Welcome to BFT 210

Pim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so dipping my toe in, not having read the rest of the thread...

Track 1. Great start, anything with vibes gets my attention. I don't recognise this but I'm wondering if it may be Karl Berger.  Or, sounds like one of the Swedish bands like Bengt Berger.  Or is it more contemporary, Angles perhaps, that's sounding more likely as it goes on. I will definitely be following this up come the reveal.

Track 2. No idea, a bit too hyper for me, drummer needs to calm down a bit :)

Track 3. It's a while since I've listened to him so it's probably not Ted Curson but that's my first guess and it is a guess. It's not Hannibal or Tolliver, I hope. Now I'm wondering during the piano solo whether it was Hino on trumpet.

Track 4. Interesting, I like it but don't recognise it at all

Track 5. Is this Petrucciani and Danielsson?

Track 6. This makes me think of the Kenny Cox albums on BN. Did they have el.p.?  I think so, been a while. Or a later Contemporary Jazz Quintet for another label.  It's good.

Track 7. Just lovely, best track for me so far. No idea who it is but I'll be following up on this one. I hope it's not one of your obscure and expensive Japanese purchases @Pim

more later

6 minutes ago, Pim said:

Please just take your time to recover first!

I shall but I have added your BFT to my recovery routine! 

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

OK, so dipping my toe in, not having read the rest of the thread...

Track 1. Great start, anything with vibes gets my attention. I don't recognise this but I'm wondering if it may be Karl Berger.  Or, sounds like one of the Swedish bands like Bengt Berger.  Or is it more contemporary, Angles perhaps, that's sounding more likely as it goes on. I will definitely be following this up come the reveal.

Not Karl Berger but you were not the only one who thought of him. You guessed the artist correct! This is Angles 9 and yup they are from Sweden.

Track 2. No idea, a bit too hyper for me, drummer needs to calm down a bit :)

Track 3. It's a while since I've listened to him so it's probably not Ted Curson but that's my first guess and it is a guess. It's not Hannibal or Tolliver, I hope. Now I'm wondering during the piano solo whether it was Hino on trumpet.

I could definitely feel why you think of Curson. It's not Hannibal nor Tolliver indeed. It's all in that Tolliver/Hino style. Curson has recorded for the same label as the trumpeter here in question.

Track 4. Interesting, I like it but don't recognise it at all

Track 5. Is this Petrucciani and Danielsson?

Yeah this is Michel Petrucciani! But the bassist is an American.

Track 6. This makes me think of the Kenny Cox albums on BN. Did they have el.p.?  I think so, been a while. Or a later Contemporary Jazz Quintet for another label.  It's good.

Song and artist were ID'd. It's not Cox ;) It's Buddy Terry on Mainstream Records.

Track 7. Just lovely, best track for me so far. No idea who it is but I'll be following up on this one. I hope it's not one of your obscure and expensive Japanese purchases

Nice to hear. This song as ID'd and enjoyed before here in the thread. It's Joe Bonner's Impressions of Copenhagen. And fortunately for you the British label Pure Pleasure has recently reissued it on vinyl.

@Pim

more later

I shall but I have added your BFT to my recovery routine! 

That's great to hear!

Track 8. This sits on the cusp of "really interesting" and "a bit too much" for me.  I fear the violin's going to take it into some kind of Mahavishnu region, not somewhere I'm comfortable.  However the piano really grounds it.  I've noticed a lot of very active bass playing throughout the BFT.  It's just gone all "gypsy jazz".  Intrigued but unsure whether I like it or not. I feel I should know the violin and piano players. Leroy Jenkins is my default guess but I don't think so. 

taking a break now

9 minutes ago, Pim said:

Angles 9, a great band. I've enjoyed all the Angles albums over the years but the most recent really hit home for me.

I'm now really intrigued by the trumpet player on track 3. Curson didn't record for too many labels I don't think so I may have to do some research. Marge, maybe?

That Bonner is lovely.  Is the rest of the album similar?

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Track 8. This sits on the cusp of "really interesting" and "a bit too much" for me.  I fear the violin's going to take it into some kind of Mahavishnu region, not somewhere I'm comfortable.  However the piano really grounds it.  I've noticed a lot of very active bass playing throughout the BFT.  It's just gone all "gypsy jazz".  Intrigued but unsure whether I like it or not. I feel I should know the violin and piano players. Leroy Jenkins is my default guess but I don't think so. 

taking a break now

I feel the connection but it's not Leroy Jenkins.

