Completists and Recovering Completists

BeBop

I'm a recovering completist. (Heck, I don't buy anything anymore. Well, two or three CDs a year; none so far this year.)

I thought this thread might be useful to:

:g Two Stan Kenton completists looking to swap duplicates

:w Completists in need of a place to confess

:party: Recovering completists to heave deep sighs of relief

:tup Successful completists to gloat (are there any?)

:angry: Completists to argue about the term "complete" Does this include performances where participation is only rumored? Where no solos are taken by the principal? Bootleg and concert performances? All recordings in all formats, or just one of each song or all takes of each song?

My vice was Wardell Gray. I got pretty close to having all issued recordings (one version of each was enough). Then gave it up.

A few years ago, I found I was spending much more time looking for and buying jazz than listening to it.

It really lost its joy for me.

I found that (for me), being a completist was like chasing joy. Always chasing, but never catching it.

Now I just want to get into an album and live with it for awhile. No need to get every cd I can. Hell, they'll probably reissue it, in a better sounding version in the future, anyway.

It's also sad for me. I've run out of space for my music, so now I can't access have of it anyway. It's in boxes.

Edited by AfricaBrass

I believe it's good to have a hobby, a genuine interest. My interest is learning about, listening to, and collecting jazz music. The music is genuine and real to me.

I can enjoy it whether I'm young or old. I can enjoy it by myself or with somebody else. I can discuss the music, write about it, buy it, sell it, listen to it, and enjoy the anticipation of finally finding something I didn't already have. I've made new friends because of my interest in the music. I'm gaining some knowledge of the history of American culture to boot.

I don't believe CD collecting is as expensive as various other hobbies. I have a friend who would spend thousands of dollars on a single camera lens (he was into photography). Another friend would spend thousands of dollars on car parts (he was into old cars)... and on and on.

Storage can be a problem but, a single CD isn't that big. A single CD takes up less space than a paperback novel, for example.

It's good for my mind to have my interest in jazz and collecting the CDs. Good vibes for the mind, in a manner that is not destructive (such as enjoying art), seems more beneficial, over a lifetime, than the off-setting costs in dollars and space.

I'm not necessarily concerned about being a completist. I am, however, concerned (at times, consumed!) with the on-going search and enjoyment of the music, the history, the friendship, the discussion, and the art form.

Edited by wesbed

I keep pursuing! There is hardly an end to any of it. I don't necessarily view myself as a completist. . . I'm certainly not an "object worshipper" type of completist, you know, have to have the JRVGs with obi in the original plastic slipcover all displayed in a nice little box or case. I want the music in the best sound I don't care how it looks. I'm buying and selling all the time. It's sort of a way of making my life busier than it would have been otherwise, I need that. As wesbed says: it's exciting, it's educational, it's not harmful.

I HAVE actually been scaling back in purchases for fiscal reasons, and fitting rather fidgetily into that new situation. And I have been finding new stuff. . . I mean more Monk, more Miles, more of the music of the folk that I hit a brick wall on at some point . . . it's as if there is never an end, so to be a completist is an impossible thing. . . . I don't feel as if I'm a completist so much as I am always seeking the new music out there of my favorites, and always finding new favorites. . . . In that respect, life is good.

A few years ago, I found I was spending much more time looking for and buying jazz than listening to it.

It really lost its joy for me.

I found that (for me), being a completist was like chasing joy. Always chasing, but never catching it.

Now I just want to get into an album and live with it for awhile. No need to get every cd I can. Hell, they'll probably reissue it, in a better sounding version in the future, anyway.

It's also sad for me. I've run out of space for my music, so now I can't access have of it anyway. It's in boxes.

Amen.

I stopped worrying about being a completist after it became pretty clear that I wasn't likely going to achieve complete status with artists I am interested in. I was picking up all the Masters of Jazz Wardell Gray issues and had high hopes on that one though. I do still keep an eye out for anything I see him as a sideman on.

I tried to be a David Murray completist, but I'm a slightly more selective these days. I still make a point of listing all the recordings I come across though.

Interested Murray fans are welcome to a copy of my listing(in Excel).

PS I'm a Blue Note label completist as well.

Edited by JohnS

Frank Sinatra.

I have all the US issued CDs along with some unauthorized recordings......and always looking for more.

Now I'm working on the Dick's Picks series by the Grateful Dead- I have about half so far.

It's a disease, really........selling sets and letting go is invigorating in it's own way and the first step to recovery.

I am an Alan Shorter completist, but that was pretty easy since he doesn't make that many appearances. Ditto Ric Colbeck and Giuseppi Logan. Easy...

I was on that Shepp-completist track until I realized that so many of his albums sound so very similar, and that he lost a bit of momentum in the early 70s.

I mean, I'd rather hear someone new than someone familiar... but it really, really never ends.

"...but it really, really never ends." How stone-to-the-bone true!

About 20 years ago, I began to realize my Economics 101 Law of

Diminishing Marginal Utility -- that you get proportionally LESS benefit

(and enjoyment) from, say, your 20th Lee Morgan album than the 19th.

