Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJ Shearn

Review of Lyle Mays: Eberhard

6 posts in this topic

Extensive and insightful review - great job! I will definitely be picking this up. 

I was and still am a huge fan of the Pat Metheny Group, of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays.  Mays was incredible in that group and I had always hoped that they would come back and do an album or two.  Obviously that was not to be.  From my standpoint - PMG was the highlight of both of their careers and that experience was punctuated by their final PMG album - The Way Up.  I love that album.  I'll be interested in hearing Eberhard

A weird thing happened to me on February 10, 2020.  I hadn't listened to Pat Metheny for a while, so I headed down to my basement where I listen to music.  I pulled an assortment of Metheny albums off my shelf and went to put them into my six disc changer.  I pulled some PMG, Unity band, a solo record, trio, ECM stuff and started to load it into my player.  But then I said to myself - I just want to listen to Metheny playing with Lyle Mays.  So I changed my selections to make sure that Mays was on every disc.

The next morning, I found out that Lyle Mays had passed away the previous day - February 10, 2020

Excellent review!

Personal laff here - I work with a guy whose last name is Eberhard, and I started to tell him about this record, see if he had some familial connection to the subject or whatever. Good thing I didn't do that, seeing as how the tribute is Eberhard Weber, who I almost always forget to think about!