Angles 9, a great band. I've enjoyed all the Angles albums over the years but the most recent really hit home for me.

I'm now really intrigued by the trumpet player on track 3. Curson didn't record for too many labels I don't think so I may have to do some research. Marge, maybe?

That Bonner is lovely.  Is the rest of the album similar?

Yeah I think so. The whole album has this very pleasant, airy feel. Great showcase of Bonner's virtuosic skills. You'd probably want to listen some more samples first ;)

Edited by Pim

Track 9. This is fabulous. Again, like Angles 9 I'm thinking contemporary.  Something like Michael Zerang's recent recordings or more like Maurice Louca's 'Elephantine'.  Who is playing that clarinet solo and who's the oud player? I'm thinking one of them as the leader. I need to own this and if I do already well I'm more unwell than I thought :).  Sensational track, worth the entry fee alone!  Please don't let this be a £££ 70's obscurity.

Track 10. Tapscott or at least the Nimbus West orbit.  Trying to think of mid-sized Tapscott sessions.  Is it the recent Miranda?  I haven't bought that yet, I really should.  Another track right up there.

Track 11. John Blake on Gramavision? It's a very long time since I heard those albums but this has a Gramavison feel to it and I'm struggling to match any other violinists that I know to it. But now I'm hearing some late Bang from around about those Vietnam albums but not convincingly as I don't think of BB sessions with piano.  Very nice if a touch florid in places.

Track 12. Well the easy guess would be Piazzolla.  I only have 'Tango:Hora Zero' and haven't listened to that for ages but it has a similar line up I think but then so do many Tango recordings I guess.

Track 13. I'm hopeless at identifying horn players and if I say this is all a bit too rapid-fire for me I'll inevitably have insulted a board fave or even someone who I have recordings by. Just a bit frenetic for how I'm feeling today perhaps.

Track 14. A really good one to finish with.  I know I should know this and probably should be able to pull it off my shelves. Shepp/Rudd are my first instinct.

Overall this was a great listen, thanks @Pim  I'll be definitely following up on Track 9, the Bonner, Track 10 and maybe the Angles 9 when I discover I don't have that album of theirs. I'll be very interested to see who Tracks 4 & 5 feature. I will kick myself about Track 14.

So now I'm going to read back through the thread so cue the embarrassment and "oh no!" when I see who's identified as who.  I bet felser's had a field day if he's already commented.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Track 9. This is fabulous. Again, like Angles 9 I'm thinking contemporary.  Something like Michael Zerang's recent recordings or more like Maurice Louca's 'Elephantine'.  Who is playing that clarinet solo and who's the oud player? I'm thinking one of them as the leader. I need to own this and if I do already well I'm more unwell than I thought :).  Sensational track, worth the entry fee alone!  Please don't let this be a £££ 70's obscurity.

It’s not! This is widely available and was recorded in this century. It’s not Zerang but the drummer is the only American present here. 

Track 10. Tapscott or at least the Nimbus West orbit.  Trying to think of mid-sized Tapscott sessions.  Is it the recent Miranda?  I haven't bought that yet, I really should.  Another track right up there.

Its not Tapscott. In fact: I don’t think any of the guys present here have played with him. Interesting link you draw there. Never listened to it that way but it does not sound crazy at all.

Track 11. John Blake on Gramavision? It's a very long time since I heard those albums but this has a Gramavison feel to it and I'm struggling to match any other violinists that I know to it. But now I'm hearing some late Bang from around about those Vietnam albums but not convincingly as I don't think of BB sessions with piano.  Very nice if a touch florid in places.

No John Blake but yes, this is Billy Bang ding ding! There is a pianist present on those records and his name is John Hicks :)

Track 12. Well the easy guess would be Piazzolla.  I only have 'Tango:Hora Zero' and haven't listened to that for ages but it has a similar line up I think but then so do many Tango recordings I guess.

Haha another one thinking of tango. Really this is more Klezmer than tango. So no Piazzolla. I love Astor by the way. 

