“Live at the Plugged Nickel” — just *not* Miles Davis

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I got these in a twofer a few years back for effectively no money. One of my favourite LPs.

Yeah, it's some of their best on record.  And Junior Mance!!!

10 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Yes.  I only just found out about this one.  I guess I edited my previous post before you replied.  Know of any others from there?

Nope! :) 

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Aside from the obvious -- Ahmad Jamal -- I don't know of any.

What I have only recently learned is that the Pershing Lounge was in basement of the Pershing Hotel and was not a particularly large or posh room (talk about image confronting reality!). Before Jaml record there, (as the Pershing), it was known as Birdland, and then changed (for obvious reasons) to Budland, which is where Sun Ra's Arkestra had it's first "major" gig. It's the room where the Ra performance footage in the Cry Of Jazz was shot.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What I have only recently learned is that the Pershing Lounge was in basement of the Pershing Hotel and was not a particularly large or posh room (talk about image confronting reality!). Before Jaml record there, (as the Pershing), it was known as Birdland, and then changed (for obvious reasons) to Budland, which is where Sun Ra's Arkestra had it's first "major" gig. It's the room where the Ra performance footage in the Cry Of Jazz was shot.

Cool!  I didn't know any of that stuff.  :tup 

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Cool!  I didn't know any of that stuff.  :tup 

I only just learned it myself, from that Sun Ra In The City book, or whatever it's called. Chock full of information, just have a beverage handy, because the academic tone of the lingo is regularly quite dry. But - absolutely worth it.

Humorously enough, they talk about the Pershing (both hotel and lounge) in the context of South Side real estate & social evolutions. Not one word about the Jamal record. But, you know, I already knew about that, so, missing pieces filled in, good. Still a teensie bit of "outside" context wouldn't hurt any, right?

If I'm misremembering any of this, please correct, anybody!

https://southsideweekly.com/64th-cottage-grove/

http://jackojazz.com/files/2213/3304/6062/Pershing_Hotel170.pdf

https://www.domu.com/chicago/neighborhoods/woodlawn/history-in-woodlawn

postcard-chicago-pershing-hotel-64th-and

and then...you can see the sign for Budland...wonder what that record store was?

4668541360_ab6c27cec7_b.jpg

Speaking of Chicago nightclubs, when I was there this summer, I saw the London House.  I understand that they no longer book jazz, but I immediately thought of recordings made there back in the day by Oscar Peterson and Tyree Glenn.

Were there other live recordings from that club?

Edited by HutchFan

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Speaking of Chicago nightclubs, when I was there this summer, I saw the London House.  I understand that they no longer book jazz, but I immediately thought of recordings made there back in the day by Oscar Peterson and Tyree Glenn.

81GqaiMNycL._SS500_.jpg

for one. I thought of chiming in with this (grew up in suburban Chi. and find the album/song title funny), but figured there'd be too many recordings at that venue.

After some research, there are a whole lot!: https://www.discogs.com/label/347535-London-House-Chicago

Edited by T.D.

A word for the Plugged Nickle - from circa '64 through '68 I saw Miles Davis, Horace Silver, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane (3 times). I am sure I am forgetting others.

Too bad only Miles was recorded.

40 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

What is now called the London House seems to be a Hilton property. The old structure is gone. 30 years ago the old building was a Burger King IIRC.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

A word for the Plugged Nickle - from circa '64 through '68 I saw Miles Davis, Horace Silver, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane (3 times). I am sure I am forgetting others.

Too bad only Miles was recorded.

What is now called the London House seems to be a Hilton property. The old structure is gone. 30 years ago the old building was a Burger King IIRC.

In addition to the people Chuck saw at the Plugged Nickel, though I think I missed out on Jimmy Smith, I saw the MJQ and the Art Farmer Quartet (with Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow, and Pete La Roca). The MJQ engagement was fun because the place was packed and the only seat I could find was virtually at John Lewis' right elbow. This meant that Lewis' characteristic contrapuntal backing for Bags was a good deal louder to my ears than the vibes were, which gave me a nice education into what Lewis was doing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others too.

Red Garland at the Prelude

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

Charles Earland - Living Black! (@ The Key Club, Newark, NJ).

