Welcome to BFT 210

Pim

Ladies and gentlemen: with pride I present you a new BFT :) I tried to keep it as diverse as possible in year, style and country of origin. It's all jazz that I really appreciate in its own right. Hope you enjoy it as well and curious to your reactions. Some of the tracks are long but take your time. We got all month! Thanks!

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - Interesting, though not a must have for me.  Overstays its welcome for me halfway through when the tinkly section begins, followed by the horn freakout.  Very AEC influenced in places, though certainly not them.

2 – I like the pianist and really like the bass, but the drumming gets on my nerves, intensely dislike it, which ruins the cut for me.  Assume it’s a newer guy.

3 – Well, they’ve been studying McCoy Tyner and Woody Shaw/Charles Tolliver, and learning their lessons very well!  Surely I have this one and should know it?  Great stuff.

4 –  Good track, very good alto player.   I have so much stuff like this already, but could make room for this.  Influenced by post-Sidewinder Blue Note recordings.  The pianist shines on this.

5 – Well played but does nothing for me.  Very ECMish.  The high bass playing in unison with the piano gets on my nerves.  Sounds like the crowd liked it.

6 – Sounds like a Weather Report cut with a trumpet added.   Good stuff.  Like the bass.  Sounds familiar, also suspect and hope I have this one.  Seems like this should be a late 60’s Miles tune.

7 – I actually know (and love!) this, the title track to this one:  This cut would not look good to me on paper, but sure sounds great to my ears.  All those different instruments just work together.  The arranging, of course, is brilliant, to pull it off so well.   Wonderful cut.  The leader is one of the most woefully underrated pianists.  And the bass is also pretty great.  Very inspired choice!  Great album.

8 – There’s a lot to like about this cut, but it’s sort of all over the place.  Right about the time I’m ready to settle in, it suddenly transforms into and out of “Camptown Races”.  Very high energy, I’m sure they had a great time playing it, and it’s definitely a bracing listen.  But not something I’m going to seek out.

9 – Now that’s an interesting cut.  Had my doubts about being able to stick with it early on, but glad I did.  Expect this one originated outside of the USA.  I do look forward to finding out what it is.

10 – really like this one, suspect (and hope) I have it on my shelves somewhere and should recognize it.   The horn voicings on the arrangement are nice.

11 – Very pretty, but not really compelling to me. 

12 – Very gypys-ish, and I assume of Eastern European origin.  Really good for what it is, though not something I would consciously select.  Fabulous violinist.

13 – Rollicking version of “What is this thing Called Love”.  Good stuff.

14 – Love this one, gotta have it (within reason)!  Bass player really has my ear.

An ideal BFT cut for me is one where I say “I don’t know what that is, but I need to own it!” and that is the case with an inordinate number of the selections here (3,4,6,9,10,14).  I've always noticed that we have compatible tastes in the music!  Thanks so much.  And thanks for drawing attention to that great pianist on #7.

Edited by felser

13 hours ago, felser said:

1 - Interesting, though not a must have for me.  Overstays its welcome for me halfway through when the tinkly section begins, followed by the horn freakout.  Very AEC influenced in places, though certainly not them.

Not AEC but I can definitely see what you mean. In theme's and stuff they show similarities.

2 – I like the pianist and really like the bass, but the drumming gets on my nerves, intensely dislike it, which ruins the cut for me.  Assume it’s a newer guy.

Youre right about that! He's a young talent. I like it but he is a busy guy indeed. 

3 – Well, they’ve been studying McCoy Tyner and Woody Shaw/Charles Tolliver, and learning their lessons very well!  Surely I have this one and should know it?  Great stuff.

Oh yes it's defintely up that alley. I love those guys and for that reason I love this guy. 

4 –  Good track, very good alto player.   I have so much stuff like this already, but could make room for this.  Influenced by post-Sidewinder Blue Note recordings.  The pianist shines on this.

I had a feeling you would like it.

5 – Well played but does nothing for me.  Very ECMish.  The high bass playing in unison with the piano gets on my nerves.  Sounds like the crowd liked it.

Not ECM but I can see what you mean. 

6 – Sounds like a Weather Report cut with a trumpet added.   Good stuff.  Like the bass.  Sounds familiar, also suspect and hope I have this one.  Seems like this should be a late 60’s Miles tune.

Not a Miles tune but influenced by his fusion style. I'm sure some of the players are among your favorites.

