Blindfold #209--Reveal

Milestones

August 2021

This was not a difficult blindfold, but there was a connection between the pieces.

The common ground is that every track features at least one musician (and usually several) who played with Miles Davis—and Randy was the one who spotted that.    Most often the connection is through the leader, but sometimes the thread exists among the sidemen.  I avoided several artists who would be instantly recognized: Coltrane, Cannonball, John McLaughlin, Bill Evans. Still, it proved to be an easy BFT. 

ONE:    Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section. “Jazz Me Blues”—Art Pepper / 1957

·        This track obviously belongs to Art, but features the entire Miles rhythm section of Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones.  They are even given equal credit in the title.

TWO:    Let’s Hang Out.  “It Never Entered My Mind”—J.J. (with Jimmy Heath) / 1992

·        J.J. Johnson appeared with Miles several times in the 50’s, as did Jimmy Heath (at least once together).  This record is of much more recent vintage.

THREE:Standards (and Other Songs)  “L Bird”—Mike Stern (with Al Foster) / 1992

·        Stern had a significant stint in Miles’ early comeback, and Al Foster is found on quite a few records.  The track also features Randy Brecker doing a Milesian turn.

FOUR:   The Trio. "Angel Eyes”—Tommy Flanagan (with Ron Carter and Tony Williams) / 1983

·        This is the only track on which everyone played with Miles.

FIVE:    We’ll Soon Find Out.  “Bit O’ Water”—Joey Baron (with Ron Carter) / 2000.

·        I think this is a fine piece from leader Joey Baron with Arthur Blythe, Bill Frisell, and Ron Carter (who of course is the Miles connection).

SIX:      The Individualism of Gil Evans.  "Barracudas”—Gil Evans (with Wayne Shorter) / 1964

·        Well, Gil Evans certainly had a big Miles connection, and Wayne just as much if not more.  This was a much-admired track on the BFT, and for excellent reasons.

SEVEN:   Trio Music.  "Think of One”—Chick Corea (with Roy Haynes) / 1982

·        Chick largely channeling Monk, and the great Haynes on drums.  I don’t think Mirolsav Vitous ever played with Miles, but who knows?

EIGHT:    Beyond the Blue Horizon. "Somewhere in the East”—George Benson / 1971

·        A track from my favorite Benson record.  Benson worked with Miles on one record, while Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette were major contributors to Miles’ music.   

NINE:   The Nurturer.  "Batista’s Groove”—Geri Allen (with Kenny Garrett) / 1990

·        Geri Allen put together a fine group, with a solid spotlight on Garrett—the last great sideman in Miles’ bands.  

TEN:      Prime Directive. "Candlelight Vigil”—Dave Holland / 1999

·        Nice mellow track by the Dave Holland Quintet, except the drummer lays out.  Holland is the sole link.

ELEVEN:   The Opener.  "Oscalypso”—Curtis Fuller (with Hank Mobley and Paul Chambers) / 1957

·        This enjoyable number features three fine Miles sidemen: Chambers, Mobley, and Art Taylor.

TWELVE:    The Wonderful World of Jazz.  "Afternoon in Paris”—John Lewis / 1960

·        This midsize group prominently features the unmistakable Dolphy, who I’m sure would never have been invited to play with Miles.  The Miles connection is the leader, John Lewis.

THIRTEEN:    Groove Elation. "Lazy”—John Scofield / 1995

·        Another guitarist who made some nice contributions late in Miles’ career.

Enjoyable BFT, thanks for putting it together! It kind of sucks having to avoid more obvious artists because they'd be picked up on immediately. To add to your list, one could almost never put a Paul Desmond track here. I'm still shocked at how folks on this board are able to pick these artists that shouldn't be so easy, but decades of trained ears will do that I guess. 

27 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

. I'm still shocked at how folks on this board are able to pick these artists that shouldn't be so easy, but decades of trained ears will do that I guess. 

With certain players, it really is a matter of them speaking in a voice, literally speaking, literally in a personal voice, same as if you pick up the phone, and as soon as they speak, you know who it is.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

With certain players, it really is a matter of them speaking in a voice, literally speaking, literally in a personal voice, same as if you pick up the phone, and as soon as they speak, you know who it is.

I can pick up on this more with horns than other instruments but my ear isn't honed that well at this point. Would you say horns are the "easiest" to hear the player's voice through? For me, bass is particularly difficult to pick out the player. Monk and maybe Bud are the only pianists I can pick up on regularly. 

Timbre, inflection, and cadence, People very often play as they speak, and vice-versa. Even if you've never heard them verbally speak, theiri music still has those qualities.

Plus, not everybody that has a strong voice has a unique voice.

But you're also right, it does take time to learn a voice, especially since it's all on record. It's not like Stanley Turrentine is out in his yard every day for you to hang out with and shoot the bull.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

People very often play as they speak, and vice-versa. Even if you've never heard them verbally speak, theiri music still has those qualities.

Booker Ervin's speaking voice would've been pretty interesting to hear then. That's another horn player that a beginner's ear can pick out on the regular. 

I get that it is sometimes hard to tell piano players.  It has taken me a long time deeply appreciate certain fine players because I didn't hear them as being truly distinctive.  I'm referring to pianists like Tommy Flanagan and Wynton Kelly.

Still, there are quite a few that I identify instantly: Monk, Tatum, Ellington, Weston, Tyner, Evans, Taylor, Silver, Corea (usually), Jarett (usually). 

As for bass, I find that Haden, Mingus, Carter, and Pastorious have highly distinctive voices.  

Edited by Milestones