Ray Charles

mrjazzman

I can't believe what I just saw on youtube, excerpts from  "O-Genio: Live In Brazil, 1963 [DVD] by Ray Charles with a band with David "Fathead" Newman and Tina Brooks, Yes, Tina Brooks on film, jamming together. But what was most amazing is to hear Ray Charles playing and even soloing on alto sax. Unbelievable Is this a "where have you been" moment for me? because I knew he played several instruments but  I never knew he could play sax like that.

Ô-Genio: Live in Brazil, 1963 [DVD]

Ô-Genio: Live in Brazil, 1963 [DVD]

More alto playing from Ray on this one, from 1957, the year before the Newport gig.

R-804622-1444007353-7975.jpeg.jpg

In 1959, he added Hank Crawford on baritone to the band. David Newman had doubled on baritone & tenor before. Now he doubled on alto and tenor and Ray didn't play much alto ever afterwards.

MG

He played alto on the 1977 SNL episode that he hosted. some crazy setup, the band was playing an instrumental, everybody soloed, and then he popped up with his alto and took a chorus!

Great episode, with the classic band, Fathead, Hank, Hog...a memorable evening for sure!