Standards by non-standard people

3 minutes ago, crisp said:

Joe Pesci didn't write The Folks Who Live On The Hill

No, I just looked at the credits on Peggy Lee's version and it's J kern and O Hammerstein (I I think).

So who's Joe Pesci, if he ain't a trade union boss, and why's he here? OK, he's an actor who often played gangsters, but what standards has he written?

MG 

I think someone misunderstood the brief.

Anyway, Jacques Prévert, one of the writers of Autumn Leaves, was a poet and screenwriter. The song is actually a setting of one of his poems, it seems.

Ill-fated singer Russ Columbo co-wrote Prisoner of Love

The actor Gene Lockhart co-wrote The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise.

And how could we forget Bertolt Brecht, who co-wrote Mack the Knife?

Prevert was a poet and screenwriter, but also a songwriter. Because he's French, his work is little known elsewhere. But, actually, it's not hard for a popular poet to have written the words to a good many songs.

Brecht wrote The Threepenny Opera, with Kurt Weil. He also wrote two versions of Mahagonny with songs included with Weil. Later he collaborated with Hans Eisler on a number of plays with songs. He was no one shot wonder as a songwriter.

MG

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Prevert was a poet and screenwriter, but also a songwriter. Because he's French, his work is little known elsewhere. But, actually, it's not hard for a popular poet to have written the words to a good many songs.

Brecht wrote The Threepenny Opera, with Kurt Weil. He also wrote two versions of Mahagonny with songs included with Weil. Later he collaborated with Hans Eisler on a number of plays with songs. He was no one shot wonder as a songwriter.

MG

Ah, yes! Jacques Pervert. Not to mention Andrew Preview!