Peter Ind (1928-2021)

clifford_thornton

Very sorry to hear this, though pleased he had such a long life.

I knew Peter well in the 1960s when he was teaching on the UK's first jazz course at Leeds College of Music.

It was through Peter that I got to meet Lennie Tristano - at the Harrogate Arts Festival in 1968.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:42 AM, Gheorghe said:

Very sad. 

But is it possible he had been sick for years, I saw a later photograf of him and his face looked like if he had a stroke, partially paralized..

yeah, I think you are right but he still played and worked his ass off!

I suppose Dick Scott/Tox Drohar is still with us, as far as surviving Tristano-ites go.

In the mid-70's my wife and I were visiting London. Thought it would interesting to go the Peter Ind's - Bass Clef club to hear some music. Had a hell of a time  finding our way there via the Underground. Eventually got there and  did get to hear some nice music. Though, I don't actually recall who was performing that evening so very long ago. Doubt if it was anything really special, or I would have remembered

Very sad to hear. He had a fantastic career, and was quite a character. He played bass on Jimmy Raney's "Suite For Guitar Quintet", and with Warne Marsh, Konitz, Tristano, and even wrote a very good book on Tristano -"Jazz Visions of Lenny Tristano", which I enjoyed very much.

He operated his own club The Bass Clef, and produced some great albums in his own loft. RIP, Mr. Ind.

13 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, I think you are right but he still played and worked his ass off!

I suppose Dick Scott/Tox Drohar is still with us, as far as surviving Tristano-ites go.

I'm pleased to say that British guitarist Dave Cliff, who you could call a third generation Tristano-ite, is still with us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cliff

I've always been tempted to think that "free" playing was the logical end-result of Tristano-ism (as I do with George Russel's LCC), but usually don't yield to that temptation. There are those who will push back against that, and they have some valid arguments.

All these people we're talking about, they all hung with Crothers while she was living with Tristano, correct? I know she was in kind of a caretaker role at the end, but before that, was he engaged with those players to any degree?

Yes, I think you are right -- not sure about before that with respect to the saxophonists we're talking about. I agree with you to an extent about Free & Tristano, bu there are so many ways to play free that don't intersect with him & his ideas directly, it becomes a bit of an analytical shell game. 

Musica Elettronica Viva had a piece called "Chinese Food" but it wasn't necessarily take-out from Confucius, y'know?