Streaming questions

Tom in RI

18 hours ago, Milestones said:

I am using Apple Music for the first.  My wife and I got 3 months free due to upgrading our phones.  I am much more into listening on my computer than my phone.  Can you actually download these songs and keep them forever on the computer?  Can you burn tracks to a CD?   I suspect not.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not even with some trickyass file conversion software?

I think you still need iTunes to do any burning onto CD. That's how I did my last BFT actually....I haven't tried, but I don't think there's any real bridge between Apple Music & iTunes to send music back/forth. The only work around I can think of would be a Tascam type of recording device.  

@Milestones I definitely recommend using a bluetooth connection to send either to your main stereo receiver or a decent BT speaker. While working I use one of those Bose Soundlinks. Other times I send direct to the receiver which has better speakers. You should be able to do that both from a computer/laptop/tablet or smartphone. Either way it's substantially better than using the built in speakers on the computer or phone. 

I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality overall from Apple Music. I haven't used any of the higher end services like Tidal or Qobuz but for what I'm getting with this app for the money I'm not really curious either. 

40 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I've been using external Bose speakers for my desktop computer...for a long time now.  They are quite satisfying to me.

Not interested in listening to music on my cell phone.  Well, maybe I would if I was stranded on a mountain and might not be rescued for two or three days.

:lol: Good luck on reception though. 

I stream from Apple Music and download the albums to my iPhone. Quite a lot of jazz is available for me to download to my phone FREE. Of course to access  many many more albums would require me to join Apple Music and pay the monthly fee.

At home I listen to CDs, but when out doing my morning walk I listen to the music streamed to my iPhone through my iPodsPlus.

My car has no CD player, but has a place for me to attach my iPhone. That allows me to listen to the music I had downloaded through the car speakers which are decent.

It strikes me as strange, but highly positive, that I can access and download hundreds of great jazz  albums FREE from a huge diverse number of musicians.  Though some labels and musicians are not available without formerly joining Apple Music, I have downloaded FREE -  albums by Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin, Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris, Cedar Walton, Art Pepper, Al Haig, Anita O'day, Art Blakey, Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Wes Montgomery, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Lester Young, Count Basie, and perhaps hundreds of others.

In fact, I have so much music downloaded onto my iPhone that I am very close to having no more storage space left. So every so often I go through what is on my iPhone and delete a few to make room for more I may decide to download.

6 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I stream from Apple Music and download the albums to my iPhone. Quite a lot of jazz is available for me to download to my phone FREE. Of course to access  many many more albums would require me to join Apple Music and pay the monthly fee.

At home I listen to CDs, but when out doing my morning walk I listen to the music streamed to my iPhone through my iPodsPlus.

My car has no CD player, but has a place for me to attach my iPhone. That allows me to listen to the music I had downloaded through the car speakers which are decent.

It strikes me as strange, but highly positive, that I can access and download hundreds of great jazz  albums FREE from a huge diverse number of musicians.  Though some labels and musicians are not available without formerly joining Apple Music, I have downloaded FREE -  albums by Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin, Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris, Cedar Walton, Art Pepper, Al Haig, Anita O'day, Art Blakey, Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Wes Montgomery, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Lester Young, Count Basie, and perhaps hundreds of others.

In fact, I have so much music downloaded onto my iPhone that I am very close to having no more storage space left. So every so often I go through what is on my iPhone and delete a few to make room for more I may decide to download.

Similarly, I download from Spotify to my phone, usually having about 15 albums there, which I change on a daily basis. There are three people in my family using Spotify and as my daughter pays the monthly £14.99, I guess I'm getting my music for free, too, Peter! I no longer have the equipment to play discs, but the thousands of albums which I can find on Spotify are quite enough for me! The big plus for me is mobility. With Dexter in my ears even the daily supermarket shopping is a pleasure!

• 4 months later...

Another streaming question, do most services show or give a choice of which issue of a date you can stream? In other words, can you choose mastering that is better than others? I became curious when reading about the recent Candid reissues here.

41 minutes ago, Tom in RI said:

Another streaming question, do most services show or give a choice of which issue of a date you can stream? In other words, can you choose mastering that is better than others? I became curious when reading about the recent Candid reissues here.

I've used Spotify, Tidal, Amazon and Qobuz and my impression is that each of them have sometimes, but not consistently had more than one version of an album. I don't think any are consistently listing multiple versions and sometimes even if they are it's not always apparent which version is which. The 'cataloguing' of their catalogues is not their strongest point.

Just did a check on Qobuz for Henderson's ' Page One' ( just the first title that came to mind with multiple issues) and two versions appear, one dated 2017 which digging deeper is a 90s release and the other is helpfully only referred to as 1963. On Tidal there are four versions all dated 1963! On the credits of two it mentions who mastered it so you could maybe work out a release date from that 

Both platforms highlight the mastering quality e.g. HiRes, which seems to be the big push in streaming.

I will say that I haven't actively sought out particular issues of a release. I use streaming for more casual listening.

Edited by mjazzg

The resolution of the music has less to do with how it sounds than how it was mastered. If someone remasters a recording and crushes the dynamic range by compressing the heck out of it, it won't matter if it was uploaded as a 16/44, DSD or 24/96 file - it will still sound like crap. If there are multiple versions, I would recommend listening to each version and hearing if one sounds better than the other. Just don't worry about the resolution. It means a lot less to the overall sound than you might think.

I use both Amazon Music and Tidal (which a friend gifted me). Both are good and have extensive catalogs. It's nice having both because they don't duplicate each other exactly, and Tidal often has a better jazz selection than Amazon.

• 2 months later...
On 16.12.2021 at 7:51 PM, BillF said:

I no longer have the equipment to play discs, but the thousands of albums which I can find on Spotify are quite enough for me! The big plus for me is mobility. With Dexter in my ears even the daily supermarket shopping is a pleasure!

But only if you´re going for "Cheese cake" :-) :-) :-)
(duck and cover)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 1:16 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

I use Apple Music but utilize my physical collection most of the time.  I've found Apple Music useful as it allows me to stream playlists etc. from my Itunes throughout my house-an essential feature for me.  

I use Amazon HD but primarily to test drive albums but also if I'm a bit tight on money I'll listen to something until I get it but my CD and SACD's as my primary mode of listening 

• 1 month later...

Trying out YT Music and it’s a very similar interface compared to Spotify. One advantage is that YT can access “videos” of songs and albums that technically haven’t been released on other platforms, but uploaded to YT via users. Pretty big advantage I have to say as you can find stuff Apple and Spotify will likely never have. 

18 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Trying out YT Music and it’s a very similar interface compared to Spotify. One advantage is that YT can access “videos” of songs and albums that technically haven’t been released on other platforms, but uploaded to YT via users. Pretty big advantage I have to say as you can find stuff Apple and Spotify will likely never have. 

I could see that as an advantage over Apple Music but the fact that my library is uploaded to the cloud and accessible through Apple Music still makes it the best option for me

On 10/8/2022 at 9:30 AM, jcam_44 said:

I could see that as an advantage over Apple Music but the fact that my library is uploaded to the cloud and accessible through Apple Music still makes it the best option for me

Can definitely understand that. There’s no good reason to abandon a music library just for this. 

From the perspective of accessing these platforms via Droid, that aspect of YT Music is a real advantage unless one really loves podcasts. Spotify almost owns that market at this point.