Miles Complete Live At The Cellar Door

Gary

Some one has a promo for sale on Ebay Uk here's the desciption & link -

The tracks recorded at the Cellar Door club in Washington D.C. by the Miles Davis band between 16 & 19 December 1970 have never been released in full.

Excerpts of the 19 December concert featuring John McLaughlin as guest player were released on Live/Evil but what we have for auction here is a set of reference CDs of the much-anticipated 6-CD boxed set Live At Cellar Door (Columbia/Legacy) which was supposed to have been released in 2002 yet still hasn’t seen the light of day.

These are official Columbia/Legacy reference CDs as prepared for Seth Rothstein, senior director of Columbia/Legacy Jazz.

They come in blank jewel cases with no artwork apart from a label on each CD which states “Miles Davis at the Cellar Door Disc 1 of 6. This is a work CD-R. Master tapes were not available when this CD-R was made. It was recorded from available disc sources. Reference copy. columbia/legacy © 2002.”

The CDs themselves are in mint condition.

Disc 1

Directions Dec 16

Yesternow Dec 16

What I Say Dec 16

Sanctuary Dec 16

Funky Tonk Dec 16

Sanctuary Dec 16

Disc 2

What I Say Dec 17

Honky Tonk Dec 17

Sanctuary Dec 17

It's About That Time Dec 17

Funky Tonk Dec 17

Sanctuary Dec 17

Disc 3

Directions Dec 18

Honky Tonk Dec 18

What I Say Dec 18

Sanctuary Dec 18

Disc 4

Directions Dec 18

Honky Tonk Dec 18

What I Say Dec 18

Sanctuary Dec 18

Funky Tonk Dec 18

Sanctuary Dec 18

Disc 5

Directions Dec 19

Honky Tonk Dec 19

What I Say Dec 19

Sanctuary Dec 19

Disc 6

Directions Dec 19

Funky Tonk Dec 19

Sanctuary Dec 19

It's About That Time Dec 19

Sanctuary Dec 19

Musicians: Gary Bartz (ss, as)

Keith Jarrett (el-p, org)

John McLaughlin (19 Dec only) (g)

Michael Henderson (el-B)

Jack DeJohnette (d)

Airto Moreira (perc, voc)

Conrad Roberts (narr)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...6&category=1056

YESSSS - I cant wait I love the live tracks on LIVE EVIL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Tingen mentions in his book "Miles Beyond : Electric Explorations of Miles Davis, 1967-1991", that he was able to hear "Reference Copies" of this release (with Columbia's permission), and "Miles Beyond" (the book) was published in May of 2001, so Tingen had to have heard them in early 2001 (at the every latest), maybe even sometime in 2000.

I agree that we'll probably see all this material released within the next 6 to 24 months, but I don't think we're necessarily quite as close as "seeing promos on eBay" normally would indicate.

Funny packaging, though I guess it looks legit...

81_1_b.JPGdd_1.JPG

The music has also been circulating in filesharing channels for a few months. Someone could easily burn CD-Rs from those files and add some official-looking stickers. What does "reference copy" mean, and what about the text on that sticker? The Jack Johnson promo sets looked different, they came as manufactured CDs not CD-Rs.

Edited by Claude

“Miles Davis at the Cellar Door Disc 1 of 6. This is a work CD-R. Master tapes were not available when this CD-R was made. It was recorded from available disc sources.

Yeah, the language here smells kinda funny to me...

"Master tapes were not available when this CD-R was made."

Yeah, right. Why would Columbia, who owns the tapes, be working with anything other than the master tapes. Especially if these sound like 3rd or 5th generation copys (where the copies were done from magnetic tape to magnetic tape).

"It was recorded from available disc sources."

"Available" sources??? Come on...

smelly-fish.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

There are advanced promo copies of Ellington cds to come (Blues in Orbit, Piano in Background, Piano in Foreground) out there from Columbia as factory cdrs; I've had cdrs of other Columbia releases show up in advance from Columbia in cdr format as well. . . . So the cdr format is not prohibitive that they came from Columbia. Those all came in either jewel cases with a factory printed back card insert with details, or cardboard sleeves with a sticker with details. . . . None of these were "Reference Copies" however. I would think a reference copy would be an internally circulated copy and may have sketchy documentation. . . .

I've heard the music. It sounds fantastic!

yeah, sign me up for this on the day its released. I would prefer another fancy box set like the others in the studio recordings series, but anything will do, as long as it comes out. I'd also jump at the chance to hear some live recordings from the 60s quintet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The news of having this in a 6CD box set is not so great, because the material is very repetitive, but not in an interesting way such as in the Plugged Nickel box.

I disagree. I am very much looking forward to another multi-disc box from Columbia. I hope they stick to this announcement

The news of having this in a 6CD box set is not so great, because the material is very repetitive, but not in an interesting way such as in the Plugged Nickel box.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not interesting". This band was an exciting unit with four world-class improvisers. They did the material differently every time.

Guy