Good Jazz Albums from 1979?

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4.9.2021 at 2:50 AM, JSngry said:

Oh wow... the comments here  talk a bout "Robbie Vincent" playing this when it first came out. I have no idea who Robbie Vincent is/was, but apparently a very popular/inluential UK DJ who aimed at a dancing crowd. So that explains the UK 12" single for the discos!

All we got over here was ansgst-y prematurely dead white critics moaning about "Sonny ain't what he used to be", and over there people be DANCING to this record.

It's true what they say, right? That dancing keeps you young?

Sonny's younger than I'll ever be.

If my perfect pitch is still intact: Isn´t the disco part of Disco Monk in G-flat, and the slower "Monkish ballad" part in D-natural ? Both keys not often played in "jazz" ? 
If I think spontanously, the only D-natural tune that comes to my ear and I play sometimes, is "Thou Swell".....

• 2 weeks later...

I already mentioned this, but didn´t have the time to listen to it until Monday and Tuesday (after I got it as a present from my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary).

What can I say ? 

It´s the best VSOP stuff I ever heard.

And I love that VSOP, in my opinion it can be compared with "Massey Hall 1953" since it also is an absolute top gathering of the very best musicians of the acoustic era from the mid sixties on. To have Freddie, Wayne, Herbie, Ron and Tony together in a group and to witness this when they toured, was some of the greatest musical experiences in my live. Each of them my absolute favourites of that style. 

When it started 1976,77 I was still at high school and the jazz fans in my school (there was lot of them) discussed it and we changed experiences and albums (I was the first to purchase "Tempest in the Coloseum"). 

Highly recommended !!!!

Herunterladen (3).jpg