Clifford Brown revisited

Milestones

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Dizzy & Miles were the first two. Fats was the third, but his immediate impact got dulled due to a variety of factors, including his early demise.

You could maybe put KD in there as well, but you can trace his blend to Dizzy & Miles combined. Fats was pretty much his own voice. But once Clifford broke out, his (Fats') actually became the dominant style, that eighth-note chord running (oversimplified, I know) approach of his.

As for 78s...I won't try to persuade anybody anything about subjective tastes, but there is so much magnificent music created on 78s...maybe listen to them on LP instead of CD! :g

Without disagreeing at all with the Dizzy/Miles/Fats taxonomy of creating separate schools, I would just add an adjacent footnote that Howard McGhee is the forgotten man of the bebop era -- Dizzy, Maggie, and Fats were the true first generation bebop trumpeters. (I think of Miles as a half-generation behind those three.) Maggie didn't start a school of course; he came of the Eldridge/Dizzy line -- but that motherfucker could PLAY as far back as the Andy Kirk band, where a section mate for a bit was Fats, who always said he got a lot from McGhee. My next Jazz Times column takes a close look at McGhee in the ‘40s. 

Carry on.  

Re: Clifford

Short list of the greatest improvisations captured on tape. His second bridge (!!) is among my favorite eight bars in music.

Edited by Mark Stryker

9 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Without disagreeing at all with the Dizzy/Miles/Fats taxonomy of creating separate schools, I would just add an adjacent footnote that Howard McGhee is the forgotten man of the bebop era -- Dizzy, Maggie, and Fats were the true first generation bebop trumpeters. (I think of Miles as a half-generation behind those three.) Maggie didn't start a school of course; he came of the Eldridge/Dizzy line -- but that motherfucker could PLAY as far back as the Andy Kirk band, where a section mate for a bit was Fats, who always said he got a lot from McGhee. My next Jazz Times column takes a close look at McGhee …

Word!

You are writing for Jazz Times now? Regularly? I gave up on them years ago...if you're in there regularly, I'll take a stop at the magazine racks!

10 hours ago, felser said:

J.C. Fields was 57 cents for good cutout albums.  A store in Philly had cutout Blue Notes and Cobblestones, etc., and everything in the store was a dollar.

I have nice memories of getting cheap BN and impulse! LPs from the Third Street Jazz cutout bin. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Word!

You are writing for Jazz Times now? Regularly? I gave up on them years ago...if you're in there regularly, I'll take a stop at the magazine racks!

I’m writing the monthly Chronology column for them. Basically a historical focus, usually around a particular corner of someone’s career or discography, but it’s loose enough to go in any direction. I try and follow the theme of the issue — this month was “legends” so I write about Quincy Jones as an arranger for hire in the 50s. Next month was “brass” so I’ve written about McGhee in the 1940s. Following month is “drums” and I’ve  gone a little broader and written about Peter Washington and Kenny Washington as a team. 

They’ve  been posting them online ...

https://jazztimes.com/author/mark-stryker/

Edited by Mark Stryker

38 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

I’m writing the monthly Chronology column for them. Basically a historical focus, usually around a particular corner of someone’s career or discography, but it’s loose enough to go in any direction. I try and follow the theme of the issue — this month was “legends” so I write about Quincy Jones as an arranger for hire in the 50s. Next month was “brass” so I’ve written about McGhee in the 1940s. Following month is “drums” and I’ve  gone a little broader and written about Peter Washington and Kenny Washington as a team. 

So pleased to see the Washingtons recognised! An album with them in the rhythm section always has something extra!

18 hours ago, felser said:

Good ones although my favorites are Dameron and Fats. 

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

I enjoyed the Quincy one. He doesn’t get his due in jazz. 

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have nice memories of getting cheap BN and impulse! LPs from the Third Street Jazz cutout bin. 

Me too, Jerry Gordon magic!  Headed down there on the subway every payday when I worked in Center City Philly!

7 minutes ago, felser said:

Me too, Jerry Gordon magic!  Headed down there on the subway every payday when I worked in Center City Philly!

Given that you are near Philly, I assume that over the years you have made the trek to Princeton Record Exchange?  I used to love that place, but based on my most recent experiences - which frankly aren't all that recent - it's not what it was in the early- to mid-1990s.

Just now, Teasing the Korean said:

Given that you are near Philly, I assume that over the years you have made the trek to Princeton Record Exchange?  I used to love that place, but based on my most recent experiences - which frankly aren't all that recent - it's not what it was in the early- to mid-1990s.

Actually only went twice.  I live in the western suburbs, so Princeton is a long trek, and I wasn't that impressed either time I went.  There were a lot of used record places a lot closer to me, with Plastic Fantastic in Bryn Mawr being a favorite.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The last time I was there a few months ago the Jazz section wasn’t great. I think the pandemic has hurt them. 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

The last time I was there a few months ago the Jazz section wasn’t great. I think the pandemic has hurt them. 

I used to spend almost the entire day looking at the dollar LPs on the floor, under the main racks.  I would then spend the last hour quickly going through the jazz and soundtracks section.  

Those were fun times.  

Princeton Record Exchange and Stereo Jack's are my two favorite record stores, but that is based in part on the geography where I was the and the era in which I was buying lots of LPs.