7 – I actually know (and love!) this, the title track to this one:  This cut would not look good to me on paper, but sure sounds great to my ears.  All those different instruments just work together.  The arranging, of course, is brilliant, to pull it off so well.   Wonderful cut.  The leader is one of the most woefully underrated pianists.  And the bass is also pretty great.  Very inspired choice!  Great album.

Ding ding! That is indeed the title song from Joe Bonner's 'Impressions of Copenhagen'. Got the recent Pure Pleasure reissue. It has a unique sound that I very much like. 

8 – There’s a lot to like about this cut, but it’s sort of all over the place.  Right about the time I’m ready to settle in, it suddenly transforms into and out of “Camptown Races”.  Very high energy, I’m sure they had a great time playing it, and it’s definitely a bracing listen.  But not something I’m going to seek out.

9 – Now that’s an interesting cut.  Had my doubts about being able to stick with it early on, but glad I did.  Expect this one originated outside of the USA.  I do look forward to finding out what it is.

Yeah this is what I meant with 'long tracks'. The intro is a little long but I hope everyone keeps listening as it gets better and better to the end. It is largely non American but there is one American playing here!

10 – really like this one, suspect (and hope) I have it on my shelves somewhere and should recognize it.   The horn voicings on the arrangement are nice.

Pretty sure you have it somewhere ;) The players are all among your favs i think.

11 – Very pretty, but not really compelling to me. 

12 – Very gypys-ish, and I assume of Eastern European origin.  Really good for what it is, though not something I would consciously select.  Fabulous violinist.

Not necisarrly Gypsy-ish but influenced by that for it is that other musical style that shows lots of similarities with it.

13 – Rollicking version of “What is this thing Called Love”.  Good stuff.

Track title right! Was id'd before.

14 – Love this one, gotta have it (within reason)!  Bass player really has my ear.

I love it too. The bass player isnt going to surprise you I think!

An ideal BFT cut for me is one where I say “I don’t know what that is, but I need to own it!” and that is the case with an inordinate number of the selections here (3,4,6,9,10,14).  I've always noticed that we have compatible tastes in the music!  Thanks so much.  And thanks for drawing attention to that great pianist on #7.

Thanks Felser, that is great to hear! I have noticed that similarity in taste as well. Hope I can make you add some jazz to youre wantlist ;) 

Edited by Pim

1. This music is often exotic and gets pretty out at times.  I like how it goes through different tempos and moods.  Could it be Don Cherry?  I know one of his records used vibes—Karl Berger, I think. But this sounds like a bigger group, plus I think the tracks on the Cherry record are side-long.

2. Decent little groove number. I like the bass and drums.  But no idea.  

3. That sounds lot like McCoy Tyner; it certainly has a Tyner groove and the style is his, though it could be someone basically playing in his style.  The trumpeter sounds like Hubbard, or someone indebted to  him.  I’ve heard just about all of Tyner’s records, and this piece does not sound familiar, but it is certainly enjoyable.

4. Fine little piece with some intense solos by the saxes—the tenor is definitely Booker Ervin.  Nice piano as well, and strong bass solo—makes me think of Ron Carter, though it’s probably not him.

down.....

7. I like the mellow atmosphere and (to my ears) the somewhat oriental flavor.  The pianist again reminds me of Tyner, but of course his influence has been quite broad.

Edited by Milestones

I'm behind the tech curve, but have finally figured out I can play these BFTs on my phone and connect to a bluetooth speaker. Much better listening than on the laptop speakers. Not that it'll help my guessing at all mind you...anyway: 

1 - At first I was thinking Pharoah Sanders but then Kahil El'Zabar Ritual Trio...or maybe both, but the trumpet is throwing me off. Great song. I like how it develops. 

2 -  Another good song. Great groove. Piano player in the Tyner mold but it's not McCoy I don't think. No guesses.

3 - I want to guess Tolliver here but again, I don't think it's him after the song progresses. Kind of sounds like Cowell on keys though. 

4 - Heavy R&B vibes to this track. Fathead maybe?

5 - Nice trio song. Is this Mal? 

6 - Sounds like post-Filles Miles, or a band that was heavily influenced by that era of MD. 

7 - Is that a Moon River quote within the first minute? Well, they kind of keep that motif going so maybe this is a version of that standard...no guesses though. 

8 -  Great musicianship but this song is way too stressed out for me. Setting me on edge...

9 - Hearing maybe Eberhard Weber, Ranier Bruninghaus and maybe Gabarek too...no idea though. Song is good but is a bit overlong 

10 - Liebman or Lovano on soprano? I dig the melody on this song. Enjoyable tune. 

