Albert Dailey.

Hardbopjazz

What a tragic loss it was when he died in his mid 40’s. He led just a handful of session in the 70’s and early 80’s. I have all six he led or co-led as a leader. There are many albums where he is a sideman.  I like His playing on Archie Shepp’s “Ballads for Trane.”  Any other good recordings with Dailey to check out?

9 minutes ago, felser said:

Gary Bartz - Libra; Freddie Hubbard - Backlash; Stan Getz - The Master; Dizzy Reece - Manhattan Project; Art Farmer - The Time and the Place; Walt Dickerson - To My Queen Revisited.

I have these. All are very nice.

9 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

He made a nice album with Stan Getz in the '80s called Poetry.

(2) Stan Getz & Albert Dailey - Poetry (full album) - YouTube

I have this one too. It is very good.

7 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

81dOlEdDd9L._AC_UY218_.jpg

51yL2wte44L._AC_UY218_.jpg

51WkQf3RzAL._AC_UY218_.jpg

515zfYKNCQL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I don't have the Lee Konitz album. I will look to get that one. Thanks. 

I have one from about 1976 when he played for a short time with the Messengers with Blakey. I think it was an Roulette album, and I think it had allready Dave Schnitter on tenor, who was later with the really great comeback group of 77,78. Schnitter sings vocals on "Georgia on my Mind" and get´s a little into yodlering á la Leon Thomas....

I remember Dailley does some Garner like left hand on "Blues March"....

I think I didn´t give it much spinning because somehow 1975,76 is somthing like a dry period for acoustic jazz. It was somehow half hearted remake of hardbop, and quite a difficult time for Blakey. I think he really had a comeback one or two years later, when he toured the world again. 

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have one from about 1976 when he played for a short time with the Messengers with Blakey. I think it was an Roulette album, and I think it had allready Dave Schnitter on tenor, who was later with the really great comeback group of 77,78. Schnitter sings vocals on "Georgia on my Mind" and get´s a little into yodlering á la Leon Thomas....

I remember Dailley does some Garner like left hand on "Blues March"....

I think I didn´t give it much spinning because somehow 1975,76 is somthing like a dry period for acoustic jazz. It was somehow half hearted remake of hardbop, and quite a difficult time for Blakey. I think he really had a comeback one or two years later, when he toured the world again. 

I already posted this - Art Blakey -Backgammon

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I already posted this - Art Blakey -Backgammon

oh yes, now I see it. Mine had another cover. 

But even if you posted it, you got a little review from me, even if I wrote it only from my memories, just re-listenig the music in my head....., but yeah when I will have the necesarry time, I will spin it. 

Now I hear music almost only "in my head", all the solos all the tunes, and so on, just to relax between hard work and if I come home I´m too tired....

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminded me of the one time I heard Dailey...  He oversaw a jam session on Sunday afternoon at Folk City (renamed “Jazz City” for the afternoon, as I recall) in the early’70’s -  I was excited to hear him, but after a brief set he turned the stage over to some old-time blues singer, who I didn’t have much interest in. Turned out to be VictoriaSpivey. What do I know?

Mine is a Columbia promo, seems like it might have been one of "those" records, if you know what I mean. A loss-leader/tax write off that nobody tried too hard to get out there.

But I could be wrong.

IIRC, Chris Albertson had some kind of inside skinny-baseball story about it all, Daily/Carlos/Columbia. But all I can remember is that I think I remeber him having some kind of story.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Mine is a Columbia promo, seems like it might have been one of "those" records, if you know what I mean. A loss-leader/tax write off that nobody tried too hard to get out there.

But I could be wrong.

No, you're probably right.  I've never even heard of that one, and Columbia was pushing some of their jazz recordings (Jarrett, Mingus, Ornette, Bill Evans, George Russell, etc. in addition to their big sellers Miles and Weather Report and Herbie Hancock) pretty heavily then, and I was very tuned into the label.  Of course, they dropped all those "esoteric" guys  when they gave Clive Davis the boot in '73, keeping the big sellers.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

But I could be wrong.

IIRC, Chris Albertson had some kind of inside skinny-baseball story about it all, Daily/Carlos/Columbia. But all I can remember is that I think I remeber him having some kind of story.

My copy is also a promo.