Track 13. I'm hopeless at identifying horn players and if I say this is all a bit too rapid-fire for me I'll inevitably have insulted a board fave or even someone who I have recordings by. Just a bit frenetic for how I'm feeling today perhaps.

Track 14. A really good one to finish with.  I know I should know this and probably should be able to pull it off my shelves. Shepp/Rudd are my first instinct.

Nope none of them ;) 

Overall this was a great listen, thanks @Pim  I'll be definitely following up on Track 9, the Bonner, Track 10 and maybe the Angles 9 when I discover I don't have that album of theirs. I'll be very interested to see who Tracks 4 & 5 feature. I will kick myself about Track 14.

So now I'm going to read back through the thread so cue the embarrassment and "oh no!" when I see who's identified as who.  I bet felser's had a field day if he's already commented.

Thanks for participating! I knew you would be able to identify some of them :)

30 minutes ago, Pim said:

Thanks for participating! I knew you would be able to identify some of them :)

Participating's the fun part, you did all the hard work! 

I have the Kloss!! Klezmer not tango, hmm...  Guy Klucevsek maybe? With Mark Feldman

Tracks 9 & 14 are really bugging me now :)

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Participating's the fun part, you did all the hard work! 

I have the Kloss!! Klezmer not tango, hmm...  Guy Klucevsek maybe? With Mark Feldman

Tracks 9 & 14 are really bugging me now :)

No but there is some link with Mark Feldman ;)

Eight:  After a nice bass opening, this one gets rather wild.  The pianist sounds a bit like Don Pullen, but I’m not really drawn into his (or her) work...seems too mechanical.

Nine:  Pretty interesting, but very long.  I think it has elements of Coltrane and Lateef, though I believe you said the personnel is mostly non-American. No idea.

Ten:  Decent piece with the soprano reminding me of Trane.  Actually there may be two soprano sax players here.  Even the drums sound like Elvin, in one of his styles.  No idea.

Eleven:   I want to say this is Regina Carter, which I believe I guessed somewhere before.

Twelve: Exotic stuff, and there are certainly Dave Douglas records with this instrumentation (or something similar). I don’t hear a trumpet, so no idea.

Thirteen:  Kenny Garret playing “What is this Thing” (Standard of Language).  I enjoy his impassioned work.

Fourteen:  Nice inside/outside track.  The approach reminds me of David Murray, though the tenor is certainly not him and not as distinctive.  

Overall, this is a consistently interesting BFT....and a tough one!

Edited by Milestones

8 hours ago, Milestones said:

Eight:  After a nice bass opening, this one gets rather wild.  The pianist sounds a bit like Don Pullen, but I’m not really drawn into his (or her) work...seems too mechanical.

Nine:  Pretty interesting, but very long.  I think it has elements of Coltrane and Lateef, though I believe you said the personnel is mostly non-American. No idea.

Ten:  Decent piece with the soprano reminding me of Trane.  Actually there may be two soprano sax players here.  Even the drums sound like Elvin, in one of his styles.  No idea.

It's one and he is definitely influenced by Coltrane. 

Eleven:   I want to say this is Regina Carter, which I believe I guessed somewhere before.

It's not. Artist was was ID't by mjazzg: It's Billy Bang. 

Twelve: Exotic stuff, and there are certainly Dave Douglas records with this instrumentation (or something similar). I don’t hear a trumpet, so no idea.

Dave Douglas definitely plays in that style so I could see what you mean but indeed this is all strings.

Thirteen:  Kenny Garret playing “What is this Thing” (Standard of Language).  I enjoy his impassioned work.

Ding ding! All correct. A full ID :)

Fourteen:  Nice inside/outside track.  The approach reminds me of David Murray, though the tenor is certainly not him and not as distinctive.  

Overall, this is a consistently interesting BFT....and a tough one!

On 9/8/2021 at 5:58 AM, Pim said:

I could definitely feel why you think of Curson. It's not Hannibal nor Tolliver indeed. It's all in that Tolliver/Hino style. Curson has recorded for the same label as the trumpeter here in question.

Charles Sullivan?

12 hours ago, Pim said:

Yeah, thats a full ID! It's indeed Charles Sullivan with Kenny Barron on piano, Buster Williams on bass and Billy Hart on drums :)

Great cut.  Sullivan always brings the goods on his albums.  Surprised he hasn't been more high profile or prolifically recorded.  Love his Strata-East and this one, and the Arabesque is really good.

