Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles

Tom 1960

I recently picked that up, based on the excellent review by Rooster_Ties: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/86349-freedom-mini-lp-series-paul-bley-dewey-redman-dollar-brand-ted-curson/&page=5

Previously owned the Black Lion, which sounded like absolute crap, Tyrone Washington practically inaudible. I almost never do sonic upgrades, but felt it necessary for this.

Speaking of which, 3 more Freedom reissues from DG just arrived today ! Charles Tolliver The Ringer, Stanley Cowell Blues for the Viet Cong and Julius Hemphill Dogon A. D. Yowzah.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Is this CD really an upgrade from the Arista/Freedom LP? I know not everybody is going to be able to know, but I've never bought a CD of this one...great album, but the LP is hardly a marvel of modern engineering, if you know what I mean...

Bertrand and I both got copies.

The main album (4 tracks) sounds much, much better than any version I’ve ever heard, and Tyrone is actually (properly) audible, right in balance with Woody. Bertrand said he thought the vibes were still a bit buried, but — overall — the SQ of the main 4-track album is a LOT better than either the original LP mix (which ain’t so great, but serviceable). And it’s lightyears better than the Black Lion CD edition (which is the single worse-sounding studio recording ever released from the modern era, that I think I’ve ever heard).

Now, all that glowing praise is only for the main 4-track album (the original LP tracks).  Because the two (2) bonus tracks — both of them — suffer from the same mixing issues (Tyrone is buried in the mix), that that Black Lion Cd has — although the overall SQ of those same two bonus tracks is noticeably better (but the mix is still wrong; the balances are still wrong).

Overall, the glass is about 80% full on this new Japanese CD issue, and I’m not at all sorry I got it — but for $25, I do wish the two bonus tracks sounded as damn good as the main album (first 4 tracks) does.

EDIT:  I previously had both a Black Lion CD (legit), and a burn of the Arista/Freedom LP — to compare things with.

Edited by Rooster_Ties