There was also Rhoda Scott's second album.

R-3381177-1328306608.jpeg.jpg

Other Newark venues included The Cliche Lounge

Alive! album cover

The Cadillac Club

The Scorpion (Live At The Cadillac Club) (LP, Album) album cover

The Front Room

Live! (LP, Album, Stereo) album cover

Queen Of The Organ (LP, Album, Stereo) album cover

The Golden Slipper
Black Pearl (LP, Album) album cover

R-1918281-1277793998.jpeg.jpg

Most of those clubs were neighbours. The Cadillac was diagonally opposite the Key Club on Halsey & Williams Streets. The Cliche Lounge was a short distance along Halsey. And there were other clubs. Bob Porter gave me a guided tour of the old places where there were clubs when I visited Newark in '96.

MG

Other little places included

Club Baron in New York, where Trudy Pitts made this GREAT album

R-3844154-1566723780-3341.jpeg.jpg

And of course, there was Jimmy Smith's Supper Club, in LA somewhere

R-2592039-1339145943-7176.jpeg.jpg

A GREAT live session with Teddy Edwards and Blue Mitchell. No one should be without it.

Speaking of Jimmy Smith, this was done in Paschal's La Carousel, in Atlanta

R-16075552-1602994369-3101.jpeg.jpg

Also not to be forgotten is Grace's Little Belmont Club, in Atlantic City

R-4200695-1453823043-9692.jpeg.jpg

More later, when I can get round to it.

MG

Oh, and HOW can any member of Organissimo forget Jimmy Forrest, Shirley Scott & Randy Marsh? Done at The Alibi Club, Grand Rapids, Mich

Heart Of The Forrest (LP, Album, Stereo) album cover

More from Jimmy & Shirley - with Al Grey

Live At Rick's (LP, Album) album cover

Done at Rick's on the Lake, Chicago. Like the Griff & Jaws session at Mintons, this is spread out in three albums. I've assembled the whole lot. with duplicates removed, it comes to an hour and 53 minutes.

Small's Paradise hasn't had a mention, but not too many albums were made there.

Jimmy Smith did two

R-9574824-1617883818-2544.jpeg.jpg

R-1693239-1296530292.jpeg.jpg

King Curtis made one

R-2194708-1282060691.jpeg.jpg

But I just found this by Babs Gonzales on Discogs

R-5074310-1430775391-8116.jpeg.jpg

And this Roy Brooks

R-2254779-1592929291-1632.jpeg.jpg

MG

Another unknown organ room was the Bon Ton Club, in Buffalo, NY. Idris Muhammad made his first jazz recording here, paying his first visit to the United States, as Lou said, on this

R-14415249-1574927581-3835.jpeg.jpg

I've had this album for decades but I only just noticed the venue and cracked up

This MUST be the only album recorded at the Bombay Bicycle Club, LA

R-1078519-1432566560-5287.jpeg.jpg

YAAAY for the Bombay Bicycle Club!!!!!

Back to Atlantic City. This was done at Club Harlem, there

R-712547-1172911848.jpeg.jpg

Someone mentioned The Trianon in Chicago earlier. I think it wasn't a club but a pukka ballroom, but this was done there.

R-2860667-1529971195-1503.jpeg.jpg

I can't see a credit for the cover art, but it's great! And a Columbia album yet!

MG

Oh yes, there's ESPM, the Reunion, recorded at Akbar Hall, in Philly in 1998.

R-19435678-1625859404-4080.jpeg.jpg

In St Louis, there was the Holy Barbarian Coffee House.

R-7897037-1451196518-1166.jpeg.jpg

There was also The Renaissance, in LA, where Spoon recorded this

R-13735284-1560020578-8749.jpeg.jpg

Also in LA, The Black Orchid

R-3284389-1384643795-5472.jpeg.jpg

There was The Bit, too, in LA, where Les did his first live album

R-2774897-1318465328.jpeg.jpg

Jackie Ivory, Live at Jack's Bar, San Francisco 

R-3415566-1329545531.jpeg.jpg

Etta and Houston live at Salt Peanuts, NYC in 1980

R-18936997-1622315632-9622.jpeg.jpg

Wes Montgomery at Tsubo, Berkeley