims

Phil Woods or Gene Quill

Junior Cook or Jimmy Heath

Tommy Dorsey or Jack Jenny (as trombonists)

Lucky Thompson or Wardell Grey

Abercrombie and Frisell -neither do anything for me.

Al Cohn or Zoot Sims - impossible to pick one over the other - both are strong favorites

Phil Woods

Junior Cook strictly as a tenor player .

Wardell Grey  

Jimmy Raney or Tal Farlow

Edited by Peter Friedman

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Zawinul, hands down. Feldman played the gig really well, but Zawinul made an impact, changed the music. The piano chair, hell that band, was never he same after.

Frank Rosolino at his most excessive, or Jimmy Cleveland at his most excessive?

(and no, Bill Watrous is not an option! :g )

Rosolino's my top bone man (along with J J.)

18 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I see what you mean. Almost wish I didn't, but I do.

Dickie Wells or J.C. Higginbotham

Hodges

16 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Bill Coleman or Buck Clayton

Rex Stewart or Harry Edison

Buck Clayton

Harry Edison

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I've always enjoyed Carter, and I recognize his importance in the scheme of things.  But I have to admit this one's easy for me.  It's a win for Hodges

I love the way that Hodges shapes every note, every phrase, so beautifully and effortlessly.  He makes a SUBLIME sound. 

I feel like it's almost unfair to compare others to that! 

Buck Clayton.  

Buddy Tate or Don Byas?

Buddy Tate

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Does anyone know anything about Walter Raim? 

I tried to find out about the guy, and had limited success. apparently he was a classical guitarist who broke into the industry through the Harry Belafonte orb.

We can learn/glom that much here: https://www.discogs.com/artist/354415-Walter-Raim

Two guitar records on Mercury in the mid-60s, I think I've heard one of them? And it did not catch my ear in the way the Concept did. But, not without interest.

But as far as history, there's a nice little line note quote on this blog that mentions a networking with Bobby Scott, so...that's always going to provide the possibility of interest: And oh, look, it's you man Don Elliot, he's on there too!

http://artworkbymanicmark.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-electrifying-guitar-of-walter-raim.html

The Electrifying Guitar Of Walter Raim
Mercury Records MG 21021

Splendid! Raim creatively blends mood, space age pop and jazz. His inventive arrangements are guaranteed to keep you engaged. Superior stuff!

From the back cover: Walter, at 29 years old, is one of the most formidably accomplished guitarists around. He was born in Bronx, New York and attended high school and City College there, obtaining a Master's Degree in instrumental music from Columbia University. Walter started his music career as leader of his own quartet, working the club areas of New York and Los Angeles

Walter is known widely for his significant, influential work in the folk music field as performer, annotator, arranger and musical director. He served as assistant conductor and first accompanist for the Belafonte Singers for two years. Walter's ever-widening musical horizons have increasingly led him into broader areas of musical expression. He plays electric and classical guitar, celeste, and piano as well. He met Bobby Scott, pianist and Mercury A & R director, when he was working on an album for Bobby Darin on which Bobby Scott played piano. That meeting led to a rewarding friendship between the two inventive musicians.

Walter's talents are not limited to the musical field as he is also an expert skier and tennis player. He has traveled extensively throughout Europe, the islands and Canada.

Session musicians include: Russ Sakakus - bass, Alvin Rogers - drums, Hank Jones - piano, Don Elliot - vibes and percussion, Phil Kraus - vibes and percussion and Bobby Scott - piano.

And I Love Her
La Ronde
The Teacher
Toys In The Attic
Love Is For The Very Young
Durango
There's Music
I Will Wait For You
Theme From The Amourous Adventures Of Moll Flanders
Breakfast At Tiffany's
A Love Like This
Amen

raim2.jpg

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Don't love Abercrombie, but for me Frisell is a black hole.

Al Cohn or Zoot Sims

Phil Woods or Gene Quill

Junior Cook or Jimmy Heath

Tommy Dorsey or Jack Jenny (as trombonists)

Lucky Thompson or Wardell Grey

Al Cohn

Phil Woods

Jimmy Heath

Tommy Dorsey

Wardell Gray

Renee Rosnes or Jeb Patton?

Edited by BillF