Surprising Brian Wilson Interview from 1976

Teasing the Korean

I have long had the impression - correctly or incorrectly - that Brian was pretty out there in the early- to mid-70s, and that he eventually kind of got it together by the late 1980s, through a combination of prescription meds and because of, or despite, therapy.

But check out this 1976 interview.  Brian is certainly quirky - he always was - but he is lucid, articulate, and self-aware here.

Compare this to interviews from more recent decades, and I think you will see what I mean.

It makes you wonder if prescription drugs are as bad as if not worse than some of the recreational drugs.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Well, we know Eugene Landy is more damaging to your health than many recreational drugs (also check out his involvement with Gig Young, and how horrifically that ended).  Brian was actually recording a solo album around the time of the interview, which morphed into "The Beach Boys Love You".  Not exactly a classic, or even necessarily good, but he did have it together enough to get the album done after being largely AWOL since the fabulous "Surf's Up" album from five years earlier.  He wouldn't surface again until his 1988 solo album (which has great production and OK songs).  Do see 'Love and Mercy' if you haven't already.  Such a good movie.  

12 minutes ago, felser said:

Well, we know Eugene Landy is more damaging to your health than many recreational drugs 

Of course.

12 minutes ago, felser said:

... "The Beach Boys Love You".  Not exactly a classic, or even necessarily good...

Love You is one of my favorite Beach Boys albums and IMO their last really great album, although I do love the song "Good Timin'" that they released a few years later.  This is from someone how has all their albums from the beginning through Love You.  

24 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Love You is one of my favorite Beach Boys albums and IMO their last really great album..

Same here. Might even be my most favorite, at the end of the day. The synths on that album...way ahead of their time (in pop terms). Just sheer brilliance, no matter how eccentric. Brilliant and in total command of his instrument/band/studio. Not one false move or note on that one!

I remember those years, the "Brian Is Back" years, and got the impression that Brian at that time was pulling it together because he wanted to, and then it seemed like he stopped because he didn't want to. Simple as that. The SNL appearance was a little bit of all of that. It was obvious that he was not yet well, but it looked like he might get well, and then he didn't.

I love it when he geeks out (TWICE) about Spector & Pet Sounds...if anybody else would have spouted all that, you'd call bullshit on thier pretentious ass. But this guy, that's EXACTLY where he was with that. That's about the most hinest explanation of that I've ever heard.

The dysfunctionality in that family and organization is extreme by even American standards. I really do think that he had to get out of it by any means necessary, even if it meant shutting down his gift. That he got back in at all is a testament to the power of...something.

45 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

This is from someone how has all their albums from the beginning through Love You.  

Same here, and the only other ones I care about are the 50th reunion live and studio albums.  But to me, the last really great album was Surf's Up.  I can't get into the quirkiness of Love You.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The dysfunctionality in that family and organization is extreme by even American standards. I really do think that he had to get out of it by any means necessary, even if it meant shutting down his gift. That he got back in at all is a testament to the power of...something.

Yeah, Charles Manson was also more damaging to your health than certain recreational drugs.  The completed Smile was a miracle, but Today through Surfs Up is still the period I really care about.

I like that Brian's first answer to his "favorite" is Friends. Definitely a connoisseur's choice! :g

15 Big Ones was...forced, even though, moments of brilliance. But Love You, OMG...it's only quirky because it is. But Brain...in TOTAL command, and those synth textures got moved over into "New Wave" bands, like VERY quickly. It was noticeable to anybody who had been paying attention to Love You, which was about...five people.

The creepiest fade is "When a Man Needs a Woman," with that scary Eraserhead roller rink organ.

Another creepy fade is "Be With Me," where you hear Dennis scream, and then you just hear the strings playing by themselves.  You have to turn it up loud to hear them.

Capitol screwed up a lot of the early stereo fades by having the instruments disappear first.  This was because the mixing board had to be rigged for stereo mixing.   The mono fades were much better.

My wife spent an afternoon interviewing Brian at his home near Lake Arrowhead while he was preparing for his Smile tour.  Part of the time he sat at the piano and played things for her asking her opinion.  She says he was charming. Unfortunately the magazine for which she for which she was working folded before the interview was published. 

Just now, medjuck said:

My wife spent an afternoon interviewing Brian at his home near Lake Arrowhead while he was preparing for his Smile tour.  Part of the time he sat at the piano and played things for her asking her opinion.  She says he was charming. Unfortunately the magazine for which she for which she was working folded before the interview was published. 

You never know which Brian you are going to get.  I read an interview in which the writer said something like, "Despite all I'd read and all the research I'd done, nothing prepared me for what I encountered."  He must have caught him on a really bad day.  

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

The dysfunctionality in that family and organization is extreme by even American standards. 

I've often thought that The Beach Boys were this perfect microcosm of the American Dream gone awry.  A "happy" suburban postwar family, by all outward appearances. The kids are on the high school football and track teams.  But there is a Lynchian creepiness beneath the surface, thanks to Murry.  

The kids form a group with wholesome image.  And then there are the drugs, the divorces, therapy, the Sandstone sexual retreat, rubbing elbows with serial killers, marrying your cousin's daughter, ODing on drugs.  Brian may have been the first to check out, under other circumstances, but he has endured.   

It is amazing that they did so many health and safety songs, considering.

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

He has endured. And I'm perfectly happy if he never makes another record or anything. Just hope for him to live in peace, he's earned it.

+1.  Completing Smile was the perfect end to the story.