Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - First Flight to Tokyo

Brad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first instinct was that they are pulling the wool over people's eyes and pretending that the Day with Art Blakey releases never occurred but since the track lists are different, this gets a HELL YEAH from me.  Maybe the Zev association with BN will get us more like this.

Here is some more info via CD Japan:

”A historic performance that revolutionized jazz culture in Japan. The sound source for this album was recorded for the documentary film "Kuroi Sakuretsu" that followed the tour in Japan, but the film was destroyed due to rights issues, and the whereabouts of the master tape have been unknown for a long time. In 2017, the tape was discovered in the estate of a film crew member, and after several years of research, Blue Note Records in the U.S. has now released it worldwide.”

Excellent.

If Feldman is looking for some more Blakey, there are two tracks with Kenny Dorham subbing for Lee Morgan at Newport in 1961 at the Library of Congress. This would have to be coupled with other material, e.g. the Blakey 1959 Newport with Mobley and Morgan that has never been officially released. I would buy it.

7 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I’m in! This is proving to be a good year for Lee Morgan fans.

True, very true, and all good…

But what I’m chompin’ at the bit for is something more unlike material we’ve already had and heard for 2 or 3 decades.

Live documentation of Blakey bands from this era abound.

Where’s some previously unreleased (presumably live) Joe Henderson from the 60’s? That piano-less Monterey set from 1966 (irrc), the one w/ Bobby Hutcherson, Elvin, and I wanna say Albert Stinson (one track’s been issued before, but not the whole set) — couple that with some other Henderson (even if it’s short too), and you’ve got a whole, long CD’s worth.

55 minutes ago, felser said:

It's Blakey and Blue Note, so of course I'm going to dutifully buy it and certainly enjoy listening it, but I can't imagine that it's going to tell me anything I don't already know about that group.  

Did the expanded Morgan at the Lighthouse tell you anything new either?

I am one who is always ready for "new" from the "old faithfuls" - (and my objection to the "complete" Morgan is that it isn't so much "new" as "a lot more of the same.")

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Did the expanded Morgan at the Lighthouse tell you anything new either?

It did, plus I liked how it contextualized what I already had heard (plus I liked the sound and packaging and price) but I only had one of it, have so many live recordings of the Morgan/Shorter/Timmons/Merritt/Blakey config.   

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Here is some more info via CD Japan:

”A historic performance that revolutionized jazz culture in Japan. The sound source for this album was recorded for the documentary film "Kuroi Sakuretsu" that followed the tour in Japan, but the film was destroyed due to rights issues, and the whereabouts of the master tape have been unknown for a long time. In 2017, the tape was discovered in the estate of a film crew member, and after several years of research, Blue Note Records in the U.S. has now released it worldwide.”

I wonder whether these recordings are in mono or stereo.  Given that the sound was intended for film, I’m guessing mono.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Never saw that before though I did receive a video transfer of the group with a Japanese big band, must be this same recording, once gave serious thought to using it on a BFT.

Mono, but pretty good presence for all of the instruments, given it's a 60 year old live recording.  Always glad when you can actually hear the bass player on this sort of thing, rather than just sort of sensingg them, though still wish the bass were much louder in the mix.  But works for me.  BTW, Amazon did not have CD release listed, though the BN site indicated there is one.

Edited by felser

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Never saw that before though I did receive a video transfer of the group with a Japanese big band, must be this same recording, once gave serious thought to using it on a BFT.

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-15766371-1597415167-5983.jpeg.jpg

Video of the entire January 11, 1961 set.  Six tracks total including the two tracks with the Nobuo Hara Sharps and Flats big band.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 2:07 PM, mikeweil said:

I thought that was a boot, but it's actually a legit release by the Something Else label out of Japan. They partnered a lot with Blue Note for a good while, wonder why thins on never came over...anyway, I found a nicely-priced copy on discogs and it's on the way.