In consuming recorded music, the LODMU varies with each artist and collector.

But at some point, the 'Law' kicks in -- and you can't deny it. Whether

or not you're aware of getting slightly less pleasure, the 'jones' fix is in

and the monkey is still riding on your back.

In this new milennium, it might be the Ferengi Laws of Acquisition

and/or the antics of Karl Rove, which will take most of us to the cleaners.

But that's for another topic thread.

I've found that the pursuit and anticipation are often as much (or more) fun than the attainment. I love the feeling of ordering something and knowing that one day soon there will be that little package at the front door. Like my soon-to-arrive Liebman and Reece Selects. Or my CDUniverse order (with all the new RVGs) that's also on the way. Recordings that I (for the most part) already owned but am for some reason buying again. This is very much due to hanging out here. It hurts so good. :blink:

With certain artists I will buy anything their name is on, for example Lee Morgan or Woody Shaw. I can do without owning every last thing, that is until I come here and someone says "you gotta get that", and I'm off to order it. You guys are killin' me......but in a good way............. :):(

My only completist track is (strangely enough) outside of the jazz realm. This is largely because--sorry guys but--CDs kind of take the fun out of really being a "completist". It's all about rekkids and trying to obtain every LP by any jazz artist is too rich for my blood. Especially with the dudes that I'm most into: Dolphy, Ayler, etc. Yikes!

I am slowly but surely trying to get as many ESPs and Actuels as I can, though our own "clifford thornton" is way ahead of me as far as that's concerned. (Pun intended.)

My personal and very active hunt is for any and all hip hop records produced by Pete Rock. If you're aren't familiar with Pete Rock then, first of all, that's probaly why you don't like rap music. Secondly, you should know that besides his own records he's produced scores of remixes over the last 15 years. It's really quite a daunting task, but awfuly fun. Unfortunately, some of his older 12"es now go for upwards of $75 so I'm basically back to the jazz thing again, huh.

Surely, the most difficult Pete Rock record to find is the unreleased I.N.I. album!

Wrong.......but very close. (Good call, by the way!) To the best of my knowledge--and I'm pretty damned sure about this--they never actually pressed any InI LPs. It never even got to the point. Rather like the ill-fated Large Professor LP that was supposed to come out in 1995 on Geffen. They did press a 12" for "Fakin Jax", however, which I saw at Dusty Groove about two years ago for $40. The holy grail of Pete Rock records is definately the 12" for "The Creator" featuring the "Surfboard Remix". That thing goes for an insane amount of money. Usually over a $100. They didn't make very many.

That I.N.I. album, like the Large Professor "LP", was released as promo only. There are official label releases (Elektra or East West? & Geffen) out there, as I once owned both of them.

I would say the rarest hiphop record I ever had was a test pressing of BDP's "Poetry" single. I bought it and immediately traded it to the Masters at Work DJ, Kenny Dope, for five singles and five complete LPs. These included: "93' Till Infinity" Blue Wax LP, Diamind D's first LP, Special Ed's "I Got It Made" orginal 12", and a few others. That was probably the greatest trade I have ever made!! It was pretty cool having him tell me he owned a house full of records with three copies of nearly everything. It's no wonder he didn't even flinch when I asked for that much in return.

Unfortunately, I no longer listen to hiphop (or LPs) and thus traded/sold most of my stuff to a local Toronto DJ. -_-

Edited by undergroundagent

That I.N.I. album, like the Large Professor "LP", was released as promo only. There are official label releases (Elektra or East West? & Geffen) out there, as I once owned both of them.

I would say the rarest hiphop record I ever had was a test pressing of BDP's "Poetry" single. I bought it and immediately traded it to the Masters at Work DJ, Kenny Dope, for five singles and five complete LPs. These included: "93' Till Infinity" Blue Wax LP, Diamind D's first LP, Special Ed's "I Got It Made" orginal 12", and a few others. That was probably the greatest trade I have ever made!! It was pretty cool having him tell me he owned a house full of records with three copies of nearly everything. It's no wonder he didn't even flinch when I asked for that much in return.

Unfortunately, I no longer listen to hiphop (or LPs) and thus traded/sold most of my stuff to a local Toronto DJ. -_-

I'll be damned.....

I didn't know that. The InI record is good but I find the MCing pretty weak. Production is insane, however. "Think Twice" is one of my favorite procuctions of all time. That Special Ed track is a straight classic. One of the best 45 King productions ever! And this is to say nothing for that Diamond D record.....

Current faves: Kurious "I'm Kurious", Positive K "Carhoppers", Groove B Chill Starting from Zero, Jemini the Gifted One "Funk Soul Sensation", Edo G "Sayin Somethin" and (embarassingly enough) a mash-up somebody did of Marvin Gaye "Sexual Healing" over the first couple bars of NWA "Express Yourself" (before the Watts 103rd sample kicks in). That one in particular is absolutely stupid.

You need to get back on the bus, man. You're younger than me!