11 - The band is making it beautiful but this isn't something I enjoyed too much. The violin here is not my thing and it's a showcase for them. 

12 - Another violin showcase. Good melody and I dig the accordian/bandoneon. In which case is this Dino Saluzzi? 

13 - Sounds Blue Note-ish, but maybe something more recent recorded in that vein? I was thinking of guessing Sam Rivers on sax, but while this player has speed, they may be a little more inside than Rivers...so no real guesses here. 

14 - I dig the aggressive trombone sound here. No guesses, but good playing overall. 

1.  Feels like Shepp, and could easily be Dave Burrell on piano. Who would be on vibes if it is?
2.  Could be Kenny Barron.
3.  Woody Shaw
4.  The tenor sounds like Booker Ervin
5.  I hear Jarrett in there, but between the bass player and the absence of vocalizations, I'm certain it isn't.  So, Brad Mehldau?
6.  Miles influenced electric music, but not Miles.  Herbie Hancock, Eddie Henderson and Wallace Roney are possibilities.  I'll go with Eddie Henderson.
7.  Familiar composition, makes me think I know a Woody Shaw version, but this isn't Woody
8.  Marilyn Crispell or Myra Melford with a fiddle?
9.  Starts with an Indian sounding drone.  The Indian feel is present throughout, but doesn't predominate later in the composition.  Notable lack of ego in the playing, it's all about blend and flow.  Really good, but I don't have any idea who.
10. Very much influenced by McCoy Tyner compositionally.
11. I really think that's a viola.  Doesn't fit stylistically very well with either of the names that jumped to mind, Mark Feldman or Harry Lookofsky.
12. Accordion and stringed instrument.  Astor Piazzola?
13. Sonny Rollins
14. Do we have Shepp bookends on this BFT?  He had a trombone in the band for a lot of late 70's stuff.

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

1. This music is often exotic and gets pretty out at times.  I like how it goes through different tempos and moods.  Could it be Don Cherry?  I know one of his records used vibes—Karl Berger, I think. But this sounds like a bigger group, plus I think the tracks on the Cherry record are side-long.

It’s not Don but shares indeed some influences.

2. Decent little groove number. I like the bass and drums.  But no idea.  

3. That sounds lot like McCoy Tyner; it certainly has a Tyner groove and the style is his, though it could be someone basically playing in his style.  The trumpeter sounds like Hubbard, or someone indebted to  him.  I’ve heard just about all of Tyner’s records, and this piece does not sound familiar, but it is certainly enjoyable.

Pianist is definitely heavily influenced by McCoy. Trumpeter is not Freddie but was definitely influenced by him. 

4. Fine little piece with some intense solos by the saxes—the tenor is definitely Booker Ervin.  Nice piano as well, and strong bass solo—makes me think of Ron Carter, though it’s probably not him.

Booker Ervin is correct but it’s not his date. Bassist is not Carter

7. I like the mellow atmosphere and (to my ears) the somewhat oriental flavor.  The pianist again reminds me of Tyner, but of course his influence has been quite broad.

tyner was definitely an influence here.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm behind the tech curve, but have finally figured out I can play these BFTs on my phone and connect to a bluetooth speaker. Much better listening than on the laptop speakers. Not that it'll help my guessing at all mind you...anyway: 

1 - At first I was thinking Pharoah Sanders but then Kahil El'Zabar Ritual Trio...or maybe both, but the trumpet is throwing me off. Great song. I like how it develops. 

2 -  Another good song. Great groove. Piano player in the Tyner mold but it's not McCoy I don't think. No guesses.

It’s not McCoy but he was definitely his biggest influence.

3 - I want to guess Tolliver here but again, I don't think it's him after the song progresses. Kind of sounds like Cowell on keys though. 

I can definitely see why you think of Tolliver and Cowell. Both the trumpeter as the pianist show similarities in style.

4 - Heavy R&B vibes to this track. Fathead maybe?

its not Newman.

5 - Nice trio song. Is this Mal? 

Its not Mal. Funny you think of him! I don’t hear a lot of similarities.

6 - Sounds like post-Filles Miles, or a band that was heavily influenced by that era of MD. 

7 - Is that a Moon River quote within the first minute? Well, they kind of keep that motif going so maybe this is a version of that standard...no guesses though. 

it’s not Moon River but an original. Song and artist were identified by Felser.

8 -  Great musicianship but this song is way too stressed out for me. Setting me on edge...

