Ray Charles - True Genius (Tangerine)

mjzee

Release date September 10:

617mlqO2esS._SL1200_.jpg

Six CDs. Every Ray Charles album post-1960 is represented here, along with singles not available on any of his previously released albums. Released on Ray Charles own Tangerine Records and remastered from the original masters, you can now stream all of your favorite hits. The True Genius box set consists of 6 discs including a never before released live concert from Stockholm in 1972. A beautifully designed, coffee table style book includes rare, unseen photos and other Charles memorabilia. The liner notes were written by Quincy Jones, Valerie Ervin and A. Scott Galloway.

Track list here: https://raycharlesstore.com/pages/track-listings

So are these complete albums plus singles and other bonus tracks?

Well, this review by Joe Marchese tells me it's just a selection of album tracks. https://theseconddisc.com/2021/06/18/do-i-ever-cross-your-mind-ray-charles-post-atlantic-recordings-explored-on-true-genius-box-set/

"Every post-1960 album" includes some Atlantic albums too!

If 1976 was the year of BRIAN IS BACK, then 1977 was the YEAR OF RAY IS BACK, and it was on Atlantic (and SNL!, in a considerably more impactful set of performances than Brian's).

For those who've not collected this stuff one way or another, this will be a good set. A lot of uneven ABC records seem to have been distilled down (in a few cases, maybe a bit much) to what might be considered an "essential" set for the non-OCD fan.

7 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Ray made some odd choices when he got hold of the reigns.  But that's part of what makes it interesting.

Yes, you're right about the odd choices. But I can't see that it's interesting unless you've got a complete bunch of stuff, rather than someone else's decisions.

I haven't got a complete ABC/Tangerine album collection but maybe I shall have one day. THAT would be interesting... but to me it's not worth spending big bucks on finding out.

MG