Jazz guitarists--nice guys?

Milestones

Said 'hi' to Frisell once, he seemed ok.  I knew two local PDX blues/surf/whatever guitarists who worked together sometimes, one was definitely more tightly wound and hot 'n cold than the other but he was still basically a good guy.  Know another jazz/is-it-jazz player in SK who's a wonderful guy. FWIW.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:26 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

The story about Al getting shat on by pigeons is priceless...And it was his own fault!

Alright, if you're going to play hard-to-get, I'll trade you your ADM pigeon crap story for a PM on another ADM story that I've been sworn to secrecy on, but you can't tell anyone about it, or I'm through.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:07 PM, JSngry said:

Sending this one out to all the Jazz Guitarists in the world! Especially the bridge!

That thing cursedly made the top 40 where I lived at the time (Cincinnati), and I had to listen to it on my transistor radio over and over again for a few weeks!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, sgcim said:

If you think Pat Metheny is a nice guy, you should read Gary Burton's autobiography "Learning To Listen". He devotes a page to why he fired PM from his band.

Tal came down to hear me at a club I was playing at in NY. We went out for breakfast afterwards, and he was the most easy-going, mellow guy you'd ever meet. Not even a hint of egotistic manner about him. Considering he was, at one time, IMHO, the greatest mainstream jazz guitarist living, I could only think that he practiced Zen Buddhism.

Tough job assignments.

I can imagine!

Yes Pat is VERY specific... and I know a few stories about a few things re: what he expects. HOWEVER... two things: He's never been anything but fantastic to me, he actually donated towards my new apartment after the fire, and he and his team sent me a care package of damn near his entire catalog.  As for douche guitar players, Joel Fass years ago was not a very nice guy when I dealt with him as you know.

15 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Yes Pat is VERY specific... and I know a few stories about a few things re: what he expects. HOWEVER... two things: He's never been anything but fantastic to me, he actually donated towards my new apartment after the fire, and he and his team sent me a care package of damn near his entire catalog.  As for douche guitar players, Joel Fass years ago was not a very nice guy when I dealt with him as you know.

How would I know? I only met him once in my entire life, over 40 years ago!

I'm glad PM helped you out. I'm just quoting what Gary Burton said about PM in GB's autobiography.

Kenny Burrell was someone my parents went to school with and knew.  They would always go to see him when he came back to Detroit to play and Kenny would unfailingly come by and greet us very warmly.  One time when he was doing an extended gig in town another friend of my parents who was closer to Kenny brought him and some of his local family members out on a Sunday for a day at our cottage on Lake Erie.  He was warm, talkative, and very friendly and relaxed, and really enjoyed a day swimming at our beach with some of his family and some old friends from WSU.  Later, when we were grilling some burgers etc. for dinner he even strummed out a couple of short songs on my mother's old rarely-played acoustic Gibson with a teenage friend of ours who had her flute. I understand he could be a real stickler on gigs for musicianship, but he sure didn't seem to be upset about those amateur circumstances, It was a low-key memorable day which, alas, despite promises to return, was never to be repeated.