Norm MacDonald, RIP

Pretty gutting news - his work was a big part of my youth. Not to take this conversation in that direction, but more recognition of a feat of consequence: anecdotally, he seemed like one of only a handful of comedians who could engender positive feelings from both sides of the political spectrum. The fact that he was able to do what he did - so hilariously, and artfully enough to build a kind of consensus - is remarkable. 

I always (but only) “kinda liked” Norm — even way back. But as I got older, I grew to appreciate him more. I never out-n-out loved his brand of humor, but — also the older I’ve gotten — I’ve come to respect humorists who seem to tell jokes as much for other comedians (and writers), as for the general public.  And it seemed to me that Norm was that sort of comedian. Anti-jokes. Punchlines that broke all the rules of conventionality. A fearlessness to tell jokes that might bomb, but then rub certain sorts of people’s funny-bones DEEP.

Solid guy, and he made you think, which is always appreciated. RIP.

Edited by Rooster_Ties