Gillespiana Suite reprise

Larry Kart

I didn't know that after Gillespie recorded Lalo Schifrin's Gillespiana Suite for  Dizzy and large ensemble for Verve on 11/14-15 1960, Gillespie and his regular quintet (Leo Wright, Schifrin, Art Davis, and Chuck Lampkin) began to play the piece regularly (minus the large ensemble) in concerts and clubs. At least one of these concerts --at the Salle Pleyel in Paris on 11/20 1960, with Candido added on two tracks --was recorded by Europe 1. Issued by Malaco Jazz Records in 1998, it's sensational. Sound quality is excellent, and Dizzy --indeed the whole band -- is inspired. Have to admit that having heard a great deal of Dizzy in my earlier years, recently I'd sort of gone to sleep on him to some degree, thinking that I knew his work so well that he couldn't surprise me much any more. Was I wrong! There are any number of passages here for which -- again -- sensational, even shocking, are the only words.

16 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I didn't know that after Gillespie recorded Lalo Schifrin's Gillespiana Suite for  Dizzy and large ensemble for Verve on 11/14-15 1960, Gillespie and his regular quintet (Leo Wright, Schifrin, Art Davis, and Chuck Lampkin) began to play the piece regularly (minus the large ensemble) in concerts and clubs. At least one of these concerts --at the Salle Pleyel in Paris on 11/20 1960, with Candido added on two tracks --was recorded by Europe 1. Issued by Malaco Jazz Records in 1998, it's sensational. Sound quality is excellent, and Dizzy --indeed the whole band -- is inspired. Have to admit that having heard a great deal of Dizzy in my earlier years, recently I'd sort of gone to sleep on him to some degree, thinking that I knew his work so well that he couldn't surprise me much any more. Was I wrong! There are any number of passages here for which -- again -- sensational, even shocking, are the only words.

Can you share the cover art or a Discogs link?  I'm not sure if I have this.  I have tons of Lalo Schifrin, including a lot of his work with Did.

I really like that group that Dizzy was playing with at that point, also sometimes with Elek Bacsik on guitar.