9 - Hearing maybe Eberhard Weber, Ranier Bruninghaus and maybe Gabarek too...no idea though. Song is good but is a bit overlong 

Nah it’s not. No Garbarek for me sir.

10 - Liebman or Lovano on soprano? I dig the melody on this song. Enjoyable tune. 

neither of them. I can see why you think of them 

11 - The band is making it beautiful but this isn't something I enjoyed too much. The violin here is not my thing and it's a showcase for them. 

12 - Another violin showcase. Good melody and I dig the accordian/bandoneon. In which case is this Dino Saluzzi? 

No Dino Saluzzi here. Music isn’t really tango music.

13 - Sounds Blue Note-ish, but maybe something more recent recorded in that vein? I was thinking of guessing Sam Rivers on sax, but while this player has speed, they may be a little more inside than Rivers...so no real guesses here. 

its not Sam. Alto player here. I don’t think Sam Rivers played a lot of alto or did he? It’s definitely boppish but no blue note ;)

14 - I dig the aggressive trombone sound here. No guesses, but good playing overall. 

2 hours ago, felser said:

Based on clue from JSngry, #6 is the second cut from this.  Great album.

Ding ding number 2!

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

1.  Feels like Shepp, and could easily be Dave Burrell on piano. Who would be on vibes if it is?

its not Shepp.
2.  Could be Kenny Barron.

It’s not Barron you hear here.
3.  Woody Shaw

It’s not Woody but he was definitely influenced by Woody!
4.  The tenor sounds like Booker Ervin

Correct sir! But it’s not his date.
5.  I hear Jarrett in there, but between the bass player and the absence of vocalizations, I'm certain it isn't.  So, Brad Mehldau?

oh he’s definitely in that Evans/Jarrett alley. It’s not Brad Mehldau.

6.  Miles influenced electric music, but not Miles.  Herbie Hancock, Eddie Henderson and Wallace Roney are possibilities.  I'll go with Eddie Henderson.

Eddie is playing on the album but not on this song. This one was identified by Felser with a little help of JSAngry.

7.  Familiar composition, makes me think I know a Woody Shaw version, but this isn't Woody

It’s not Woody indeed and I don’t think Woody has ever played it. But Woody did play with this pianist. Felser identified this one already. 

8.  Marilyn Crispell or Myra Melford with a fiddle?

Nope neither of them.

9.  Starts with an Indian sounding drone.  The Indian feel is present throughout, but doesn't predominate later in the composition.  Notable lack of ego in the playing, it's all about blend and flow.  Really good, but I don't have any idea who.
10. Very much influenced by McCoy Tyner compositionally.

oh yes his spirit is definitely there. 

11. I really think that's a viola.  Doesn't fit stylistically very well with either of the names that jumped to mind, Mark Feldman or Harry Lookofsky.

No, it’s not one of these guys. 

12. Accordion and stringed instrument.  Astor Piazzola?

Secons guess for a tango haha! But this ain’t no tango, it really is a different style. No Piazzola here but I do love Piazzola!

13. Sonny Rollins

its not Newk. Second guess for a tenor  but it really is an alto you hear here. 

14. Do we have Shepp bookends on this BFT?  He had a trombone in the band for a lot of late 70's stuff.

Not Shepp and no Charles Greenlee here sir ;)

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

Svend Asmussen on 11?

No it’s not Svend. Wrong side of the ocean.

Edited by Pim

11 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Nice. Great tune (and added the linked album to the shopping list :tup) but am I the only one hearing that Moon River quote at about 28 - 36 seconds in? 

I never did but now I do! Don’t know if you’re into vinyl but the recent Pure Pleasure issue is lovely.

Edited by Pim

9 hours ago, Pim said:

I never did but now I do! Don’t know if you’re into vinyl but the recent Pure Pleasure issue is lovely.

This is a reason I love BFT's. I wouldn't have been listening to this group as they were completely off my radar before hearing this. Glad PP has done a reissue. They tend to do quality work. 

27 minutes ago, felser said:

3 ID's!  (I identified #'s 4,6,7).  This is a GREAT BFT, I do hope more people join in.  I know Thom and Bill will.

Oops you’re right! Still 12 to go :) JSAngry already had a couple of names right.

I also dare @HutchFan and @mjazzg to call in sick for work, cancel all appointments and participate in this BFT. With our similarities in taste they could probably ID some more.

oh and @Milestones: you only made it halfway ;)

Edited by Pim