Peter Ind (1928-2021)

clifford_thornton

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

All these people we're talking about, they all hung with Crothers while she was living with Tristano, correct? I know she was in kind of a caretaker role at the end, but before that, was he engaged with those players to any degree?

Have a recording from the Berlin Jazz Festival  with Connie Crothers ---> very nice.

Tristano Memorial        1980/10/30    CD-R         Berlin        Crothers,Connie

On 22.8.2021 at 0:02 AM, mjzee said:

One of my favorite photos:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpixhost.icu%2Favaxhome%

Never saw that. Frrom what year is it, it may be fifties, early sixties . Did Peter Ind really have such long hair and such a beard then. Is this before the hippie movement. Also on later photos he looks a bit like a hippie. Anyway I have heard, that Lennie Tristano was a very strange person and some of his students also became a bit "strange" and always remained associated with the "Tristano School". 

Somehow I didn´t listen much to other Tristano records than those from the 40s, mostly with Billy Bauer in trio, and then of course with Konitz and Warne Marsh, but very very little after 1955 (I only liked the tracks live with Konitz, but somehow I´m not prepared for all that overdubbing. I still have a record "Crescent into the Maelstrom" with some really strange music, but two very fine solo ballads from 1965 in Paris, I think Darn That Dream is one of them.

I last saw Peter Ind in 1984 at a concert at Manchester's Royal Exchange Theatre. Old Tristano-ite friends in the rhythm section: Peter, Al Levitt and Dave Cliff, but a very different front line: Jimmy Deuchar, Slide Hampton and Johnny Griffin. Great session! :excited: