Don Everly RIP

jazztrain

Don Everly, the older of the two Everly brothers, has passed away at age 84.

I was fortunate enough to have seen the brothers perform together as an opening act for Simon & Garfunkel in 2003.https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/22/obituaries/don-everly-older-brother-in-groundbreaking-rock-duo-dies-at-84.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

True pioneers.  My biggest thrill in Nashville was to visit RCA Studio B.  Some guy named Elvis something recorded most of his output there, but what really hit me was that "this is where the Everly Brothers recorded Cathy's Clown!".  BTW, Ryman Auditorium was also a surprisingly moving experience, and the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Johnny Cash Museum both greatly exceeded my expectations.  Whole trip did a lot more to me than I thought it would.  My wife and two of her co-workers had a prosthetics conference there and I had just tagged along to do the driving and share some time with her.

I guess their personal dysfunctions were as intense as their harmonies were otherworldly. Yin-Yang, possibly, devilish dissonance one one sphere creating angelic harmony in the other..Funny how that so often works...angels and demons at play, indeed.

RIP, to this one and good lord, what a legacy, those two.