13 hours ago, Milestones said:

Not familiar at all with Sullivan.  It seems that he has indeed recorded very little.

Yeah he never got much attention but as Felser stated: his own records are all highly recommended especially the Strata East. In his appearances as a sideman with Sonny Fortune for example, he is also great.

I thought I'd try myself at guessing as I want to join in again in a few months ....

Track 1 - reminds me of the stuff Don Cherry did with Balinese influences, but this track is not from any of the albums I have heard. There a re not many jazz musicina using Balinese patterns.

Track 2 - seems to shift between 5 beat and 6 beat fast patterns - a bit too muddy for my taste.

Track 3 - some post Freddie Hubbard - post Woody Shaw trumpeter. They sure got plenty of energy.

Track 4 - I notice I do not listen to that kind of jazz anymore. So I don't recognize any players, and their energy tires me a bit, but thtat's me, they all are very good players.

Track 5 - Sounds kind of European to me, reminds me of thw things some Bill Evans disciple would write. 

Track 6 - The trumpeter reminds me of Eddie Henderson in the early 1970's. Hubbard influence but a different style Nice how the cuica player interacts with him. The tenor shows Joe Henderson influences. I really wnat to know who they are. But I hate that bass pickup sound. Interesting use of percussiion.

Track 7 - Oooh! That track sounds like the sun is breaking through the clouds! Piano and harp sounding almost like Kora chords.  Beautiful. The horns are voiced perfectly for this. The pianist almost spoils it with his McCoy Tynerish runs. I wanna know who this is! My favourite track so far.

Track 8 - Another dreaded bass pickup. No real bottom. Today's pickups a miuch better. More Tynersih piano,.After the violinist joins in it gets a liitle Balkanes. I ask myself If I ever had that feverish energy as a young musician. Many musicians in this BFT so far play like men posessed. That fadeout ending is strange, as if they didn't know how to end th piece.

Track 9 - Indian style drones and string improvisation. Finally a calmer piece in a series of charged performances. Well, it morphs from somethings like McLaughlin di on My Goals Beyond into a  Pharoah Sanders style collective improvisation. Again I'm curious who this is.

Track 10 - This doesn't say anyting to me. Maybe I'm only a bit tired after so much fiery music.

Track 11 - Who is this? Very nice. Richie Beirach and Gregor Hübner?

More tomorrow. I need to go to bed ..... 

On 11-9-2021 at 1:35 AM, mikeweil said:

I thought I'd try myself at guessing as I want to join in again in a few months ....

Track 1 - reminds me of the stuff Don Cherry did with Balinese influences, but this track is not from any of the albums I have heard. There a re not many jazz musicina using Balinese patterns.

You’re not the first one who mentions Don Cherry. He was definitely an influence. Band was ID’d by mjazzg

Track 2 - seems to shift between 5 beat and 6 beat fast patterns - a bit too muddy for my taste.

Not ID’d yet. Most of the users don’t like it. I thought most would. 

Track 3 - some post Freddie Hubbard - post Woody Shaw trumpeter. They sure got plenty of energy.

Yeah he was influenced by those guys. Artist and song ID’d by randyhersom

Track 4 - I notice I do not listen to that kind of jazz anymore. So I don't recognize any players, and their energy tires me a bit, but thtat's me, they all are very good players.

Was ID’d by Felser

Track 5 - Sounds kind of European to me, reminds me of thw things some Bill Evans disciple would write. 

Yes he is from Europe and yes Bill Evans is probably his biggest influence. Artist was ID’d by mjazzg. 

Track 6 - The trumpeter reminds me of Eddie Henderson in the early 1970's. Hubbard influence but a different style Nice how the cuica player interacts with him. The tenor shows Joe Henderson influences. I really wnat to know who they are. But I hate that bass pickup sound. Interesting use of percussiion.

Eddie is on the album but here it’s Woody Shaw who is playing. Tenor player is Buddy Terry. It’s his date. Both album and artist ID’d by Felser.

