Occasional Singers

Peter Friedman

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I remember another one, "Sweet Jeannie Lou".

You're right, Mike. I had the feeling there was another one. It's a bit better than 'Round about 1 AM' (but not a lot).

Diz sang quite a bit and shouldn't count for this but, on 'Swing low, sweet Cadillac', James Moody joins in the vocalising. I've got it in mind that James sang on another album I've got (not Eddie Jefferson who usually did the vocals on his albums). Can't think of which one it was at present.

Grady Tate sang quite a bit but nowhere nearly as much as he played drums.

And Kenny Burrell seems to have made a few albums on which he sang, most uninterestingly, in recent years.

MG

Erroll Garner sang "I See You In My Dreams".
Dexter Gordon sang "Jelly Jelly Jelly".
David Schnitter sang "Georgia on My Mind on a 1976 Messenger Album "Bag Gammon" (I think that´s the title of the album"
Bud Powell sang "This is no laughing Matter" on Steeplechase Golden Circle Vol. 5, and "Chrismas Song" on a Bud at Home recordings on Mythic Sound.....

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Diz sang quite a bit and shouldn't count for this but, on 'Swing low, sweet Cadillac', James Moody joins in the vocalising. I've got it in mind that James sang on another album I've got (not Eddie Jefferson who usually did the vocals on his albums). Can't think of which one it was at present.

MG

James Moody famously sang "Benny's From Heaven".  I think there is a version of it on his Telarc CD called Moody's Party.  Even knowing the bit ahead of time, it was hilarious hearing him perform it in person.  I think he also sang on his Mancini CD, perhaps "I Love You and Don't You Forget It".

To my knowledge he never recorded a vocal on record, though I have an answering machine recording of Dave Brubeck singing a message to us. My wife's greeting was a sung message and Brubeck sang his reply. He was on the road and had forgotten the phone number of a lady who worked with him in editing his choral music, she was also a friend of ours.

8 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

To my knowledge he never recorded a vocal on record, though I have an answering machine recording of Dave Brubeck singing a message to us. My wife's greeting was a sung message and Brubeck sang his reply. He was on the road and had forgotten the phone number of a lady who worked with him in editing his choral music, she was also a friend of ours.

Upload it, and post it here! I’d love to hear this (especially if you can include your wife’s sung greeting).