Vanguard R&B / Jazz intersection

Rabshakeh

It feels like the link between artists like Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jaki Byard, and Archie Shepp doesn't get explored enough.

All of these artists essentially riff on a certain sort of African American pop music, somewhere between soul, pop and jazz (but not "soul jazz") that is epitomised to my wooden British ears by Ray Charles' big band work. 

The first named set of musicians take this very populist music down (for the 1950s) quite avant garde paths, emphasising dissonance and going outside. It's a form of postmodernism that stands out in the 1950s and 1960s, during which "high culture" modernist vanguard thinking seems to have remained paramount. I found Kirk's (in particular) populism shocking when I first heard it. Their work is noticeably different to other vanguardists and traditionalists from the time, and even from the soul jazzers or retro/swing guys. Only Archie Shepp really seems to fit within the "New Thing", and, even then, it seems that this "post-modernist" streak emerged after he made his name, and then (unless I am wrong) did him no favours in the eyes of contemporary critics. I think that all of this changed significantly with the late 70s, when The Tradition came back into style, but even then, the soul/pop source material has continued unexplored.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this mode of music making. Is there a link, or is this all just desperate Monday morning procrastination. Are there any other musicians that fit into this category? 

Edited by Rabshakeh