Track 7 - Oooh! That track sounds like the sun is breaking through the clouds! Piano and harp sounding almost like Kora chords.  Beautiful. The horns are voiced perfectly for this. The pianist almost spoils it with his McCoy Tynerish runs. I wanna know who this is! My favourite track so far.

funny: this one is everyone’s favorite up till now. I was really wondering how people would respond to it. Felser ID’d it: it’s Joe Bonner. He ID’d the song and album as well.

Track 8 - Another dreaded bass pickup. No real bottom. Today's pickups a miuch better. More Tynersih piano,.After the violinist joins in it gets a liitle Balkanes. I ask myself If I ever had that feverish energy as a young musician. Many musicians in this BFT so far play like men posessed. That fadeout ending is strange, as if they didn't know how to end th piece.

You really here McCoy there? Funny I never heard it that way. You might have a hard time with my BFT as I love McCoy and most of his ‘disciples’. The Balkan influence is right. This music is from not so far away from that place in Central Europe. I like ‘possessed’ music btw. Not a lot of ‘easy’ music in my BFT. This ones not ID’d yet.

Track 9 - Indian style drones and string improvisation. Finally a calmer piece in a series of charged performances. Well, it morphs from somethings like McLaughlin di on My Goals Beyond into a  Pharoah Sanders style collective improvisation. Again I'm curious who this is.

have you listened it all through? It doesn’t stay calm ;) Song and artist remain unidentified

Track 10 - This doesn't say anyting to me. Maybe I'm only a bit tired after so much fiery music.

Well, thankfully taste differs from person to person. Maybe try again with fresh ears? Most listeners liked this one. I’m sure you like the individual players present here. Unidentified yet.

Track 11 - Who is this? Very nice. Richie Beirach and Gregor Hübner?

Its not. Mjazzg ID’d the artist and to a large extent the album. It’s Billy Bang.

More tomorrow. I need to go to bed ..... 

Thanks Mike! Curious to your other experiences :)

Track 01 - Loving that tenor sound right off the bat.  Gut instinct says it’s Reverend Frank.  Has an edge of David S. Ware (speaking in terms of technique, here). Digging this tune.  OOoooo!  A full band!  Tim, sounds like Traveler of Tomorrow a bit, no?  Man, I love the in-the-tradition stuff (listening and playing) but THIS, man… this is where it’s at for me.  Too structured for Reverend Frank.  Thinking someone out of Bowie’s neighborhood.  Has the drive of some of Johnny Dyani’s stuff, but I believe this to be a little later.  Not entirely certain what this is.  I AM certain I don’t have it, and I WILL need it.

Track 02 - Not enamored of that snare sound.  Vijay Iyer comes to mind, but I don’t think it’s him.  I like it, but it tends toward busy structure.  Drummer needs some decaf.  Love the bass, but wish it was more out front.  Ah, there we go.  Could be a Holland project (loving bass, finding frustration in the music).  I’d probably like this more live or if it were recorded earlier.  Those drums reek of an overzealous engineer itching to prove how much he knows about Munson curves.  Split decision.  Like the idea better than the execution.  Love the bassist.

Track 03 - Early feel has that heavy McCoy influence.  Then it felt like a Woody Shaw date from the early 80s.  Trumpet is more towards Freddie to my ear.  I like this.  Not sure how unique it is, but it sure is done well.  Has enough fire to be real.  I need to know these guys.  It’s too close.  Man, that sure sounds like Avery Sharpe’s bass to me.  Not McCoy, but owes him lunch for a year, at least.  This is pretty bad ass.  Again, don’t have it, need it.  Feel like I’ve got big holes in my collection because I was a Hank Mobley snob when this stuff came out (guessing mid-80s).  Still don’t think it’s McCoy, but it is SPOT on.  Maybe Al Foster on drums?  Seems a bit tighter, but the general feel and touch is right.  7:35, that piano line!  Not Avery.  Really sounds like Ron Carter about 8:05.  Gotta be Ron.  Man!  This is a bitch!  Why do I NOT have this?  Not Al.  Almost sounds like Tony Williams in the 4s section.  Man, this is WICKED!  It’s not Hannibal, but has that feel.  MORE!!!!

Track 04 - Alright… who’s mellow mixed with Sonny Fortune?  Wait, no mistaking Booker Ervin.  Not going to lie, had to sleuth the hell out of this.  I knew it was Jaki.  SHOCKED that that’s Alan Dawson!  It’s Track 3 from this.  Don’t own it.  WILL fix that.

