Mark Stryker: “The Early Bebop Education of Howard McGhee”

19 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Excellent article, Mark, with plenty of trademark punchy writing and succinctly detailed musical analysis—thanks much for sharing it here. DeVeaux’s The Birth Of Bebop was an eye-and-ear opening read for me when it came out, especially in regard to McGhee. 

Wonderful article, Mark ! Really enjoyed it. 

I love McGhee´s trumpet from the first time I heard it on Fats Navarro-Howard McGhee Boptet. 

He is also fantastic on a Spotlite LP "Afro-Cuban" with Brew Moore and the Machito band. On Howard´s Blues it´s just incredible how strong he is. 

Also like very much his BN recordings 1950 and 53.

He had slowed down a bit in the 60´s but still is great on the Black Lion LP "Nightwork" with Sonny Stitt as the leader. 

Once I read an interview with Howard McGhee´s son "Bootsy", were he says something about his father. 

Just one remark abut Scott DeVeaux' "Birth of Bebop" book: I bought it when it came out (despite the hefty import price) and enjoyed reading it a lot as it covers one of my core periods and styles of interest in jazz. BUT - what's that grossly inflated amount of space allocated to Coleman Hawkins? Much as I enjoy all his 40s recordings and realize he had quite a few of the "young turks of Bebop" working in his groups at various times, isn't that rather a lopsided description of 40s jazz (and its protagonists) as it evolved into bebop/modern jazz? To me this somehow detracts from the overall impact of the book as IMO it seems the author has an agenda that goes beyond the historically balanced presentation of the facts and I would not be surprised if in some circles this would lower its credibility as a reference source. What would you, Mark Stryker, as a renowned author have (or like) to comment on that aspect of the book?

Yes, and one minor detail about the online version of your (very interesting) story. The reissue label of McGhee's Dial recordings is Spotlite. not Spotlight.

Edited by Big Beat Steve