Lee 'Scratch' Perry RIP

mjazzg

RIP to one of the great, true originals. 

He and Bob Marley were musical soulmates. Perry influenced Bob to change his singing style, as Bob took on Perry's cadence and overall style, utilizing that over all of his recordings afterward. Those Perry-produced Wailers tunes are legendary of course.

Lee was also a master of percussion. He apparently picked up tone variation by throwing rocks in a gravel pit when he was growing up which is wild to me. The guy had no fear as a producer. Even before he created that signature Black Ark sound his recordings were recognizable and had his unique signature style. 

Those Black Ark tunes though - wow. Used a TEAC-4 track with Mutron phaser to create a totally immersive soundscape. He also had the brilliant idea to add Watty Burnett to the Congos, as he didn't think Cedric Myton and Ashanti Roy sang very well and needed an extra layer. 

A cool video of recording at the Black Ark (that's Boris Gardener on bass):

And a great version of Rainy Night in Portland with Watty on lead vocal:

My personal favorite Lee Perry vocal track: 

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

One of the great records of all time, in a large part down to the production.

I can still remember that day I heard it for the first time, about 40 (ouch!) years ago. 

edit to add: does anyone know if the Blood&Fire reissue is still the best about or have more recent releases surpassed it?

Edited by mjazzg

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I can still remember that day I heard it for the first time, about 40 (ouch!) years ago. 

edit to add: does anyone know if the Blood&Fire reissue is still the best about or have more recent releases surpassed it?

The more recent releases came from VP, and they're hit or miss (largely miss when it comes to SQ). It was a deluxe edition with both the '77 and '78 mixes. I think they used B&F's mastering for the international release ('78 release) but "cleaned up" the original Perry mix (see one of the comments on the discogs page). Probably worth it to check out the OG mix, but overall I'm betting the B&F is superior. I especially liked the second CD with the different extended mixes. Of course there's also other tracks from this session included on Arkology, which is essential. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

The more recent releases came from VP, and they're hit or miss (largely miss when it comes to SQ). It was a deluxe edition with both the '77 and '78 mixes. I think they used B&F's mastering for the international release ('78 release) but "cleaned up" the original Perry mix (see one of the comments on the discogs page). Probably worth it to check out the OG mix, but overall I'm betting the B&F is superior. I especially liked the second CD with the different extended mixes. Of course there's also other tracks from this session included on Arkology, which is essential. 

Thanks.  just ordered the B&F 2CD, should have had it years ago, very remiss