Track 05 - Of course recognize the song… but a title?  Nope.  Chick Corea tune, right?  This works, across the board.  Oh!  Wait!  No, Kenny Wheeler. ‘Smatter?  Wait… GAH!  WHAT IS THIS!?  Aw, man… sure hope somebody nails the title or I’m not sleeping until September 30!  Fourth listen — I’m going to say Roy Haynes is the drummer.  I know that bassist, but I don’t have him.  Pianist could be many guys.  I’m starting to think this is an “original” taking from all the sources I guessed above (hell, we ALL do that).  

Track 06 - Okay, yup… recognition, but no name for the track.  iTunes has ruined me.  Obviously not the original.  Recognize the tenor, not Wayne.  Pre-conservatory guy, but not quite the facility of Wayne.  I know that sound.  HOLY!  Took some sleuthing, but I found it.  Mainstream!  My mind took me to a Miles tune.  Man… couldn’t BE more wrong.  Side 1, Track 2 from this.

Track 07 - Man, I like this.  The Brass Company meets John Handy!  With a touch of who-knows-what mixed in.  That left hand.  Is this possibly an early John Hicks date?  I don’t know of anything that early.  Oh, wait.  No, that’s Joe Bonner.  Beautiful tune.  Feel like I know it, but again, I probably don’t.  This test is going to cost me money.

Track 08 - Wanted to like this, but it seems to devolve into an angry Eastern European frenzy.  Was leaning towards Cecil, but then it got silly.  Loved the opening bass work, but I got lost thereafter.

Track 09 - Electric cello?  Has a very call-to-prayer feel.  11/4?  Like the feel once it gets into it, for sure.  No idea what it is.  Part Threadgill, part KVM, part Masada.  Like if Barney McAll wrote for the Little Huey Orchestra.  I’m in.  Not sure how you categorize this, but I sure would love to be there as it’s happening. Runs long when the guitar starts in, but that’s probably my snobbery as much as anything.  I’m intrigued.  Definitely music to be witnessed more than heard.  

Track 10 - Stafford James, without a doubt.  Oh.  Side 2, track 1 from this.  Had a chance to see LH a few years back, but my damned cousin got married the same night.  From all reports, I missed an event.

Track 11 - Bang!  Track 5 from this.  I didn’t miss Bang.  He played as part of the Waterville, Maine film festival.  A friend helped organize it and steered the them towards Vietnam in large part to bring Billy in to perform.  It was epic.  One of the most compelling musicians I’ve ever watched perform.  The dude was as real as it gets.  Frank Lowe and Ahmed Abdullah were with him.  Mike Carvin, too.  REALLY miss this guy.  This is the “sequel” album.  Between the two, to my ear, there’s not a lost moment.

Track 12 - I respect the musicianship, but this just misses for me.  It’s close, I mean it’s right there.  A former student used to tell me, “Keith, you know Klezmer started as a defense.”  Made me laugh every time.  Man, I’m KIND of in (it really is RIGHT there… I just miss hearing the individual in this).

Track 13 - I was half way to asking, “What in the f—?”  Obviously a very busy version of What Is This Thing Called Love (and not sure one I needed).  Okay, that’s Kenny Garrett being Kenny Garrett.  He sort of suffers from James Carter disease.  Just *play*, man!  No getting around his ability, but two minutes in, I have serious listener fatigue (again, engineer’s syndrome).  I just don’t hear the love in this music.

Track 14 - No doubt.  Reggie.  Opener from this.  This album always gets lost in the shuffle.  I know I’m a broken record, here, but to my ear, it’s because of the way it’s recorded.  If this had been recorded 20 years earlier, there would be some breathing room in the sound.  There are some great moments on this, but I’d really like to kick the engineer in the shin. 

Man, there was a LOT to like in this test.  Didn't realize how long it was until I finished, but lots of smiles for my ears.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:54 AM, JSngry said:

I'll be back with detailed responses, but on first listen, I heard Erick Kloss/Booker Ervin, Kenny Garrett, Sam Rivers, and, I think, Buddy Terry?

This friggin' guy!  :D  MAN you have ears!