Miles Complete Live At The Cellar Door

Gary

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

For those of you who have orders with CD Universe I don't like what I see when I check my order history. I still have a "0" shipped next to my order along with the $39.19 but now in orange lettering it says "Pre-Order Now! Release Date Not Determined." I hope that's just some goofing around by CDU and that my order is still good for "date not determined."

What bothers me is the "Pre-Order Now!" listed beside it. I mean, I already have pre-ordered it. I don't think those words in orange were there a a few days ago. (And yup, as I have the Monk, and earlier order and then the upcoming Conns I have been checking my order history more than usual. :rolleyes:) I'm probably just being paranoid...speaking of which I think the Roswell Free Masons are behind the Cellar Door being delayed. :alien:

That "preorder" now has been there on the site all the time.

I opened my order up and removed the Jelly Roll Morton set I had ordered along with it, and the preorder price remained and it sits there ready to go as far as I can tell. I'm anticipating that when it is available to ship I will be billed the low price.

As an aside, the following is from the Red Trumpet site concerning this set:

"PLEASE NOTE: There has been a list price change from $54.98 to $109.98 and our site has been updated. We will honor the original price for all those that have placed their orders! In other words, although it has changed we do not feel that it is appropriate to cancel your orders! Thanks!"

Looks like some people are honoring the original price - incorrect or not. Unfortunatley, I didn't pre-order it. :(

• 14 years later...

Fourteen years (!) later ... and this is probably my favorite Miles box set. Keith Jarrett just kills it throughout. And Jack DeJohnette keeps up with him through every twisted beat — in fact, they almost seem to be sparring. Miles must have loved it. It's the funkiest boxing I've ever heard.

Gary Bartz, as much as I appreciate his playing, seems the least at ease, even stiff at times. (If only Wayne had stayed in the band a few months longer!) Anyone else feel that way about Bartz's playing?

I wonder what Joe Henderson would have done in that band ...

18 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Ditto.

The whole set should really be released again. Maybe in a simpler clam-shell box, and ideally without those terrible envelope (minus top flap) sleeve holders.

Classical labels in the last 3-5 years have been reissuing tons of fairly rare music from the vaults in clam-shell boxes. They're affordable and no-nonsense sets, where the music takes center stage. I wish Sony would do the same with all the Miles Davis box sets of the past. Those fold-out digipack sets (think the Fillmore set) are a drag.