Barbara Moore (Vocal Shades and Tones) RIP

Teasing the Korean

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I like that! Is it still available?

How was this record marketed in it's original incarnation?

Vocal Shades and Tones was a library album, so it was not commercially available.  A lot of library albums and composers were rediscovered through a combination of DJ culture and the "lounge" revival.  Several tracks, such as "Hot Heels," appeared on comps, and the entire album was released at some point.

Voices in Latin was a commercially available album.  I have the CD reissue.

Moore did lots of behind-the-scenes stuff also. 

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That 'Hideaway" thing is especially nice. Are there writer and arranging credits for that?

Yes, she is credited as composer and arranger on that track.  Early on in that interview clip I posted above, she discusses her first studio experience as an arranger/conductor, and how the male orchestra was not prepared for this.  It's a cool story.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This is very sad news. She was ubiquitous over here for many years in vocal groups such as the Ladybirds, as well as being featured prominently in the more jazzy De Wolfe library sessions. Very talented arranger as well - RIP.

So she is fairly well-known in the UK?  In the US, she is very much an underground, cult figure.

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

So she is fairly well-known in the UK?  In the US, she is very much an underground, cult figure.

Same here - very much a cult figure. Having said that, she appeared on TV in vocal backing groups a fair bit back in the day (60s-70s). The Ladybirds in particular.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Bill Nelson said:

Barbara Moore was the singer on the Roger Webb Sound's 'Vocal Patterns'.

Here's one track which qualifies for entry in TTK's 'Now Sound' or 'Swinging Jet Set':

Oh, yes, that has that sound indeed!  It makes me want to misbehave and uncork a bottle of wine, something that I shouldn't do tonight, as I've come down with something. (Not COVID, thankfully; I got tested and the results came back negative.)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

This may or may not be a synergy, but that Voices In Latin record was released in America by Pulsar, which was a subsidiary of Mercury, which was where Walter Raim had been a few years before.

R-2796590-1342554788-3403.jpeg.jpg

And the Walter Raim albums on MTA have a black label, like that of Pulsar!!!

well, label color is meaningless, but who you network with isn't! So, since Raim was already maybe working in that general area when he was with Mercury, maybe he got her name around that world, or something. It's not like people just call you up and say, hey, we've got a pretty beneath-the-radar sub-sub-sul label here, you want to be on it?

Also on Mercury, Spanky & Our Gang, whose more "deep" cuts are would not be out of place here...so something was going onat Mercury in the late-60s, although what it is, don't ask me.

Somebody there knew who she was at some point, or else that record would not be on that label.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

well, label color is meaningless, but who you network with isn't! So, since Raim was already maybe working in that general area when he was with Mercury, maybe he got her name around that world, or something. It's not like people just call you up and say, hey, we've got a pretty beneath-the-radar sub-sub-sul label here, you want to be on it?

Also on Mercury, Spanky & Our Gang, whose more "deep" cuts are would not be out of place here...so something was going onat Mercury in the late-60s, although what it is, don't ask me.

Somebody there knew who she was at some point, or else that record would not be on that label.

Of course, I was just kidding.  

Ok, wasn't sure. Saul Goode then.

Looking at Pulsar...it doesn't look like something that would have naturally landed there...looks like a R&B label mostly.

https://www.discogs.com/label/157960-Pulsar-Records

US soul record label located in Los Angeles, California and founded in 1968. The label's president was Irwin Garr, and the label was distributed by Mercury Record Productions, Inc.

The label signed the production duo of Mac Rebennack and Harold Battiste (Halmac Productions), who produced King Floyd & The Three Queens for the label.

But there was an almost immediate (chronologically) intersection with Morgan Music, the UK label which released the Sounds of Latin record as well as this one (ANY idea what it is?)

R-3190007-1351121026-1077.jpeg.jpg

R-2976839-1310140804.jpeg.jpg

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, wasn't sure. Saul Goode then.

Looking at Pulsar...it doesn't look like something that would have naturally landed there...looks like a R&B label mostly.

https://www.discogs.com/label/157960-Pulsar-Records

US soul record label located in Los Angeles, California and founded in 1968. The label's president was Irwin Garr, and the label was distributed by Mercury Record Productions, Inc.

The label signed the production duo of Mac Rebennack and Harold Battiste (Halmac Productions), who produced King Floyd & The Three Queens for the label.

But there was an almost immediate (chronologically) intersection with Morgan Music, the UK label which released the Sounds of Latin record as well as this one (ANY idea what it is?)

R-3190007-1351121026-1077.jpeg.jpg

R-2976839-1310140804.jpeg.jpg

That won't do for my bachelor's tomb at all. Some nice things on Vocal Shades and Tones, though.

Honestly, I still ahve a hard time buying into "library music" for whatever reason...it all seems like music done on spec, which is what it is, what any "commercial music" is, really. But in the end, it all seems a little amorphous. Like well-arranged and played job music swathed in narcotic reverb. The surface is beautiful, though.

But that "Hideaway" thing...I feel that one.

They got the whole album on the YouTubes:

Like Jackie & Roy's Grass, only....better.

On 8/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, JSngry said:

Honestly, I still ahve a hard time buying into "library music" for whatever reason...it all seems like music done on spec, which is what it is, what any "commercial music" is, really. But in the end, it all seems a little amorphous. Like well-arranged and played job music swathed in narcotic reverb. The surface is beautiful, though.

Keep in mind that libraries commissioned all kinds of styles for various moods.  Some A-list composers and musicians who were between assignments contributed.  There are some fascinating library albums.  For example, Morricone and Nicolai did a ten-album set of avant-garde stuff.  It is as good as any comparable music in their regular catalogs, perhaps even more interesting than some of the others they did.

I know, just haven't heard anything yet that "transcends". Tried that Clarke/Boland stuff, didn't really sink in. But I have an admittedly/relatively small sample size of this stuff, which certainly appears to be massive in scope.

Did I read the one Discogs page right that John McLaughlin played on the S&T record? Shouldn't be surprised!

What about that Chiitra Neogy record? What a trip!